TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New FM: A Thief's Holiday

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

New FM: A Thief's Holiday

In light of Frobber's incredible Oracle of the Prophets, I feel like the producer of a small-budget indie film who's releasing his work the same weekend as Lord of the Rings... but I have a new small, holiday-themed FM ready for download from Jason's site.

Here's the link: Download me!

Here are a couple of screenshots:

Mission text:

This mission is a simple virtual holiday retreat for weary taffers looking for a
    comfortable, nostalgic environment for the holidays. A cozy fire, good books,
    a well-stocked kitchen, gentle snow falling outside, and holiday music on the
    stereo...

And because the perfectionist in me couldn't simply release an "ambient" mission,
    there is also one objective: Find a way to end the mission. There are actually seven
    ways to end the mission, although one is only available on Expert. The difficulty
    levels determine how well hidden the objects required to achieve mission's end are.

Note: Gaylesaver's scripts ARE required for this mission, although there are no precautions against this, there will just be a few minor things that don't work (nothing that should break the mission).... I'm sorry about this. I'll be getting a fixed version to Jason after the holidays. Just please be sure to have them installed before playing. I also found one small cosmetic bug which needs fixing (I left a window model out of the ZIP which causes the window in the kitchen to the right of the fireplace to look wrong). Expect a v1.1 a day or two after Christmas.

Have fun, and Happy Holidays everyone!
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

P.S. If anyone needs the seven solutions posted in a spoiler here, let me know. A few may be tricky...

Yay! Another FM! Downloading ze mission now. Looking forward to playing it.

Beautiful house! I had a little run around and found one way out so far. Thanks so much for this mission! It actually got me in the mood to go to a Christmas party tonight that I (previously) wasn't really looking forward to. Thanks!

Is there somewhere else i can download VK's scripts from? I can't access Geocities sites for some reason! Thanx.

[EDIT]Playing through it without the scripts because i can't wait! It's surely a nice place. I wouldn't mind living there! 'Ere, no pressies under the Tree? Didn't Santa come this year? Must've been a naughty Boy! I liked the Tree and how you made the lights. The sound system worked very well. I remember you asking about that in TEG.

Can you not finish the mission without the custom scripts then?

It's all very nice. Don't put your work down. Nice going taffer. [/EDIT]
    Last edited by sluggs; 23rd Dec 2003 at 20:16.

Thank you Yandros for this wonderful amusement

I've found ending #1, #2, #3 (this is really sweet) and #5 so far. Still have no idea what to do with the

spoiler:
    Holiday Diamond

But I'm going to find it out ....

Also thank you very much for the german part of 'O Christmas Tree'. Makes me feel very haimish
    "Don't dream it - be it!"

Thiefmissions.com

The scripts can be had from http://thiefmissions.com/scripts/

This link is near the top of the mission info screen at thiefmissions.com.

I feel all warm and fuzzy now, thanks Yandros.

Sarik
    Can't find out how to exit on expert,
    spoiler:
    short of dying

Wow, thanks Yandros !

That tree looks better than mine

How about a stocking stuffer hint about the pretty green gem, please ?

Thanks everyone...

I have the update ready already and will be uploading it as soon as I have time. It fixes the kitchen window problem and also mentions in the readme about needing Gaylesaver's scripts.

As for those of you who couldn't find the scripts, it shouldn't prevent you from finishing the mission via any of the solutions, although
    spoiler:
    it may prevent you from unlocking either door if you re-close the location where you found the key... so keep those doors open.

So do you guys want me to post a comprehensive list of the solutions, for each difficulty level?

Re: New FM: A Thief's Holiday

Originally posted by Yandros
    In light of Frobber's incredible Oracle of the Prophets, I feel like the producer of a small-budget indie film who's releasing his work the same weekend as Lord of the Rings... but I have a new small, holiday-themed FM ready for download from Jason's site.
    Aww, that's ok. I disliked most of The Return of the King anyway (specifics; I'm a big fan of Tolkien and felt many things were altered unnecessarily as well as the fact that it really doesn't have any time to 'breathe', as films can), plus, the screens look so nice .

Aahhh, finally something to relieve the near-death experience that awaited me just by loading up Oracle of the Prophets . Too scary for me, sorry Frobber. That's why we have taffers like you.. No, I'm joking!

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Re: Thanks everyone...

So do you guys want me to post a comprehensive list of the solutions, for each difficulty level?
    Ok, but first, a little problem...

Solution #8: Take a Trash Can To The Moon

*opens lid*
    *jumps in trash can*
    *bated breath for the lift-off*
    *still waiting*
    *"Is this thing broken?!"*
    *WTF???!*

What, you've never heard of the movie "Trash Can To The Moon" before? It was a classic!

You've also got to remember to include Solution #9 next time..

Solution #9: Lonely Garrett *tear*

Garrett's been rather melancholy of late, and his mistress didn't show up to their winter resort as agreed. Maybe he should just end it all..

*jumps in fire*
    *dies.... slowly*
    *girlfriend arrives.. "Mmm... Is that roasted burrick-rump I smell?*
    *gets out knife and fork*

You knew I'd try to kill myself, didn't you? Dammit .

deadman.

Yah, I took the DoFlameSource scripts off the flames just for you... You can always kill yourself by jumping from up in the rafters a few times...

Well, it's late so I'll post a list in the morning. One list just giving the 7 solutions, and another by difficulty giving the location of required objects. All with much spoiler coverage, of course.

Originally posted by Sarik
    Can't find out how to exit on expert,
    spoiler:
    short of dying
    spoiler:
    there is a key open front door is on side table with books on top of gavinette
    Always there is a way when intelligence is used

BTW, I also host the scripts on the Essentials page, as an alternative/additional download site
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Complete solutions...

Here are the 7 solutionsÖ read at your own risk (i.e. only once youíve given up):

spoiler:
    Find the front door key and leave via the front door.
    spoiler:
    Find the back door key and leave via the back door.
    spoiler:
    Find the sword and slash all the paintings to do a little redecorating for the holidays.
    spoiler:
    Find the sword and cut the cheese and bread at the kitchen island work area (an overhead slash is required).
    spoiler:
    Close the open window up in the rafters at the library end of the living room.
    spoiler:
    Find all three holiday gems (diamond, ruby, emerald).
    #7 (Expert only)
    spoiler:
    Find the bow upgrade! (Finally!)

A general note about getting up in the rafters....
    spoiler:
    In the kitchen area, itís obvious... climb up the ladder in the storeroom. But in the living room area, youíll either need to find the rope arrow (Normal/Hard only) or find the other way to get up there Ė yes, itís possible, and easy. On Expert, most of the solutions require you to get into the rafters, and so without a rope arrow you'll have to figure this out.
    Another piece of advice: Do lots of quicksaves and loads when up in the rafters.

Most of that doesnít help you much if you donít know where to find the item or items needed for each solution... so here is that list, organized by difficulty. Again, this is complete spoilage, so only peek here as a last resort.

Normal
    spoiler:
    Front Door Key: Lower left cabinet in kitchen, behind the center pot.
    Back Door Key: In the trash can.
    Sword: In the long nook above the entrance hall, get to it by going up the ladder in the storeroom.
    Rope Arrow: High up on the wall (side of the rafter beam) to the left of the fireplace in the kitchen. Go up the storeroom ladder, and go to the edge and reach down.
    Diamond: Turn on the light in the display case (in the kitchen, on the wall between the two doors to the living room).
    Ruby: In the fire in the kitchen Ė donít worry, the flames canít hurt you (hey, this is a fun, happy mission!)
    Emerald: In the fern in the living room area by the big tree.

Hard
    spoiler:
    Front Door Key: Inside the grandfather clock.
    Back Door Key: On top of the long cupboard in the kitchen (you can see it from the rafters, just jump on the counter and begin frobbing the top of the cupboard. Itís near the middle.)
    Sword: In the otherwise empty lower right cabinet in the kitchen (over by the trash can).
    Rope Arrow: Up in the chimney in the living room (again, the flames are harmless).
    Diamond: In the long nook accessible from above the storeroom (where the sword was in Normal difficulty).
    Ruby: In a little hiding place near the floor, in the side of the right bookcase in the library. Go into the corner, turn right and look down.
    Emerald: In the trash can.

Expert
    spoiler:
    Front Door Key: Top of the bookcase in the library (the one on your right as you enter). Mantle onto the bookcase and climb up there... unfortunately, you canít get up into the rafters from up there.
    Back Door Key: Hanging above the top of the wall between the library and the tree. Youíll have to get up in the rafters and jump down onto the top of that wall to get to it.
    Sword: In the far left corner of the living room as you enter from the kitchen, attached to the bottom of the rafter up in the corner. To get it, you need to get down to that end of the room in the rafters, jump onto the box that runs along the wall (where the spotlights are that come on when you turn off the main lights), and walk down to the corner of the room. Then, either crouch down and lean out to grab it, or just jump off gently onto the top of the tree and grab it from there.
    Rope Arrow: Not Available Ė figure out a way into the living room rafters without it!
    Diamond: On top of the tree in the star. Get onto the rafter to the left of the tree (looking at it from the kitchen) and lean out to grab it.
    Ruby: On the windowsill up in the rafters, the one opposite the window thatís open and which you close for solution #5.
    Emerald: In the rafters of the kitchen, above the long counter. Walk out to the vertical beam, and lean around to grab it.
    Bow Upgrade: In the long nook off the area above the storeroom, but youíll need the sword to get past the boardup.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Originally posted by sluggs
    'Ere, no pressies under the Tree? Didn't Santa come this year? Must've been a naughty Boy!
    I wanted to make custom presents for under the tree, but didn't have time. So Garrett must have been a bad boy...

Originally posted by sluggs
    Don't put your work down. Nice going taffer.
    I wasn't, I know it's a good little mission. But I made it in three weeks, and it's very small. It was more a comparison of the amount of work put in and the scope of the two missions, than a comparison of the quality of the respective end results.

I wasn't, I know it's a good little mission. But I made it in three weeks, and it's very small. It was more a comparison of the amount of work put in and the scope of the two missions, than a comparison of the quality of the respective end results.
    I had a lot of fun with this Yandros.

Don't put yourself down at all. Do you realize how much natural talent you have to possess to make something look "this" nice in "this" amount of time!? 3 weeks!?

I can't wait to see what you create when you make a big mission and utilize all of your creative talent because this only taps into a small amount of what you truly have to offer! Please keep it up!

Absolutely gorgeous

Wow, Yandros. Just, wow. I think this is the loveliest of all the missions I've ever played, and that includes Christine's. Just beautiful.

Now, for my embarrassed confession:

I'm playing on expert and for the life of me,

spoiler:
    I just cannot find a way up into the rafters in the living room/library area. I found the holiday emerald on the kitchen rafters, spotted the glowing white thing from the platform (but can't get to it) and espied the sword tantilizingly out of reach in the corner of the front room. I mantled up to the bookcase and got the front door key, finding the first way out.

You hinted that getting up to the rafters is easy, so I *know* I'm missing something obvious. I've tried mantling everything I can find, tried leaping from that bookcase to no avail, tried making other leaps, have tried to frob *everything*, explored the interior of the fireplaces in both rooms, glared at the clock for being frobbable but unhelpful, turned off all the lights, toggled the musical choices and shut the music off, and played with combinations therein, and of course, tried to climb the tree.

I just need a *little* hint, please

Thanks ever so!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Great mssion Yandros and lovely architecture.

Melissa

spoiler:
    I got up by climbing on the table by seat next to the Christmas tree and mantling up.

Perfect, exactly what I need right now !

downloading ...

Hmm, when I load the FM, it returns me to the desktop every time.
    Other FMs are ok.
    Last edited by *Zaccheus*; 24th Dec 2003 at 09:28.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

Melissa, Sir Lance had it for you, but I'll be a little more specific...

Big Spoiler here on how to get in the rafters without a rope arrow...

spoiler:
    In the sitting area by the tree, jump on top of the blue couch, and from there on top of the fern. Once on the fern, just back up from the wall a little, and you should be able to mantle up onto the divider wall. From there, turn left and mantle onto the main beam (running lengthwise in the room). Then you have to do some beam-hopping, so Quicksave/load will be your friend.

Originally posted by Lurking Grue
    I can't wait to see what you create when you make a big mission and utilize all of your creative talent because this only taps into a small amount of what you truly have to offer! Please keep it up!
    Thanks for the kind words. I will keep it up! The reason I've not released any other missions this year since C4 is that I keep coming up with new ideas, but they're mostly all still under development (I've abandoned a couple). I currently have six missions under development (including my C5 mission), and it's certainly conceivable I can finish and release them all next year.

Interestingly, though, I shy away from large missions. I think one reason is the scope is so daunting, and another is that the limits of the Thief engine are such that you just can't pack alot of detail (architectural and otherwise) into most areas of a large mission, or you start having major problems. Even though this holiday mission is very small, I already had a host of errors cropping up due to complexity of terrain and object limits (as I mentioned in the mission text). I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist not to put in details, and I'm scared of what that tendency is going to lead to when I try a large mission (a mission so buggy I can't release it). So of the six I'm working on, only two are larger than your average contest mission - and one of those is mostly not my work. The other is St. Francis' Folly, which I assure you will be something worth playing, if I'm able to ever finish it.

Whoops, sorry... nothing more boring than someone rambling about himself...

Originally posted by *Zaccheus*
    Hmm, when I load the FM, it returns me to the desktop every time.
    Other FMs are ok.
    This happened to me when I installed the latest scripts; I went back to an older version (April 2003), and it worked...very strange.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast