TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How often do you block with the sword?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • I walk around blocking all the time.

3 2.38%
  • Fairly often.

9 7.14%
  • Rarely, but sometimes.

30 23.81%
  • Not at all.

72 57.14%
  • You can block with the sword?

12 9.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use the sword's blocking ability?

Why should you block when you're suppose to stay hidden anyway.
    Sigh, usually when you've spent over three years playing a game, you tend to try new things, trying to get as much out of the game as possible, swordfighting is a component of Thief, and thus should be enjoyed even if on rare ocassions.

ZylonBane
    Originally posted by Child of Karras
    It's usueless unless you play Thief Quake-style.
    It must be comforting to live in such a simple, black-and-white world.

Zylon

A stealth game should always remain stealth. Besides, there are more and better methods out there like Lytha and ghosting.

'A stealth game should always remain stealth.'

If that's true, then why did the developers add it to the game? Are you saying you know their game better than they do?

I personally find it much cheaper to reload a save game than to use a sword. If you make a mistake and a guard spots you, the cheap thing to do is to reload and pretend you didn't make a mistake. Serious players will deal with the results of their actions.

Originally posted by DMouse
    If that's true, then why did the developers add it to the game? Are you saying you know their game better than they do?
    If so, then why call it THIEF and not CRUSADER? It's a stealth game but you don't have to use stealth? Not much sense is there? It's like saying you can play puzzle bobble without having to match the bubbles accordinly to thier color.

If so, then why call it THIEF and not CRUSADER? It's a stealth game but you don't have to use stealth? Not much sense is there? It's like saying you can play puzzle bobble without having to match the bubbles accordinly to thier color.
    Yeah but those are the rules to that game. There are no rules that specify you can't run around killing everyone or shooting fire arrows everywhere. No rule states that you must never be seen or heard (I'm talking generally so don't bring up missions).

The best quality of Thief is the choice. The game starts you off and tells you what to do and where to go, how you get there is your choice.

If so, then why call it THIEF and not CRUSADER?
    Why would Garrett even drag a sword around if he never intended to use it? Have a look at the game manual under "Combat". The first line reads: "Sometimes, thieving can be made easier by a measured application of force." It's obviously a part of the game.

Personally I prefer to sneak as quietly as possible, but if I screw up and alert guards I draw the sword (as long as the objectives allow it). It's still thieving if you ask me.

To those who argue over whether using the sword or blackjack is the "right way" to play Thief 1/2, let me ask you this - what is the "right" way to go through a mansion-like mission - bottom to top, top to bottom, west to east, randomly? It all depends on your preferred playing style. It is correct to knock out every guard in a mission, and it is just as correct to ghost a mission, or to kill everything that moves - so long as the objectives are satisfied. Whether I sneak by a guard, sneak up behind and knock him/her out, kill him/her with a stealthy backstab, kill him/her in face-to-face combat, or pick him/her off with a broadhead from a long distance, I'm still playing Thief, and I'm still playing by the rules.

Child of Karras, there is nothing wrong with using the sword on humans, and certainly not on monsters, particuarly hammer haunts. The sword is quite useful in some situations against AIs, not to mention cutting banners... And yes, I do try to stay hidden. You can certainly play any way you wish - as Aedryn said, "The best quality of Thief is the choice." I'll personally continue using the sword.

I'm playing Calendra's Legacy now...
    spoiler:
    I'm dodging and killing zombies in the city at the moment. The magical sword works fairly well for this purpose, but they're still awfully fast. I generally backstab them, but sometimes go head to head. BTW, there's this weird translucent monster-like apparition (not of a dead human) that appears now and then and looks like it's attacking me. But when I hit it, I gain hitpoints. Anyone know what this is, and if it's a glitch about the hitpoints?
    I am Garrett of Thief. Resistance is futile - you will be robbed. Your individual wealth will be added to my own.

I like to use the sword on occastion as well. It's a lot of fun to piss off a couple of guards and fight them off within an inch of your life.

Just today I fought off a pair of them in Ambush. I was perring their thrusts off as I backed up the stairs, I raised my sword high above my head, and jumped over them while i swung, hitting the one in the back and killing him. I spun around with a left to right slash, hit the remaining guard in the side, which threw him off balance. I raised up again, and smacked him on the head for the final blow.

I felt like a musketter or something. I didn't even loose any health.

I did not say the sword was completey useless. I know it is required in places like RTTHC or to take down tapestries but I find it unacceptable to use it against a guard just to get rid of him. But take a look you guys, you can take out the guards (not referring to alerted AIs) with one swing of the blackjack plus it's silent and leaves no blood. Sword on the other hand...

Let's start from the top. Thief is a game of stealth. You need to make sure you stay hidden and no one catches you right? At times you may need to take down a guard or too. Two choices. Sword of Blackjack? With the sword, he screams as he falls and leaves a puddle of blood. With the Blackjack, you take him out silently. Obvioulsy, the most sensible weapon to use here is the Blackjack am I right? Why create more trouble when you already have enough shit to go through?

And you men talk about the freedom of play? Sure but if head on assaults were acceptable, don't you think they would have made it easier? Afterall, this is about stealth and not about racking up the body count.

I'd use the sword, but it's pretty clear the developers didn't want you to...
    >Garrett is so preoccupied with not dropping the sword, other motor skills such as...MOVING are hampered.
    >Garrett is a lousy swordsman...he takes forever to finish of a guard and the noise that results from the duel will bring more guards...
    >Even if you split a guard's skull in half from behind, he bellows loudly and bleeds all over the place. Cue more guards sniffing around...
    >On expert, don't even think about swordfighting... >_>
    >Blackjacking is so easy!

There's simply no profit in dueling guards...

And you men talk about the freedom of play? Sure but if head on assaults were acceptable, don't you think they would have made it easier? Afterall, this is about stealth and not about racking up the body count.
    I'm not a man, but I'll reply anyway.

This is a game. A game that's played for fun. That's what it's about. I like having several ways to choose from when playing, that's part of the fun. Yes, the game was meant to mainly be played stealthily. Still, if there was only that option, it would get dull after a while.

I agree with you about non-alerted guards; they're much easier to blackjack or simply avoid. I doubt anyone here's saying they always go around killing everything that moves. I just think it's a part of the game to try to make it without reloading if I happen to alert guards, and sometimes that means swordfighting. In those cases I don't think it's a problem to use a sword to get rid of a guard.

Garret is a thief, not a swordsman. The sword should only ever be used to take out the odd wall hanging or piece of wood blocking a doorway.

I've discovered a method much easier that blocking (for me at least). I take a slash or two at the enemy then go back two steps so that his sword won't hit me when he swings, then go in front, two more slashes and back again. It works on about any apponent. (except bowmen)

Originally posted by w_hairst
    spoiler
    That's the Ghost of Jortul if I remember correctly. I believe it can only be drowned.
    As for the hitpoints think about the name of the sword

If the only argument you have against using the sword is 'he's a thief, he shouldn't', you can scratch it, because the manual says it is useful for thieving and it was added into the game for a reason. There are many times when using the sword becomes very helpful on a thieving mission. Does the game say 'you've lost'! or 'You're not a true thief!' if you use it? No, it dosen't. So obviously it does nothing to botch up your thieving job if you use it. The plot goes on.

If I get into a sword fight I block.

Block strike, block strike, etc, unless I see a chance to not block and kill them.

From time to time because of bug that some AI can't attack me in NewDark.

never used block,i just do the run behind them in a dark spot and blackjack them,even if alerted,i am that good at it now

I am well versed in the art of the circle strafe, so I have no need for blocking. Generally, I only ever end up in combat situations because I choose a straight up fight. Being detected for me always means getting behind the AI with a blackjack and smacking them until I find the narrow blind spot that lets me K/O them.

Never block, and always rebind space to being purely jump, so I can happily run and jump without worrying about whether I am holding a weapon and he will block instead of jumping.

If I have to take on an enemy I might run away while charging up for an overhead swing, turn around and let him or her have it, then run away while charging for another overheader, and repeat until they are dead or forced into flee mode. Well, I might finish with a normal swipe if I know that is all that is needed.

I use the sword to take out haunts & to break down barriers, never used it to fight

I play thief sometimes in an aggressive way, but I use the blocking ability very seldom. First of all, blocking doesn't always guarantee Garrett will be spared from injuries (in the Dark Mod, the blocking ability is better by far). Circling the AI ist mostly enough to cope with it. If Garrett is in rather narrow places (like floors and tunnels), it is always a better choice to put the sword away and run to a more open area...

Sometimes the "Psychotic Mass Murderer Style" is a challenging and funny choice

Does anyone else find the guards harder to kill in in T3 on easy than they are on Hard in T1/T2? With the earlier games you can run away until you have powered up to an overhead swing, turn around and whack and then repeat. They almost never get a hit in. But there is nothing like that in T3, and they do get hits in if using the circle-them strategy.

It's a shame that the sword combat is such a broken gameplay mechanic in Thief 1/2, it ruins a big part of the immersion for me. Having to draw your sword and fight your enemy should be something exciting, it should feel dangerous. Too bad that the sword fights in Thief are so silly that I often just cast the Quickload spell instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast