TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garrett and the Beanstalk - Dec 2003

Hi,

This a really well designed mission, a lot of thought went into this.

spoiler:
    That damsel is one tough cookie though! I managed to climb to the very top of the beanstalk and drop her right into the vegetable patch below. She was still alive (but unconcious) when I picked her up again.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Heh heh heh...
    spoiler:
    kfort, what did you do? Give her tons of HP?

Well, I tossed her down from the cloud and she was still alive!

That was the first thing that i did to her when i Beta tested it. Although it say's that she is still unconsious when you throw her down, she's actually dead!

Shhh, don't tell anyone!

I downloaded this mission about 3 hours ago and I must say it's really a lot of fun.

Very different and very creative, I'm not done yet however so far so good.

can somebody please tell me how to get into the room with the metal door in the "kid's" room?

Kid's room door:
    spoiler:
    There is a key next to the radio on the table.

Thanks Oneiroscope!!!!

i feel soooooooooooooooooooooo little in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beanstalk

OK OK, so I'm stupid... (and I thought I was quite good at this game!).
    I can't get up the beanstalk at all - my rope arrows either finish too high up to reach, or don't go into the beanstalk at all! Can someone post a tip for dummies?

Thanks

Hi Kimberley,

You need to
    spoiler:
    treat the beanstalk like a ladder. just jump on and shimmy up!

Originally posted by sluggs
    That was the first thing that i did to her when i Beta tested it. Although it say's that she is still unconsious when you throw her down, she's actually dead!

Shhh, don't tell anyone!
    spoiler:
    To clarify this - yup she is technically (dromed-wise) dead. In fact, she is "dead" from the very start. The whole "unconsious" thing is just a ruse to throw you off! If you don't believe me - toss her on the fire in your hut (assuming you haven't tried that already) No screams

I initially considered making the "rescue princess" objective fail if she died, but I liked this solution better. People who like killing the unconscious don't get any thrills and slippery-fingered heroes needn't worry about her if she takes the fast way down the beanstalk (plus fewer Qvars for me ). If it makes you feel better, you can think of her as a "Sleeping Beauty" or "Snow White" - she is "dead" to the world until she gets that first kiss. And of course fairy princesses have TONS of hit points. How else do they last long enough in horribly perilous situations to be rescued by the hero?

I'm very glad to see everyone enjoying the mission. I had a lot of fun making it. Of course, the real mastermind (plotwise) was my eight-year old little sister. She doesn't have the dromeding know-how to make a mission herself, but she came up with all the major plot points for this mission and was involved throughout the design period. She also appreciates all the great praise. Thanks!

Happy Taffing!

Really a unique Fanmission! I had a lot of fun playing it. The fairy-tale stile is really fun.

I dl'd this one a few weeks ago and finally played it yesterday/last night and it definately had a unique perspective on a Thief game Very cute and original to be sure! When I got inside the Castle...I almost missed the door to the Giant kids room and opened the other one that lead downwards (some of them didn't highlight properly)...thankfully I decided to check around a bit more and found it. I simply got the girl and hid her under the Giant's chair till I was ready to leave.

However, when it came time to leave, the Giant kid seemed to be stuck near the entry doors. So I crept over and behind him and helped him open the doors so he could get free at which time he went over to his room. I went over grabbed the girl and ran out of the Castle, dropped her nearby and shut the doors then made my way over to the opening with the Beanstalk (inside near the cave hole) and waited for the right moment and with girl over shoulder, climbed down I don't understand the need to drop her at all? Why? It wasn't any problem getting her down and over to Hut? I was playing the "hard" mode equivelant. Anyway, I did only get one bonus (money) and I guess bonus for saving girl (but it didn't show) the objective clicked but stats didn't show it. I guess because I wasn't sure what would happen if I took her into the front doorway way, so I went to the back and tried dropping her in through the back window. It was enough to click objective completed but I think somehow it didn't fully recognize it for the stats

Also it was really weird about setting prisoners free. I only opened the first few cells and hid in the one dark cell to wait each time to see what would happen. I had previously knocked out the first guard. When I opened the first cell on the right as you face them all...all of a sudden a prisoner comes out of nowhere and goes inside (undead I think)? Now that's what I call magic Anyway, eventually I got to the one cell where those two women run out and I ran out with them and jumped up on some crates to watch for whatever happened next. After they all took care of the second guard...they acted like they were searching for me so I hung back and afterwhile they went back into their cells. I didn't attempt to do anything more cause I sure didn't want to have to fight them (even if I did have the Axe!). So after that, is when I started climbing up around rafters, etc. and good thing I did that then cause otherwise I wouldn't have been able to as easily as I did under the circumstances

Interesting play and thanks kfort for the game Ta and Good Hunting!
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 17th Feb 2004 at 20:19.
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

What a wonderful and fresh mission. Truly a stroke of genius. Thank you so much!

Bravo, kfort and little sis!!!

Indeed, kfort is very talented. I betatested a neat mission of hers a long time ago that she's never released... hopefully she'll come back and do some more missions for us soon and release that one too.

indeed, she has 2 stuck in Beta that I know about, both almost done and very good.

*sniff*
    I feel guilty hoarding these, but ill not even consider releasing them without permission.... any news from KFort land? Is she AWOL? She vanished soon after C5

reviving old post...

Kfort. I was wandering thru my archive last night looking for something different. Didn't know I had this one, saw I thought, yeah I'll give it a try...

First things first. walking out of the house and looking up at the cloud "Wow, amazing design, loved it. Really creative and realistic looking"

Liked the vine arrows, do it yourself style, nice touch.

Felt the same way thru the whole mission, nice design, fun to play. Very unique. Thanks for this one, now to go and find the last 3 secrets.

I wish Katy would finish a couple of her mostly-done missions, they're really clever (I tested two). This one was a lot of fun too!

I just found out this pretty mission!
    Did anybody experience a crash to desktop when trying to grab an ice arrow?
    Waht does this mean?

Hi ya kfort, would love to give your fm a go, but cant find it. Could you post a link here please. (I know it was mentioned that you can find it at thiefmissions, but the last post I could find their was in January this year)

Thanks

scratch that, found it.
    Last edited by xaussienanny; 18th Dec 2008 at 15:35.

gosh another one I missed

nice adaptation of the fairy tale

I got 3 out of 4 secrets (painting, harp room, footlocker in rafters) I also got the amulet of the ghost from the main room rafters is one of these not a secret then ? I could have sworn I got the found secret sound on each of them, what did I miss ?, 2930 loot and 3 bonus objectives (loot, harp & prisoners)

very enjoyable

Wonderful mission kfort. Very cleverly executed and much fun to play.

PS. I'm just restarting because I didn't find the key but sneaked into the damsel's room behind the giant, thinking he would come back and open the door.......

Playing this one again after a couple of years and I've just discovered something...
    If you kill junior - be careful not to walk into his weapon, it's still very sharp!!

That's actually mentioned as a known bug in the readme file.

I like think of it as more of a "feature."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast