TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Night Falcon

Thiefmissions.com

The Night Falcon

I don't want to steal Christine's thunder, but this has been announced at several other places and indirectly in another thread here. So:

There's a new seven mission campaign out called The Night Falcon. It's available from http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=...Falcon-English (a German version is also available). It weighs in at about 170MB.

Currently it's only available via BitTorrent. Links to the stuff you need and the .torrent file are all on the thiefmissions.com info page for the mission. I'm doing this because I can't withstand the force of several hundred people hitting my site at once downloading a 170MB file, so please, no flames about this. Currently our torrent network is healthy and you should be able to get very fast downloads. Please remember to keep your client open after downloading the file to contribute to the bandwidth pool.

I can't say much about the mission as I'm still at work and haven't played it yet, but knowing Christine it's fantastic. Hopefully she will join in with some comments later.

For answers to questions about playing this mission please refer to the main mission thread.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 15th Nov 2012 at 09:30.

Cheers for the seeds, Jason. I'd also just like to let people who can't get BitTorrent to work (or don't want to) that I'll be hosting this on #thief-fms once I'm finished. Right now my download's at an estimated 1 hour and 11 minutes, though that could fluctuate with download (and most importantly, upload) speeds. Remember you'll have to go to my dreaded mIRC channel to get it though!

Just a poke in the ribs to taffers who didn't give us a chance. Join us.. join us.. join us now!

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

cumpewter illiterate nerd is confused...

I downloaded BitTorrent, but I still don't get it....? Is this like a server thing where to download my computer has to be constantly hooked up to the internet to act as a sub-server???

Okay, I read the other thread. So it is kinda like what I said.

To download it entirely you have to be connected to the internet, yes, Caradavin. The beauty in BitTorrent is you can help spread it yourself and give others faster download rates by keeping it open (especially after you're finished downloading). Just think of it as downloading a bit of information, and then spreading that information while downloading more, and as the process continues everyone gets more of the file and they get it quicker too. BitTorrent may not be perfect, but it can be pretty cool under ideal conditions So yes, you're a 'sub-server' in a way.

deadman.

EDIT: Also see this page if you want more info and a good FAQ.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Thiefmissions.com

You're free to close the client and disconnect from the Internet or whatever as soon as you have the file. It's just nice if you keep the client open, because then you contribute a little to the overall bandwidth available to others who are trying to download. Too many downloaders and too few seeds leads to slow downloads. If you have a bunch of seeds then people see really fast downloads.

How do you start BitTorrent up again after you click finish? Once I shut down BitTorrent after downloading something, I can never open it again...

Going to the BitTorrent directory only shows one .exe file, and it's called btdownloadgui.exe and it only opens an Open File dialog that doesn't really help serve up files for anyone else. Very sketchy help files (at that address above) don't seem to apply to my version. I'm confused...

I've got it in mIRC listed as Night-Falcon-English.zip if anyone wants to get it from there, since BitTorrent is reluctant at the moment to share it...
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 3rd Sep 2003 at 18:50.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Start Bit torrent. Put the URL of the file in the address box. GET TORRENT.

The tracker will check your files. If it exists then it will verify your copy. If it checks out you will be on line and see U/L action start, and you will join the number of PTP sharing the file.

It will not recopy the file to your system.

I just went through this routine. My system shut down and I was as confused as Hit Diety. So I did the above and am on line with U/Ls going on.

I'm going to explain it the best way I know how....

I can't start BitTorrent. I can't even figure that part out. There is no file that starts BitTorrent, except for downloading something else and I don't want anything else.

I'm hopelessly incompetent I guess.

As I promised, I'm now seeding the file and also sharing it in #thief-fms. Hit Deity is also sharing it..

It's really easy, just go into #thief-fms, via Thorin's Guide, and type in (just copy it from here) :

/ctcp HitDeity XDCC get !NightFalcon #1
    and
    /ctcp DecayChild XDCC get !NightFalcon #1

To initiate a send from either HitDeity or me, respectively. Enjoy You think I should make a separate thread, Jason? Didn't think so.

deadman.

Downloading Now.
    Last edited by Shadow; 3rd Sep 2003 at 19:34.

Hmmm. I did exactly like deadman suggested and double-clicked my .torrent file and it started downloading the whole thing again ... .. .at 64K/s. I just don't get it. I picked the same directory where I had the file before, and it still says it's downloading the file. Sheesh.

Distant Quasar
    Jason,
    Is this the mission pack you were referencing in the earlier thread discussing the burning/mailing of CD-Roms to forum members?
    - eep!

Are you sure, HitDeity? If so, my apologies for suggesting this. It was enough that you were serving it in #thief-fms, you didn't need to also seed it . All I can say is it's always worked for me in the past. I'd say it's a fluke. It could've been a failed hash check, but then I wouldn't think it would've let you download the whole thing without informing you before. I'm sorry! I can resend it to you in #thief-fms if you'd like. The speed might not be faster than rates on BitTorrent, but who knows.

As a last resort, are you sure you didn't rename the file? If your BitTorrent didn't come up with "Checking existing file" with a progress of that (going up to 100%) before downloading, that is likely the case. Not that you'd do this on purpose, but it's easy to be absentminded when one is new to something.

deadman.

I got the English file, have not tested it out yet but it is 167 MB at the end, and am now ready to start burning.

Epithumia
    About snail mailing this FM, I sent you an E-mail regarding a central page for thieves in need of this FM.
    Jam tomorrow;
    Jam yesterday;
    Never jam today.

Oh, it went through the checking progress, got to 100%, then started to download it again. It's going at about 60K/s and it's at about 100MB, the little blue bar is going up just like before. It's supposedly saving it in the same spot as before, because I specified the same directory as before (I even saw the same file in that directory), but it's redownloading it for some reason.

So, if I want to share it by BT, then my choices are: leave Bit Torrent open and never close it, or just redownload the same files over and over.

HD, what torrent program are you using? I used bittorrent-3.2.1 and didn't have a problem. Although I am now serving English at only 7, and ger is going at Up5 Dn10 so it will take 3 hours+

I was downloading at about 60ish when it was english only. I figure the new difference is due to serving 2 while downloading 1. Or there are just less 'seeds' for the Ger verson.
    Jam tomorrow;
    Jam yesterday;
    Never jam today.

It will take me 24 hours to d/l this on my 56k. Has anyone actually played some of these missions yet and what are the missions like, or is everyone still downloading?

I'm using 3.2.1b CVS EXPERIMENTAL version. Nothing but the "edgiest" will do for me!!

And I think I've gotten it figured out now. Nobody mentioned the fact that downloading the .torrent link gets things started, then BitTorrent will open.... I was just told to start BitTorrent, and that part just wasn't explanatory enough for me. You have to double-click a .torrent file to get things going, and then I didn't know that you have to point the dialog box that opens to the file you downloaded already, and that if you move the file around, BT will probably just download the file again for you...... and so on.

Not knowing enough cost me.

To shadows: It's made by Christine, what more guarantee or encouragement do you want? I can put something in writing for you.....

Originally posted by shadows
    It will take me 24 hours to d/l this on my 56k. Has anyone actually played some of these missions yet and what are the missions like, or is everyone still downloading?
    I've played it, shadows, and so far (though there's been one brightly lit area I couldn't traverse without alerting the guard -- d'oh!), it's worth it . If you're having really slow rates using BitTorrent, try getting it at my mIRC channel, #thief-fms! Just read the thread "Night Falcon at #Thief-FMs!!" for details if you don't know how. Like BitTorrent, it supports resuming (so all isn't lost if you get disconnected), so all is well .

deadman.

Well, I downloaded the file and kept it up until about 9 pm. When I restarted my computer, I have no sign of bittorrent. How do I reopen it so others can dl it as well??

Originally posted by Caradavin
    Well, I downloaded the file and kept it up until about 9 pm. When I restarted my computer, I have no sign of bittorrent. How do I reopen it so others can dl it as well??
    Double-click the torrent file (open it) again and choose the same directory you used to download it to. Be warned HitDeity's copy got deleted when he tried to do this; though he admits he is new to it and probably fudged up somewhere I'd still copy the file somewhere else just to make sure it doesn't, as it appeared to do to him, start downloading the file from the beginning again (and in effect deleting the old version). #Thief-FMs is still lonely.. Come get it from us, everyone!

deadman.

The torrent file is uploading very slowly, like about 3 or 9 kBs/sec . Trying to reopen the one on my drive resulted in a zero Kb upload... reopening it with epithumia's link seemed to work, just slowly.

Spoke too soon, it is now at 12 to 17 ... Let's hope for some lucky taffers tonight !

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!

I'll have one seed open for about 12 more hours. Jump in people the water is fine.

AS Christine is a popular FM designer, might it be possible for the campaign to be disaggregated into its components missions so that us 56kers could d/l one at a time?

Here's hoping.

Originally posted by Higgins
    AS Christine is a popular FM designer, might it be possible for the campaign to be disaggregated into its components missions so that us 56kers could d/l one at a time?

Here's hoping.
    That would help but i think they haven't done that yet or else it would use up too much bandwidth with so many people downloading. I just don't understand why bittorrent download rate is 2kb/s it's taken me the past 16 hours to download 40%. tried thief-fms but can't get it to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast