TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM Betrayal: Voices (6th Dec 2003)

T2 FM Betrayal: Voices (6th Dec 2003)

hi all. i have a new fm for thief 2 entitled Betrayal: Voices In this one you play as Talon not Garrett. ghosters dont bother even trying to ghost, its not that type of level some might say its very different than what is the usual fm. it will be available at the cheap site soon as jason posts it.

this mission is the third in my series of five, but you dont have to have played hells motel 1 and 2 before it. reading the briefings though might give more insight. file size is 6.5 mb or so its not a huge level. hope this tides you over until frobber's new one

Excellent! I see you have finished amievil.
    Last edited by shadows; 6th Dec 2003 at 21:28.

please dont complain about jason, he will get it up soon. he doesnt sit there waiting on new missions 24/7

I know, i know. I am just moaning for the sake of moaning.
    Last edited by shadows; 6th Dec 2003 at 21:35.

Thiefmissions.com

Just got home from seeing Last Samurai at the Alamo Drafthouse. The mission is at http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=BetrayalVoices

Forgive me for sounding trite or asking the obvious, but what's the point of having a main objective of kill, kill, kill when you don't increase "Talon's" speed or power? When I read the readme and journal I expected this would be a hack 'n slash number, though it now looks to be a regular mission, except I'm supposed to kill stealthily and not blackjack or ghost? Or maybe as he kills more he gets more powerful? That would be nice. Just thought I'd try to get that clarified

deadman.

Looks great so far! Only thing that is kind of bothering me is:
    spoiler:
    The guards seems to be both superhumanly tough and psychic. Several times now I have hit a guard with a full overhead swing from behind while he was unalerted , only to either have him say "Ow! Quit it!" and chop me up, or turn hostile just before I hit him and chop me up. I mean one of these times was with a sleeping, snoring guard! I hit him sqare in the head and he just popped up and got pissed! The only sure way to kill them seems to be the broadheads and I've only found six so far. Am I supposed to fence with every single guard? Even mines seem to have little effect. I placed one smack dab between two sitting, unalerted AIs and all that happened when it went off was that they got up and started searching for me.

Originally posted by Oneiroscope
    Looks great so far! Only thing that is kind of bothering me is:
    spoiler:
    The guards seems to be both superhumanly tough and psychic. Several times now I have hit a guard with a full overhead swing from behind while he was unalerted , only to either have him say "Ow! Quit it!" and chop me up, or turn hostile just before I hit him and chop me up. I mean one of these times was with a sleeping, snoring guard! I hit him sqare in the head and he just popped up and got pissed! The only sure way to kill them seems to be the broadheads and I've only found six so far. Am I supposed to fence with every single guard? Even mines seem to have little effect. I placed one smack dab between two sitting, unalerted AIs and all that happened when it went off was that they got up and started searching for me.
    Heh, that description almost sounds like what I hear of Deus Ex 2. Sad, even the first Thief games' AI are beginning to suffer.. Surely a portent of things to come! I have to agree, though..

And I still think Talon should've been given major speed/damage enhancement. I seriously thought it would be fun to kill everyone in a "I'm doing what the voices are telling me" kind of way, yet he seems to have the usual slowness in movement and sword, while AI are increased.

Oh well.

deadman.

I don't know what's going on at this point. Maybe I got a bad install or something. I'm getting a lot of deathstage 12 broadheads, pathfinding problems with guards, and guards that can see in the dark.
    spoiler:
    I climbed up a ladder into a tower, after dousing all the torches and waiting a while to be sure the archer was unalerted, then as soon as I came up the ladder the archer turned around and started shooting me. One guard got stuck in another tower and couldn't get back to his post, he just 'moonwalked' against the wall. When I attacked him with broadheads, he didn't die until I'd shot him nine times with the same three arrows.

Well, I managed to finish it.
    spoiler:
    The six broadheads I got from the two archers were all deathstage 12. I must have used all of them five times each. The last guard, from an unalerted state, took six arrows and six full blows with the sword to kill. My stats were: Damage Dealt 1511 for 20 killed, an average of 75.5 points each, which seems kind of excessive. I was glad the G-Man got away though, I wasn't looking forward to that.

Mission completed. Always nice to play a new FM, mind you certainly made killing the guards difficult! Thank God you put that ladder in the gallery!

im well aware of the broadhead bug
    spoiler:
    the razorheads are set to assain arrows, so if you snag the arrows from the two tower guards they will also become razorheads. this allows for easier killing towards the end.

did you all read the gameplay tips file? also, the guards are suped up because none other than garrett trained them all. garrett also told them to sleep with one eye open did he not?

Originally posted by Oneiroscope
    Well, I managed to finish it.
    spoiler:
    The six broadheads I got from the two archers were all deathstage 12. I must have used all of them five times each. The last guard, from an unalerted state, took six arrows and six full blows with the sword to kill. My stats were: Damage Dealt 1511 for 20 killed, an average of 75.5 points each, which seems kind of excessive. I was glad the G-Man got away though, I wasn't looking forward to that.
    spoiler:
    of course he gets away! you didnt think i was going to let you kill him eh?

Downloading now...

A excellent level, it was about time someone made a level like this. This will sound like a boast but i've always being good with the sword and in all the FMs the guards are just a push over. Now this FM is good for sword duels and was a real challenge. I am not sure whether playing on different difficulties will increase the hits points of the guards, i played on nomal and managed to rank up 710 damage done and all of that using only my sword and my 3 healing potions, didn't use arrows or mines.
    spoiler:
    I don't understand that note when i go to get the gold though, is the gold haunted?

Originally posted by amievil?
    also, the guards are suped up because none other than garrett trained them all. garrett also told them to sleep with one eye open did he not?
    I can't argue with this, but I still think, as this is supposed to be a hack 'n slash number, as well as the fact that Talon is hearing voices, he'd turn into a kind of berserker and the joy would be in playing someone who's gone insane and no one can stop him. As such, I don't know if I'll finish this one anytime soon. For all my arguing in the Thief 3 forum that the devs intended us to have freedom of play styles (including more violent ones), I prefer more to blackjack. If I can learn how to sufficiently soup up Garrett, I'll build a little hack 'n slash number myself (probably for my own enjoyment only), but these are just my thoughts on how this was implemented. I think we really have to imagine he's hearing voices and has gone berserk as it really doesn't show much ..

deadman.

shadows, check out the cutlist document for an explanation of the gold. the note is almost a prophecy for garrett. see, the voice in talons head is just using talon. it will make more sense in the final fm.

the next two fms youre back as garrett, and in the end find out who that voice is. the next one starts the next morning from this one, at the gate of garretts house.

Taking a break
    hehe, KILL KILL KILL!!! Now that's my kind of FM! I really enjoyed
    spoiler:
    murdering the guards asleep in their beds!
    *giggle* they never saw me coming....

Tough,tough,tough Mission !! It was quite challenging.

The only way I got through it was to
    spoiler:
    quicksave before attacking anyone armed
    , that way if it didn't work out well, then it could be done over. One bug, though ... the mission didn't end. I had completed all of the objectives except
    spoiler:
    kill Garrett
    . Yes, I got into his room, but then ... he got away

Stats after suiciding on a couple of mines:

Damage dealt: 1051
    Damage taken : 32
    Healing : 25
    Loot : 1576 out of 1676

I got the crow bar but I still cant get into the cellar..?

Edit: Nevermind.. I was trying the wrong cellar.. Heh.
    Last edited by Genie; 7th Dec 2003 at 22:09.

Anyone figure out the locked door between the gate to Garrett's house and the closed city gate?

i did norman there isnt a key for that, although in the next fm you can break in there cuz the door will be unlocked

On expert, missing loot

Howdy!

I'm playing on expert, and had a surprisingly (to me) good time with this one. Generally, I hate using the sword in Thief, unless it's from behind against a Haunt Once I realized the arrows were razor sharp, and once I found the two archers which gave me two more, I had enough to balance out the hack and slash with one left over for Himself.

I've triggered all objectives, and need only find the remaining loot before going to the tavern. But I'm shy about 250 - anyone have some tips on harder to find loot locations?

FWIW: I didn't have the same issues with the arrows other did - they never were reusable, and each one killed in one shot. Melee, on the other hand, sucked Near the end, I shot the last three guards in their bedrooms because I just didn't want to deal with the melee fighting!

Many thanks!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

A bit late, but stil, Congrats with releasing your fm.
    Looking forward to your next one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast