TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Varyx Obelisk -2001.04.20

The Varyx Obelisk -2001.04.20

I'm bummed! I cannot find the Black Blade. It may be behind the one metal door that I can't pick or have a key for. I've got all the other objectives covered. The walkthrough at 3d Action Planet does not tell where this Black Blade is. This FM is much too large and complex, and quite frankly, annoying as you are forced to ghost (at least on expert which I always play) to go running around searching for this blade, let alone another key that may not even exist.

I hope someone here can remember where that blade is. If not, I'll probably just move on to the next FM. Unfortunately, I think the blade's location is random, as it is with the Red Book. Good for replay value though.

I realize that it would be quite difficult to try to describe where anything is in this FM due to it's complexity.

I seem to remember playing another FM that had portals like in this one but can't remember the name.
    Last edited by nchw68; 13th Aug 2003 at 07:12.

HAH! I just found the Black Blade!

spoiler:
    It was at the top of a very long ladder in an octogonal room lying on the floor, kinda hard to see.

The walkthrough kept referring to "power up weapon" instead of Black Blade, so it was kinda misleading. It said that a "power up weapon may be in this room." Heck, that could've meant fire arrows or something.

Cool! Now I can finish this frustrating mission. (I hate ghosting and harming ANY AI is not allowed on expert)

Thanx for all the help!
    Last edited by nchw68; 13th Aug 2003 at 08:41.

Don't forget to play Heart and Soul after, which finishes the story. (Otherwise you'll be frustrated by how the ending hangs.)

Incidentally, the second part of Heart and Soul has perhaps the best reason ever for requiring ghosting. The rationale in Varyx was a little shakier.

Yes!
    Finally someone that plays these great missions.
    These two have got to be some of the most underestimated missions, they are UNIQUE, and Xarax not making any more sequels for T2 is great grief.
    Heart and Soul has some really good visuals, although there is a tidbit that's slightly annoying.
    Rock on.

I've been going through my FM list alphabetically, so I've already played Heart & Soul first.

So many FM's, I can't remember much about the ones I've just played, let alone the ones I played way back.

Originally posted by Thiefsie Fool
    Yes!
    Finally someone that plays these great missions.
    These two have got to be some of the most underestimated missions, they are UNIQUE, and Xarax not making any more sequels for T2 is great grief.
    Heart and Soul has some really good visuals, although there is a tidbit that's slightly annoying.
    Rock on.
    Hey, these two missions have been among my "favorite FMs" list forever! Where have you been when I've trumpeted them as some of the best under-rated missions ever ever, Thiefsie Fool? Xarax downplays his (her?) ability by claiming most of it was done with CowGen, but I still think it's a great achievement to write instructions that make such beautiful architecture. It is unique and yet feels very rooted in the Thief universe (and Thief 1 architecture/atmosphere in particular, which is fitting). I could just load up The Varyx Obelisk and sit in a dark corner, watching guards walk by and being warmed to the bone by the fitting ambients.. I could almost be transported into it if I let myself drift enough. I am only sorry Xarax hit the limits of DromEd; it would've been nice to sneak into some of those houses or see more of the Old City before the life-shattering event. I think I have played these missions as many as any other classic I've loved (Lord Edmund Entertains!, The Order Of The Vine, The Vigil).. Classic FMs, like good wine or instruments, only get better with the passing of time. Xarax definitely rocks my socks off; I hope he hears my praise from all the way in Boulder .

Damn I love those FMs!

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Originally posted by nchw68
    I've been going through my FM list alphabetically, so I've already played Heart & Soul first.
    Oh my god, you sterile little robotic man . That's like reading the last line of a book first because you want to know whether or not you'll have a desire to read it. Have you no respect for the progression of FMs, my lad?

All I can say is "I pity you, small sterile robotic man!"

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

To be honest, I don't get into the stories in the FM's. I'm in them just for the action and loot collecting.

I know. I should be hanged. Or at least neutered.
    Last edited by nchw68; 15th Aug 2003 at 06:39.

Originally posted by nchw68
    To be honest, I don't get into the stories in the FM's. I'm in them just for the action and loot collecting.

I know. I should be hanged. Or at least neutered.
    Builder save us from this mindless kleptomaniac!

deadman.

Thanks for the praises and constructive criticisms. The missions were designed to be stealthy/ghosty, because there is a large group of ghosters over at the Eidos forums that love ghosting Thief missions. I also prefer ghosting missions, because it gives me a sense of power and satisfaction to loot a mansion/whatever and the owners have no idea what the heck happened. (I think the CIA mission of Splinter Cell is a very challenging ghost mission. It requires very few knock-outs and disallows kills.)

Unfortunately, experienced thiefsie folk seem to always start a mission on Expert and ignore the so-called easier difficulties. For these 2 missions, that's a mistake. The difficulty levels are intended to change the game play. There are substantive changes to puzzles depending on difficulty. I tried to explain that in the mission briefs, but most folks missed it. They also miss the point about 3 dimensional maps and forget to look up and down, as well as left and right. Hints in the mission range from very subtle to obvious. Exploratory skills, keen sense of sight and sound, are very important.

For an example of gameplay changes, Varyx Daitillian has a fireball launcher that only appears on Ruffian difficulty (easiest). It's fun for blasting the sentinel, Lothgoren Nemis. On higher difficulties, the launcher is gone. You must find an alternative for dealing with the sentinel. Regardless of difficulty, several power ups and quest items are placed randomly when the mission starts. All of these design points are for added replay value. Black Blade can be found in one of 4 locations depending on the randomizing thing.

Anyway, as for T2 missions, my T2 sound has never worked. I have to turn the volume all the way up and it is still just a whisper. So, I never got thru more than a couple T2 original missions, and there is no way I can build T2 missions without sound. Plus, real life has gotten in my way big time (unemployed for well over a year now with mouths to feed and mortgage to pay).

I started the prequel for Varyx, "Trials of the Master Keeper", but after ten months it's only a few solid houses, a couple of AI guards, poor lighting, and the usual DromEd frustrations. So, I gave up indefinitely.

Maybe Thief3 will be a winner with a good, scriptable mission editor?

Originally posted by xarax
    I started the prequel for Varyx, "Trials of the Master Keeper", but after ten months it's only a few solid houses, a couple of AI guards, poor lighting, and the usual DromEd frustrations. So, I gave up indefinitely.

Maybe Thief3 will be a winner with a good, scriptable mission editor?
    Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!! This is worse than hearing Saturnine quit working on the sequel to The Seventh Crystal. Hang in there, Xarax! You've got a very dedicated (some might even say obsessed) fanboy in Arvada pulling for you! Trust me, I have it much worse; I easy come to a dead end because I don't know what should come next or go where, and yet I have no skills in pre-planning or drafting on paper, so I end up quitting with only two facades of houses and a few catchy slogans. It bites! What I really need to do is just build with the right side of my brain.. Stuff to be deleted after finished, gradually coming to the point where it's second nature and I can truly visualize what is to come, and the same with lighting, texturing, etc. But you have a solid basis with which to build on! Go get yourself a new system (have the government pay for it? ) and play and build in Thief 2! You're too much as a builder for this community to lose! It is a sad day indeed if you have indefinitely given up :eww

deadman.

What Deadman said!!

Help me! I got to the tunnel mouth not far from the Varyx Obelisk. This so embarrassing, but I can find a way to open the door.

*BUMP*

Please help.

I'm not sure of what door you're referring to. Read the walkthrough included in the FM archive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiefsie Fool
    walkthrough included in the FM archive
    Eh?

I'm more of a fool that I thought.

Thiefmissions.com

FYI, there's a walkthrough in the zip file and a walkthrough at http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=varyx

I know that now Jason. I look at it. It was then that I also realized the lock
    spoiler:
    RIGHT NEXT TO ME .

Ah, so it was the access tunnel to the keeper's compound, I remember missing that darn lockbox a lot on my first run too.

Mmmm, lengthy lockpicking...

Right, I should've put a light brush on the lockbox. As for lock picking, I didn't want it to be as fast as using a key, even though Garrett is a master locksmith. Oh well, what do you expect from a first mission?

Quote Originally Posted by xarax
    Oh well, what do you expect from a first mission?
    Certainly can't beat perfection

Very good mission, congratulations. Outta about 4 hours, profit in 1752