TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CoSaS Mission 2 Update - Screens and (as usual) Help Wanted!

The Architect

CoSaS Mission 2 Update - Screens and (as usual) Help Wanted!

Mission 2 will be seeing the light of day soon. Until then, I have a few words to say, and then on to some screenshots.

Those of you who felt that Gathering at the Inn was too short and small have something to look forward to in our next mission. It's quite massive, which is part of what's taking so long. I don't want to babble on about how wonderful it is, I want everyone to see for themselves. Sadly, screenshots will have to do for now. It will be done when it's done, though the more help (good honest hard working help) we can get (talented determined people hellbent on making CoSaS as good as they dream it could be) the sooner everyone else can play it.

I hope that stirrs up some interest. :) Here are some positions we could use some help with.

Scripting - click here to apply
    Are you the type of dromeder who wants to ignore architecture and dig into the mechanics of gameplay? Puzzles, conversations, etc? Then we need you. If you're a master, step right up and give us a hand. If you're a beginner but quick learner, then become an apprentice to our expert and be brought up to speed... and then give us a hand. In either case, our current scripter can't do it alone - we need your help as a full time team member.

Audio - click here to apply
    We need a full time team member to lead up the audio front of the project, who will be responsable for composing original music for both in-game and the cinematics, sound effects, and processing the audio from the voice actors.

Artist - click here to apply
    We are always in need of artists to hand or computer draw artwork for both the mission briefings and in-game notes artwork, such as the portraits in Gathering at the Inn.

Thank you for your attention. :)

One thing: the audio person doesn't have to be such a polymath as Digi requests. In fact we have three separate needs:

Audio manipulation, namely cleaning up some very dirty voice recordings.
    Ambient sound creation.
    Music for the cinematics.

If you only want to try your hand at one of those tasks, that's great too.

More info

I'm CoSaS' current scripter, and I'll probably be the one to assign the scripting work. MX (that's Mission Two) has a few very extensive, idiosyncratic systems which were nearly done being set up... unfortunately, MX soon thereafter hit the brush limit in a big way and while fixing that error much of this scripting was broken. It won't be hard to fix, but I've been having trouble making the time to do so. If you do end up as scripting help, your tasks will probably go like this:

Implement a certain scripting task of moderate difficulty for CoSaS missions four and five, and fix a few outstanding bugs in mission four, by way of a test.

By this point, I should have restored MX to its previous state, and we'll hand it back and forth between ourselves. I'll be handling the strange stuff, while you'll handle more mundane stuff, namely:

Deleting all current roombrushes, then efficiently replacing them, with proper EAX and automap settings; "efficiently" in this case means without running afoul of the brush limit.
    Performing many, many object swaps. There are currently bunches of custom objects that haven't been added to the level yet.
    Setting up a couple of (standard, but difficult) conversations.
    Implementing one particularly complex objective.
    Revising the level's ambient noise design according to input from the team.
    Bugfixing. Particularly nasty bugfixing, most likely.

So, whoever applies should know how to do these things and do them well. In addition, the new scripter should be familiar with custom scripts (Gaylesaver's at least, and hopefully Telliamed's), and know at least the theory of adding scripting functionality to objects that serve other purposes (a la Shadowspawn).

I would also like to give my personal apologies for the lateness of MX, since the completion of my own work is one of it's biggest bottlenecks. But all the problems that MX has brought us derive ultimately from it being a very ambitious single mission, and when it does get done it'll be something amazing.

Fox

Thiefmissions.com

Crap. I wish I could do something other than host missions and play them.

Wow...what wonderful scrnshots. Almost at the level of the Hammerite Imperium project. Keep it up guys.

Digital Nightfall is a god!

WOW!!

These are fantastic screenshots! After seeing these I had to see more so I went to the website to see other possible shots and to check it out and I was just flabbergasted by this stuff! I'm getting all excited after playing GatI.

You guys at CoSaS are incredible, how do you do it!? These shots look modern but that's perfectly fine. I've seen some other shots you made too Digi and you are a creative genius! Wanting to go on my first mission after months of playing others, I don't think I'll ever design like you or anyone else on that team in my entire life but I'll try.

"Mommy, I want to design like Digital Nightfall!"

Anyway, please keep it up!
    Last edited by Lurking Grue; 23rd Nov 2003 at 11:41.

Oh, don't be too jealous of Digital Nightfall. I'm sure there's plenty of things he's not good at. Frog breeding, for example, or Archaeology. Or he's got some kind of weird fetish.

Beautiful screenshots!

Digi

I just tried to email you but it bounced. Could you please email/pm me a little more info/specifics of the artwork you would require?
    I'm interested in doing something but would like to know more about it first.

Cheers

i cant' wait. thanks guys, you're the light at the end of my tunnel afte DX is doomed.

I'd be happy to help out with audio and ambients/music.

Top Notch stuff guys - Fantastic Architecture. If i like your Achitecture, then it must be good.

Don't start to rush it though just to get it out. Carry on taking your time with it. It will all pay off for you.

Great work dudes. It's nice to see taffers' putting alot of thought into their levels.

That scripting post would be interesting, but I don't have the time currently. I do like to create different kind of systems from the dromed tools (S&R, scripts, etc). I don't know how to write custom scripts myself.

However, if there are some systems you would like to add but don't have time to figure out, let me know. I would be willing to try to create them for CoSaS.
    Last edited by Dark Arrow; 23rd Nov 2003 at 11:45.

Taking a break
    Crap. I wish I could do something other than host missions and play them.
    Dont worry Jason, without your hosting a lot of missions would never make it off the author's hard drive.

The Architect
    Credit goes to where credit is due. Those screenshots are a mix of Finial's work and my work.

Going from top left to right

1) 40/60 Finial/Me
    2) 20/80 Finial/Me
    3) 90/10 Finial/Me
    4) 90/10 Finial/Me
    5) 70/30 Finial/Me
    6) 90/10 Finial/Me
    7) 0/100 Finial/Me
    8) 80/20 Finial/Me
    9) 90/10 Finial/Me

So Saintly, where can I see screenshots of the Hammerite Imperium Project?

Hi.

Great work from both of you. I also saw about 20 more pics as well though too up at the CoSaS and at The Keeper of Metal and Gold site with people's names from CoSaS under them.

Keep up the great work!

Awesome pics.

Cant wait till I get to play the mission.

Hammerite Empire page:
    http://www26.brinkster.com/urvit/th2.html

Originally posted by Digital Nightfall
    So Saintly, where can I see screenshots of the Hammerite Imperium Project?
    Oh, he was joking. Noticed that little now.

Originally posted by Dark Arrow
    That scripting post would be interesting, but I don't have the time currently. I do like to create different kind of systems from the dromed tools (S&R, scripts, etc). I don't know how to write custom scripts myself.

However, if there are some systems you would like to add but don't have time to figure out, let me know. I would be willing to try to create them for CoSaS.
    Er, let me amend my words: If you join as a scripter, you don't have to write new custom scripts, you just have to understand the existing ones and be able to use them. Perhaps "scripter" is a misleading term to use; the role is more like that of a specialized Dromeder.

Wow, those screenshots are looking great! Keep up the good work.

Impressive stuff.
    Time to bring up my productivity and show you taffers.
    Just got to find a couple of jolly object modellers.
    Tehehehe.

-Alexius-
    -Writers! Post thy divine ideas on the Hammerite Lore!
    Last edited by Alexius; 23rd Nov 2003 at 13:32.

Thief2X

Nice work guys

I liked mission#1 very much. So many technical innovations, great design, artwork and cutscenes, excellent music and sound, many ways of solving objectives... Just excellent! Сan't wait the second mission.

Thanks for your work!!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I would love to be involved in scripting, audio cleanup or writing music, but unfortunately I already have a half dozen missions of my own underway (see sig), and too little time for Dromed work as it is. **sigh**

The screens look amazing, as usual... can't wait to play it!
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

The screenshots look wonderful! I can't wait to play it.