TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamespy Review DX:IW

Gamespy Review DX:IW

Linkage. 4/5 + Editor's Choice from them.
    They seem disappointed with the AI and voice acting, as well as reactions from the AI on getting a bullet in the face or whatnot.

Moderator and Priest
    I think the summary explains it fairly well. Not dumbed down like people are fearing but still not quite as great as the original DX.

"For veterans of Deus Ex, playing Invisible War is like visiting the same playground you frequented as a kid, only now the fences feel a little closer, and the jungle gym seems a little less complex. Regardless, the core values that made Deus Ex excellent are highly apparent in Invisible War, making it a must-play for anyone looking for a fun, intelligent action/adventure game. Is it as great as its forebear? I'll say no. That said, Invisible War is still an excellent sequel to Deus Ex, which, while lacking its scope, smooths over many of its roughest edges and provides a decent conclusion to the current story arc."

Now I wonder how many people are gonna accuse Gamespy if being bought out by Eidos for the review. I predict 5!

Mister Science
    bah, how can it have these performance issues on such a high end computer. I will give in, I am going to buy an X-box.

So: not ISA's grand dream come true, but still a great game in it's own rights.

Not surprising. Not quite what I was hoping for in the deepest depths of my heart, but I'm happy ...

~15 hours sounds quite short...

I was surprised by his remarks on the AIs. According to the dev interviews, they were supposed to be topnotch.

Their score of 4/5 stars seems overly generous compared to what they actually said in the review. Some of their criticism were what I would call serious for a game of this type. My impression was that they were holding back somewhat, as if they were being kind to Ion Storm for being allowed to host the demo exclusively for one day. It read something like "Yeah, the AI sucks, the performance sucks, the story sucks, the size sucks. But it's the much hyped sequel to an outstanding game, so we're giving it 4 stars anyway, dammit!"

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, the review sounded more like he wanted to give it a 3 star review at most, but gave it a 4 for some reason. Judging from what I've read the game does seem to be good, but the technical issues and odd gameplay decisions keep it from being as great as it could've been.

If it weren't a sequel to Deus Ex, in other words if it were another game, then the reviews probably wouldn't be quite so high...but on the flipside of that the hardcore fans that are bashing it to hell and back right now would probably like it based on what IS there to enjoy.

It comes to something when "trimmed of fat" and "unrealistic but fun physics" are counted among the game's 5 'pros'.

The interface, too, is friendly and extremely useable...

Right.

Like the demo, huh?

Right.

...outside of maybe a few oversights related to the inventory screen and mouse support.
    Maybe. A. FEW. Oversights.

Just maybe.

A good review and nice responses in their forums as well. Focused on the important things, instead of rallying people under flags to go to holy war against IS as in here. I agree what was said about the time- 15 hours is just way too short after having waited this for so long Seems to be fashion in these days:concentrating on making very pretty and detailed games to LOOK at, in the expense of diminished actual gameplay . Still waiting for DX2 anxiously, though with more 'realistic' expectations.
    Last edited by tomi1kenobi; 27th Nov 2003 at 12:11.

Originally posted by averroes
    ~15 hours sounds quite short...
    Was hoping for more... Then again, SS2 was something like 12 for me. Ahwell.
    Glory to the pipe, for it is the holy symbol of perfection in its lead simplicity! ...until you find a Sparq 10 minutes later.

..::get System Shock 1::..

Hmm. Pretty much what I had expected given the latest information. A good game, but not quite what it could have been due to any number of factors depending on who you listen to. At least it should sell better than the original, which should be a good thing for the company. Hopefully they can learn from this experience with future titles. Hopefully.

Z

The Review did seem to focus on the negative on the last page, but none of us are helping matters but doing exactly the same. In the second page of the review the Reviewer talked about how we was really prepared to give DX:IW Five Stars, so there has got to be something there. Or is that just my eternal optimisim showing through?

I really wonder if (ok hope) this is going to be a case of "Super Model with Head Lice" syndrome, ala it's full of bugs but you still just want to play with it.
    CrashTranslation

This doesn't sound hopeful at all..

Originally posted by GameSpy
    More serious are the game's performance problems. While the graphics are acceptable and quite attractive at times, they're not great enough to justify the game's surprisingly sluggish performance. I did most of my playing on a 2.8 GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM and a Radeon 9700, and couldn't maintain a totally smooth framerate, even at 640x480. It worked out for me since I'm not a resolution whore, but people who consider 1024x768 to be low-res will definitely have some issues with Invisible War's performance. I also experienced a handful of crash-to-desktops and an annoying bug that made maps take over a minute to load.
    So, even if I do get a slighter better video card for Thief 3 (and presumably Deus Ex II if it is good enough), it won't be good enough to play this in a 800x600 resolution even without some major choppiness? This isn't good to hear at all. Plus, that video card sounds like one of the better ones, and I can only afford $100-$150 US at the most (from Ebay?). I did hear that there was a way to tweak the cfg to make it run better, but still.. I just hope Thief 3 won't be similar to this. Eep!

deadman.

Wait, wait, wait...

4 stars out of 5? Oh, fuck off Gamespy.

Let me guess... Too high?
    Glory to the pipe, for it is the holy symbol of perfection in its lead simplicity! ...until you find a Sparq 10 minutes later.

No, those tard monkeys are eshewing the standard good, bad, or the ugly rating system as well as the far more common place "blah blah blah out of 10" system.

And it's too high, yes.

My own unsubstantiated feeling is that this guy is in the difficult position of trying to review a game (pre release) that he knows is going to get a fairly hefty patch soon.

Kind of what I was fearing unfortunately. No major advances in AI and the primary advances done to the engine have resulted in a sluggish game (much like DX itself when it was first released). The elements that I expected it to retain, the complex layering of characters and multiple storylines/plots is something I can really only experience for myself. I expect I can get over the little problems with the game, but if the story is that short ... 15 hours? I did Max Payne 2 in around 8 and it was very short. I would be expecting 30 at least.

Originally posted by Z
    Hopefully they can learn from this experience with future titles. Hopefully.

Z
    AFAIK, this is the first time they have ever:

1) used a massive tech team

2) attempted to put a really major focus on making their games accessible as well as deep

3) tried co-developing on different platforms

I'm pretty sure you'll find there's a whole lot of "don't do this again" stuff they've got written down that you certainly wouldn't hear in an interview.

Have to vent -

And it's too high, yes.
    With all the nonsense I've read recently, this kinda thought takes the cake.

The rating is too high? Unless you've played the game, you don't have much of a way to say that. Will you be doing it with every review that gives the game a good score?

The hardcore DX fans really want this game to fail for some damned reason, it seems. Next you'll tell me that the thousands of times more people who actually like the game are somehow wrong...

Moderator and Priest
    I think what Crion was saying, Spark, was that the score was too high in comparison to what was said in the review.

Then just perhaps, there is MORE to the game than "AI don't twitch when shot" and "it runs below 60fps"? When DE1 came out, most of these could very easily have been said for it too, if in a different order [a convulted interface (which people now like only because they dislike this one. Sorry, but old one was pants, regardless of feelings about this one), horrible framerates, stupidass AI, useless skills, useless biomods, clumsy biomod handling (power conserve on, power conserve off, power conserve on, power conserve off)], and still people liked it. Well gee.

*cough* Daikatana *cough*

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I remember checking out the Ion Storm forums back when the original DX was released and things wern't much for its release than they are for DX2. But back then the big bitch wasn't "ISA SOLD US OUT!" but rather "ION STORM CAN'T MAKE A GOOD GAME! DAIKATANA SUKKED N SO DOES THIS!"

So when DX3 comes out we'll probably be faced with the same thing yet again. "DX2 WAS A CLASSIC! ISA SOLD US OUT!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast