TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Returning a Favor (17/01/04)

Returning a Favor (17/01/04)

I spent the Christmas holidays at my parents' place and during that time I had an idea for an FM. I decided to play around with it in Dromed, to see if anything would come of it. Something did come of it, which is why I'm posting this. As it happens, my parents' very, very old computer can run only Thief 1 bearably, so my new FM called Returning a Favor is for Thief: The Dark Project/Gold.

I figure there must be at least three people who still have Thief 1 installed, so I may as well release it to the public for the gaming pleasure of these three. As a very brief description of the FM, I can say that I returned to my old favorites, the Hammerites, and made a little murder story for Garrett to solve.

Still interested? Well, you can get it at thiefmissions.com.

Finally, I want to thank Vigil and Rustibus for all their help. Thanks to epithumia as well, for hosting the mission.
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

Thanx Morrgan

Just downloaded it and i shall install Thief Gold especially, just to play this FM.

Bah, anyone who doesn't have Thief 1 installed (or who dislikes Thief 1 FMs) is a servant of The Trickster and should be stricken down with The Hammer of Righteousness! Thief 1 FMs are the best! .. Seriously, if it weren't more unstable than T2 and things weren't as hard to do I'd wish every FM author built exclusively (or mostly) in D1. You just can't get the same atmosphere with T2, and I'm sticking behind that, no matter how many times someone will say that's bulltaff. I can't wait to play this .

deadman.

P.S. What?!?! You don't have Thief Gold installed already, sluggs? For shame! What about when you have an itching to play a classic like Lord Edmund Entertains!, The Order of the Vine, The Varyx Obelisk, or Calendra's Cistern (among others)? You're insane!
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Downloading now and looking forward to playing it.

Nice title, by the way...*gnash*.....

Whoops O:) I'm surprised the name wasn't taken earlier, actually.

Thanks guys. I'm glad to see there are people who still want to play Thief 1 FMs.

Balrog - Oops! What can I say... Great minds think alike?

Ah well, if I even live long enough to finish my FM I'll have plenty of time to think of a new name for it!

I going to DL it too.

(T1 has never left my HD.)

P.S. What?!?! You don't have Thief Gold installed already, sluggs? For shame! What about when you have an itching to play a classic like Lord Edmund Entertains!, The Order of the Vine, The Varyx Obelisk, or Calendra's Cistern (among others)? You're insane!
    Oops! I haven't played any of those yet! I may have played Cistern but i'm not certain! Is that the one with the short creatures down in the sewers that look like demented children?

It's true, i haven't seen many T1/G FM's i'm afraid. Not because i don't want to, i just don't need to have T1/G installed unless a new FM, needing those games, comes out or i feel like a change and want to play those FM's instead of T2 FM's. I don't like having a load of stuff on my HD!

I have nothing against T1/G FM's. My name isn't KOMAG!
    Last edited by sluggs; 17th Jan 2004 at 18:56.

Oh great, since I've lost my original Thief CD and I'm forced to use a shitty warezed version for FMs and the weekly Bonehoard expedition, no human AI voices...Dwargh.

Taking a break
    Great job Morrgan! I love the architecture! Nice murder mystery.

Darn! I have to go to work! I just got a taste so far, and it's already obviously fantastic! I loved your other FM, and this one has me hooked already! Can't wait to get home and keep going! TG or T2, you rock Morrgan!

Wow Morrgan

Dark Project meets Agatha Christie

Great fun... Thank you very much!!!
    "Don't dream it - be it!"

I am right at the start and i frob the door but it won't open... I can see no switches anywhere either.

I've got convict and Gayers scripts installed. Unless this FM is for Thief Gold, but the readme says Thief 1.

Can anybody offer some help?

I have to say that mission is perfect

I'm with shadows here. Is TG required or will T1 work for this FM?

I have gold and it works. And yes, the initial door in the sewer should open by frobbing it.

Morrgan did say it was for TDP / gold, which I take to mean both, but I have no way to check that. There are different versions of T1, and some may need a patch -- I don't know for sure.

According to the Fan Mission FAQ, located near the top of the thread list,
    You always need convict.osm. However, if you have T1 and the mission is for Gold, then you need to patch your T1 installation. See the FAQ for details and a link to the patch file.
    Last edited by smithpd; 18th Jan 2004 at 01:49.

Returning a Favor Hard

I can't find some keys. Priests room and engineers room for example.
    I've cleaned all the others rooms out but haven't found the letters
    that I need to destroy. Spoiler needed.

coreyb2,

Here is where I found these things in Expert. Other skills may be different.
    spoiler:
    Ther priest's quarters key is found in the library on the first floor, on a table. The priest's room leads to the letter from the mistress (a letter from Lukas gives a clue as to where the mistress' letter is hidden). As for the Engineer's key, I spotted that on a guard on patrol in a hallway while I was perched on a beam. I jumped down and grabbed it. I had not seen that guard in the early stages. I think some of the AI matierialize after you have done certain things.

Nifty mission. I love a good murder mystery.

"St. Tomas of Finnlande". Heh.

I went back and played the sequence from before I got the engineer's key to some time well later. I could not get the key this time around. I think I did all the things the same that I did before, and I never saw it.
    spoiler:
    Seems that some event triggers an extra AI to come out, the one who is wearing the key, but I have no idea what it is.

Great little mission Morrgan. I like the way
    spoiler:
    you were never certain what was going to happen next or who might appear until near the end.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess it was more than 3 people after all.

shadows and JackofTrades - The mission has been tested with both Gold and TDP patched, it should work fine with either. It doesn't use Gaylesaver's scripts. It sounds like you're having a convict problem, even though you said you have the file... Hmm, odd. Are you sure you have the right version?

Regarding the Engineers' key:
    spoiler:
    The guard with the key only appears after you read a letter addressed to Merlon in the Priests' Quarters. The idea behind this was to let the player get more information about the murder case before moving on to the next area. You'll know when he arrives because you'll hear the clang of the front gate closing, and if you haven't knocked out the library guard, there's also a conversation welcoming the new guard back.

All those who have seen this thread and thought "Wow! Cool, new FM! Oh, it's for T1...". Install T1 now and play this mission, who cares if it doesn't have the latest graphics... it's Thief 1 for crying out loud!!! That's already a good reason

Great mission Morrgan... Again

Not bad at all, it's got that Thief 1 Hammerite Temple feel !

I haven't been able to recreate that in Thief 2, even after porting the textures.

It was fun alright, but Morrgan, the Keeper tunes in the Hammerites sermons area was a pretty bad idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast