TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How Well will Morrowind run on a...

How Well will Morrowind run on a...

On a:

254MB RDRAM (Yes it sounds kind of odd but 98 can't seem to detect the full 256 for some reason)
    64MB Nvidia GeForce2
    P4 1.8ghz
    SB! Live2
    20GB HDD

Playable enough or still frustrating at certain times? What about the loading speeds? Tolerable? I'm currently on a 127MB RDRAM and the game well, is playable but it can get really annoying especially when it comes to exterior loading.

I'd ask this in the tech help section but... well you know.

The biggest logjam will be the graphics card.

RAM = fine. I think.
    Processor = fine.
    Graphics card = iffy. You'll have to dial down a lot of the detailing, and probably turn pixel shading off. When I first bought the game, I had a P3 600mhz and a 32meg GeForce2. It ran ok, but I had to turn down the graphics levels to their minimum. It makes the game a lot less pretty, but it's still perfectly playable.
    Sound card = should be fine. I've had a SB Live for 4 years, and have never had any compatibility problems with any game.
    HD = fine. The size would never have any bearing on the gameplay - assuming you have enough room on the thing to install it in the first place. Now, if you know the RPM speed, or whether it has an UltraATA card, that might affect it.

How much of that hardware is on your current system?

Well the only difference is that the ram is still 127 and no. No additional hardware. Just whatever I mentioned earlier.

What about view distance? What's the recommended percentage for my system? (counting the 254 ram)

Originally posted by Child of Karras
    Well the only difference is that the ram is still 127 and no. No additional hardware. Just whatever I mentioned earlier.

What about view distance? What's the recommended percentage for my system? (counting the 254 ram)
    Just try tweaking it, though I'd start at minimum and work my way up. Believe me, I've got one of those crappy video cards myself; Morrowind runs like the laggy fat-arsed bastard it is . I'm too stubborn to turn down the resolution to 640x480 though, so this is in 800x600, view distance minimum, no shadows, etc. I've still got my nVidia TNT2 w/32 MB of SDRAM. Sad, again, I know.

Think of spending $150 on EBay (as I intend to do) for an ATi 9700 Pro or better. Thief III (and Morrowind, maybe? Nah.) should run OK with it.

deadman.

Okay got my 255ram and it works shweet. Load times are 2-4 seconds and no lagginess.

I suggest you tweak (do a search on morrowind tweaking - don't worry it's easy) or get the morrowind FPS optimizer.