TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: In the name of all that is holy!

In the name of all that is holy!

Someone, anyone, please please please tell me this isn't true:

From US PCGamer Holiday '03 issue: "Eidos is also revving up a possible Thief movie starring Tobey McGuire; it's been linked to Mark Gordon, producer of Saving Private Ryan and The Patriot."
    Last edited by Doc_Brown; 13th Nov 2003 at 05:28.

you mean HIM?!...

maybe as young Garrett or...I don't know, besides I don't believe that Eidos should run any financial risks like sponsoring a Thief movie.
    I'm sorry I'm pissed at Eidos for postponing the European PC version of LOK: Defiance, and that's why I don't believe in ANYTHING Eidos says...

Hhggghaaa! *Claws the air*

This cant be! Not after all this time of irrelevantish speculation! Someone stop them... please...

uhh
    wait 30 more years atleast before letting him act the part
    unless the make it a movie trilogy ( \o/ )
    then, young garrett, maybe
    the director should have unbelievable understanding of visual arts for such a franchise to work on the silver screen

I was going to post the very same thing, actually.

On one hand, I am pissed off that they would even consider doing such a thing as casting Tobey McGuire as our beloved Garrett. Not hard bitten or smart assed enough.

On the other hand, I was kind of happy that Edios had taken it seriously enough to look to a big name actor like McGuire, who has starred in one of the biggest superhero movies of all time. Lets me know that they MAY actually make the attempt to make it a decent movie.

So, weigh your options: A crappy movie with someone who looks and sounds a bit more like Garrett, or a good movie with good acting and someone who looks like Garrett had a kid that turned out to be quite modest and shy...

christ almighty

lest us remember this little pissants acting skills in spiderman!!!! id rather eat catsh*t with a knitting needle than watch this smacktard try and act his way out of a paperbag ... again. i can hear it now, "give it up Truart" in his mid-pubescent breaking voice. somewhat analogous to the zit-faced teenager in the simpsons. GUH!

they really need to think about how to go about this
    the way the fans would want it, laying it down it sounds like a multiple-heist film
    not that it's a bad thing
    i love heist films :-)

or then take a seperate very long story, like many damn good FMs, and stretch it out with dialogue

or then keep it artsy, having garret mostly just speak in monologue and the other characters around him run the show

HOLY BATNUGGETS!!!

I swear I nearly shat myself when I saw that headline.

How can Eidos even consider this? Weren't they the ones that were financially responsible for our beloved, (now deceased, at least, in name), Looking Glass Studios? And now they consider casting some nancy-boy in the role of Garrett? They must really have a hard-on for sticking it to the creative genius of Thief's creators.

I'd settle for a few short (maybe even crappy) fanflics any day before I simply say nothing and let Eidos smear the name of Garrett with Tobey McGuire. At least the fanfics would have the souls of the fans behind them.

As much as I hate the idea of Tobey McGuire as Garrett, it could be worse: it could be Justin Timberlake. Or Freddie Prinze, Jr. Casting for Viktoria continues with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Reese Witherspoon in consideration...but Kelly Clarkson is a strong contender for the role. As for Constantine, insiders are whispering "Val Kilmer"...

JourneymanThief
    Please, make it go away!

val kilmer as benny
    john travolta as truart
    kevin costner as garret

it can't fail!11 :-))

....I didn't like the movie Spiderman. Some good lines, but I didn't like Tobey. Him as Garrett? Um...who lost their mind this time? I need to start a lost and found for minds...

This is how the movie will go: Viktoria will be needlessly underdressed, Constantine will be overplayed, the Eye scene won't be remotely as intense as in the game, their
    spoiler:
    transformations into their normal forms
    will be done with low quality CG. The Maw might be well done, actually. Bug beasts and Frog beasts will look annoying and fake. There's a strong possibility of them expanding on the idea that Garrett likes Viktoria.

There's my pessimistic appraisal at this early stage.

==Navyhacker006
    Worst. Itchy and Scratchy. Ever.
    -Comic book guy

okay...and Gary Coleman can play the Hammerite High Priest.

If they record only in the early morning right after Tobey wakes up so his voice is still a little lower htan his normal 13 yr old sounding voice it might sound okay. But he neds to take acting lessons. Hugh Jackman would be better...or most anyone else.

Britney Spears will debut as Viktoria
    Super Soul Bro #1
    "...thy works have struck me like spears...."

BANNED
    Why would EIDIOTS choose one of their least popular franchises for a film? Of course, it is possible to create a good film based on the game, but not if it's put in the hands of some fucking Jerry Bruckheimer shit eating cock magnet.

Also, I'm sure you've all witnessed Maguires perfomances in Fear and Loathing and Spiderman. Cynical, hardened criminal he is not.
    Last edited by Para?noid; 13th Nov 2003 at 19:35.

Tonto41
    The idea of who would play Garrett in a Thief movie is kind of hard to grasp. You have to wonder, how old is Garrett, they never do say. What we can gain from the games is that he was trained in his early age by the Keepers..so who really knows how old his actor should be. I do agree, Toby Maguire just doesn't have the same characature as someone I would like to see play Garrett.
    In another matter, I think a Thief movie could be very interesting if done correctly, taking into account all of the unconventional methods of display in Thief. The movie style would likely have to take on a different look than most productions. If it is true that they would make a movie, we can only hope they understand these things, or it may be one to follow the follie of other Game to the Big Screen endeavours.....*cough*Tomb Raider*cough*......or even Super Mario Bothers?? What did I just say?

Originally posted by Navyhacker006
    Viktoria will be needlessly underdressed
    Isn't she naked most of the time anyway, apart from when in disguise?

This is quite interesting, assuming it's a true possibility and not a mere rumor; and yet, it makes me wonder why they would try to make money off Garrett in the theaters and yet not from Thief III game sales. As we've all noticed, there's been little press comparatively (Deus Ex 2), and the game site still has no Thief III section. As others have noted, they might as well not hype it up until it's getting nearer it's release, but it still seems odd. But maybe it's Ion Storm who is in control of the advertising/hyping department. It also seems odd they'd think of doing a movie before Thief III even came out. Sure they know there's a bunch of old-time Thief fans out there, but will it go over well with the new gaming crowd? It appears they think so.

As for Toby Maguire, isn't he still suffering from that just-hit-maturity-squeaky-voice syndrome? For some reason I remember it being a tad high-pitched . He definitely needs to get to work on Garrett's rough and weathered vocal chords if he's slated to play the part. I do agree with others that he's too young and hoping it's only for a flashback or something. But I can't even imagine they'd make a Thief-inspired movie. I can't. If they did they'd have to spice up even Garrett's dramatic high-romance life. It'd be nice to see Constantine morph into The Trickster though. And I wonder who would play Victoria?

Also, Navyhacker, I believe they wouldn't just be translating Garrett's TDP and TMA exploits to film, but for some reason I think they'd be better off avoiding that and doing a story of their own. They are, after all, supposedly thinking of Toby Maguire .. Hmmm.. Maybe he's a younger Benny in the film?

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Desperately dodgy geezer
    C'mon, there are plenty of worse choices for Garrett.

Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal...

Only thing I don't get is, since Stephen Russell is an accomplished stage actor, why the hell don't they have him play Garrett?

Originally posted by Navyhacker006

This is how the movie will go: Viktoria will be needlessly underdressed...
    If it was indeed Sara Michelle Gellar in this role, I find it hard to object to her being needlessly undressed.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Why not just reunite Toby with Kirsten Dunst?

Originally posted by Yandros
    C'mon, there are plenty of worse choices for Garrett.

Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal...

Only thing I don't get is, since Stephen Russell is an accomplished stage actor, why the hell don't they have him play Garrett?
    Good thought, but what does he acutally look like? I've never seen a picture of him, so for all I know he is a 400 lbs. fat guy.

I think if Anthony Micheal Hall were to dye his hair and let it grow a bit, he would have an adaquit Garrett look. And he certainly has the voice nessasary.

You may remember him as the dork from the 80's that always played, um, dorks. He was the son in National Lampoon's Vacations, the blonde geek in Wierd Science, and even in Sixteen Candles and the Breakfast Club. He has also played Bill Gates in "Pirates of Silicon Vally" and is most recently playing a dark, but comedic role, as Johnny Smith in "The Dead Zone" on USA, based off the Stephan King novel of the same name.

His early work doesn't lend you to the idea of him as Garrett, granted. But if you look at him today in The Dead Zone, and see his him in dark hair and a cloak, you can see what I see. And his voice is earily simular to Mr. Russell, so it wouldn't be to jarring to the fans.

Check out the show HERE Tell me he doesn't have a voice and a brooding nature that would lend quite well to Garrett

Originally posted by Yandros
    Why not just reunite Toby with Kirsten Dunst?
    Because, man! Sara Michelle Gellar!

Sorry. She's hot.

Even still, I don't think Dunst could pull off an evil villianens plant lady. Gellar has done evil before, both in the last season of "Buffy" (playing the First) and in "Cruel Intentions." Dunst just has to much Cutsey quality about her.

Originally posted by Chimpy Chompy
    Isn't she naked most of the time anyway, apart from when in disguise?
    I meant while in disguise, but...
    Being naked with expert make-up making one look like a tree is one thing; being naked for appeal is another. Besides, she's also completely in shadow each time.

Gellar did do a good job in Cruel intentions, but shouldn't they at least look for a person who sounds like Terri Brosius? When my mind compares Gellar to Viktoria, I don't see it....

==Navyhacker006

Here's the thing: Sarah Michelle Gellar is short, blond, and pixieish, and Victoria should be tall, dark, and willowy. Someone like Famke Janssen would be perfect (even though I can't stand her). I mean, I love me some SMG, but she doesn't have nearly the emotional groundedness or range to play someone like Victoria. It would come out all snotty and prissy and teen-angst flouncy.

They chose Tobey because movie studios could honestly give a rat's ass about "staying true to the game characters." They will cast whoever they think will make the movie the most money. Right now, that's apparently Tobey. I rather liked him in Spiderman. Peter Parker is a young, nerdy, self-conscious kid, and I think he was perfectly cast in that role.

But Garrett defniately isn't a teen - if anything, he's closer to 40 than he is to 20. He's hard boiled. He's gritty. He's Scott Glenn before he's Topher Grace. And I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Hugh Jackman would the most obvious choice in the world, with the recent addition of Jason Statham as the dark horse long-shot.

It would take a pretty special movie, regardless of cast, to equal the experience I get when I actually BECOME Garrett and move around The City through his eyes. Maybe it could be done, but I think it's such a slim chance that it's tough to get worked up about casting.

How about Johnny Depp as a young Garrett? I think thats how you spell his name.

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast