TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How often do you block with the sword?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • I walk around blocking all the time.

4 2.90%
  • Fairly often.

12 8.70%
  • Rarely, but sometimes.

32 23.19%
  • Not at all.

76 55.07%
  • You can block with the sword?

14 10.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use the sword's blocking ability?

Do you use the sword's blocking ability?

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually use the sword to block? I know it can, but I never use it - don't even know what key it is. And I can still take on a hammer haunt, fully alerted, with just a sword, no blocking, and win - it's all in the lunge and run...
    I am Garrett of Thief. Resistance is futile - you will be robbed. Your individual wealth will be added to my own.

I've never used it for blocking other than in the TG training mission because:
    a) I mostly don't use the sword and even then I almost only use it for backstabbing.
    b) I find that a slash and run tactic works a lot better anyway.

Stunning
    There's no need to get into any swordfights, ever, so no
    He grinned and turned out to have dimples like Prof; found myself liking him still more. "All of it, I'm afraid. I seem to have wandered into Looking Glass Land."

I never block with the sword. Sometimes I use the 'blocking' ability of the blackjack - not to block blows but to knock out AIs without dealing damage.

I don't use it often, since I almost never actually get into a swordfight, but when I do decide to fight, I always block, mostly because I think it's a really cool system. The way you actually have to "aim" the block (If it's an overhead blow and you block while looking down, it ain't gonna help much) and the way guards parry your blows as well are really cool.

Z

Sometimes I'll block if I'm face to face with a haunt but usually I backstab them.

I pretty much never use the sword, nevermind blocking. If I can get close enough to use a sword, then I can use a blackjack. And if I can't use a blackjack, then there's no reason to get close enough so I use a broadhead. On the rare occasions I do use a sword, I never need to block, as tapestries don't fight back.

Never use it. If I have to sword fight I'm of the "circle-around-&-try-&-stay-behind" lot.

Blocking is fairly useless, but it makes a swordfight fun, especially against haunts, when you have to release the block button quickly so the sword doesn't freeze in the block animation too long, them haunts chain together hits like mad, when I use it, I predict an AI's attacks to block them, I can't quite use it while running or when somewhat surprised.
    Meh, blocking rules, even if just for hearing some extra sentences from the AIs. ( Try not to block thy doom .etc )

Item Cycle

I use the block while I am trying to cycle through the inventory to find my flash bombs. once I find them, POOF!, and then I blackjack them on the head.

It works when you are cornered.

I think you can actually block with your sword using narrow, horizontal swings and this is the way I swordfight. I never use the 'default' blocking ability. It seems a little slower, at least in TDP.

Backstabbing haunts and apparitions are the only things I use the sword for.

I've found that if you block with a sword or blackjack, and you're right in front of a door or torch, Garret strikes the object with a thump or a clang. I use it once in a while to attract attention so that a guard will open a locked door or gate.

ZylonBane
    But you can do that with a regular swing too.

I use it all the time, got it even configured to my right mouse button.

I like to kill stuff

Originally posted by Shadowknight434
    I use the block while I am trying to cycle through the inventory to find my flash bombs. once I find them, POOF!, and then I blackjack them on the head.
    You can bind a key to select flashbombs directly - by default it's F6 in Thief 1 and F8 in Thief 2.

I use block in conjunction with the "run-backwards-and-raise-sword, run-forward-and-swing, repeat" method - you can block while "charging up" an overhead swing by blocking as soon as you hold the attack button. Once the overhead swing is ready, you can attack as normal. Of course, I only use this when I become quite frustrated with the game - usually in poorer FMs.

I don't even have a button mapped to the blocking function.

All the time. It's very helpful. I think people who don't swordfight are missing a lot... slash and run tactic may work better, but swordfighting is just plain fun, and Looking Glass made it more realistic and entertaining in Thief and Thief II than any other game I know of.

[B]You can bind a key to select flashbombs directly - by default it's F6 in Thief 1 and F8 in Thief 2.

Yeah, I know. But I have enought buttons bound to everything else. I just cycle though for the good ol' flashbangs.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Being a devout believer in keeping my skin unmarked, and in not sanquinating copius quantities of vital liquid from the precepts of my sacred body. And being well aware of Garretts slow responses and generally poor abilities with a sword, run and hide, or, better yet, don't get seen or caught.

RUN is my chosen method.

LOL

Actually, BlackMan, if I could record a demo or something, you'd be amazed of what ol' slow Garrett is capable of.
    If blocking is too slow, then release the button immediately after blocking an attack, the freeze will end much faster, giving you the opportunity to attack or block another hit in the case of the haunt.
    Last edited by Thiefsie Fool; 5th Aug 2003 at 03:16.

The only times I've used blocking was in the training mission to see how it worked. I never got the hang of it so I haven't used it since. I rarely get into swordfights anyway, so I don't have much need for it anyway.
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Originally posted by Thiefsie Fool
    Actually, BlackMan, if I could record a demo or something, you'd be amazed of what ol' slow Garrett is capable of.
    One on one, or maybe with two in a narrow space, I don't do too badly, but still the guards speed is about two to one. Even blocking with skill. LOL

So as a thief, I keep to the shadows.

Having some minor real life experience with a sword, and knowing the difference between a block and a parry, I don't hang on the BLOCK key. A parry and riposte is always the better of the two if you have a choice.

I rarely have to use the sword, but when I do, I don't block, I just hit their sword at a perpendicular angle, and it knocks their blade away from me, while giving me a backhanded attack

It's usueless unless you play Thief Quake-style.

Why should you block when you're suppose to stay hidden anyway.

Originally posted by theBlackman
    One on one, or maybe with two in a narrow space, I don't do too badly, but still the guards speed is about two to one. Even blocking with skill. LOL
    Use CamStudio. (Forgot the URL. Sorry.)