TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTUP beta 4

ZylonBane

SHTUP beta 4

For months I've been saying that the next SHTUP update will be out Real Soon Now. Well, Real Soon Now is here!

http://shtupmod.net/ (~6.5MB)

Plain ol' ZIP file. Unzip to SS2 install directory with "use folder names" enabled.

Some of the new stuff:
    * Lots more signs, screens, object textures, etc.
    * Some very nicely redrawn doors.
    * All-new muzzle flash.
    * Experimental de-phonging of some doors and other objects.
    * Integrated Command-deck crash fix.
    * Much nicer-looking basketball (thanks to Shadowspawn for the most awesomely round mesh). Still need to work on the texture though.
    * Some typo fixes -- "Rickenbacker" now spelled correctly on Rick maps, "Bonne Chance" lounge now correct
    * Experimental darkening of some BotM skin textures. Should make the BotM look a bit less over-lit.
    * Extended a couple of tech screen animations.
    * Redrawn psi wall animation.

I'd especially like to know what people think of the removal of phong shading on some objects. In this release the following objects have been converted to flat shading: elevator door, common "Von Braun" door, rec deck door, a couple other doors, and the much-smashed pipe junction box. The reason I'm trying this is to get rid of the effect where lighting on objects will sometimes jump around as your angle of view changes. The most horrible example of this is the large "BIOPSY" sign on MedSci.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Mar 2010 at 17:29. Reason: URL
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

SShock2.com

I'll download it as soon as I get home, and I'll try to give it a look tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
    Wenn ist das Nunstrück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! .. Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

I've only checked out medsci1 so far, but great work! I like the new cryo doors particularly. I found myself creeping around and taking the time to look at everything again, it really adds something to the game. This sort of thing is what's so great about the PC community.

ZylonBane
    You know that screen you see in the second cutscene, counting down your memory restoration status? Ever wondered where the heck that screen actually is?

Good job. I already can't wait for the next release .

Will there be a release without the command fix? I simply zip the folders so i can play with the files that would crash it.

ZylonBane
    Originally posted by hvkasteren
    Will there be a release without the command fix?
    Since the fix consists of just three tiny files, I really don't see what the point would be.

Hey thanks a great deal Zylon..when i get back from the gym..i shall check the new textures out..especially BOTM...

I tried it a bit earlier today (considering it's 3:49 AM right now, I should be saying yesterday) and so far everything looks quite good. I only played my file on the hydro deck so I didn't check everything new, but what's there looks great! Such as those big computers which have a some code mumbo-jumbo on a few screens. And those grey power box type things on walls (usually connected to a bunch of pipes) have a help-line phone number on them

Suprising how all those little things make such a difference.

ZylonBane
    Originally posted by Deep Fried Beer
    And those grey power box type things on walls (usually connected to a bunch of pipes) have a help-line phone number on them
    That was always there. It's just a lot easier to read now.

Trivia: The "mumbo-jumbo" on the text screens is almost entirely lifted from the Hacker's screen in the opening SS1 cinematic.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 31st Jan 2004 at 10:00.

I like it very much.

The BOTM is fantastic with everything darkened down. Pair that with two Rebirth Rumblers pounding after me and my pants can consider themselves thouroughly soiled.

I like the signs and all the new textures especially. Makes every corridor and room seem like a new adventure.

I think I like the Surgeon General's Warning on the cigarettes the most. Comedy = gold.

I haven't noticed any tech screens that have "Extended animations" as you put it, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong areas.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment, I am.

Originally posted by AR Master
    I haven't noticed any tech screens that have "Extended animations" as you put it, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong areas.
    I think I remember ZB announcing to add frames to the anis of security-screens and the like (to make them look less jerky).

Great work Zylon Bane! When will the localized German version get released?

Kolya

ZylonBane
    Currently the only extended tech animations are: that scrolling graph thing with the yellow lines on the blue background, the Life Support status screen, and the security monitor (added a monitor view from the pre-game cinematic).

AR Master-- I'm amazed you could read that text. I can barely read it even viewing the texture directly!

Surgeon General's Warning:

Laramies have been found to be smooth and refreshing. Prolonged use may result in increased popularity.

How can that go unmissed? :D

Awesome job ZB.

I must congratulate you on a job well done!...

Uhh, yeah...

*Returns to newly-updated Shocking!*

ZylonBane
    Someone on the Ion Storm forum just pointed out something which I'm ashamed to admit my anal-retentive mind never noticed--

The keypads have no "0" on them.

D'oh!

They don't?!

Hmmmm... wow...

No wonder nobody opened those doors.

Goggleboy
    Originally posted by ZylonBane
    AR Master-- I'm amazed you could read that text. I can barely read it even viewing the texture directly!
    Then how in the world were you able to put the "Do not touch surface of the disk" on the log datadiscs in the previous version? That text was so tiny I had to lean Goggles forward then stick my face practically right in front of the monitor!

How about some screenshots for those of us who can't play SS2 right now?

ZylonBane
    Originally posted by Goggleboy
    Then how in the world were you able to put the "Do not touch surface of the disk" on the log datadiscs in the previous version?
    Well, I didn't do either incarnation of the data logs, but a basic familiarity with paint program technology would suggest that the images were created at a higher resolution, then scaled down.

ZylonBane
    Some lame screenies--

Slot machine, before:

Slot machine, after:

Security office, after:

The slot machine isn't really a fair comparison, since it's obvious there was some sort of communication breakdown between the modeler and the texturer on that one.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Mar 2010 at 17:36. Reason: URLs
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

Great textures Zylon..have noticed quite a lot of new ones over the older ones..though of course there are still some signs which have not been enhanced..which kind of stands out now that so many things are high-res...

Side note: I think there is a conflict if you install the fixed command levels together with the integrated command level fix in this patch...Upon exit of Shock 2 on my 2nd time testing it..the whole windows crashed and i got the "blue screen" i've never seen in Win XP..i rebooted Windows and subsequently Shock 2 would not run..not even start up..i had to do a full uninstall of Shock 2 and reinstall everything..leaving out the command levels..everything's fine now...

I just wanted to say what an excellent job has been done to the BOTM. By darkening those textures, you get the feel of the absence of light without the detriment of lower visability. It's really a win-win situation in that regard, so you really do deserve kudos for that (not to mention, of course, every other new texture, but I digress).
    Last edited by Doc_Brown; 3rd Feb 2004 at 04:18.

Originally posted by moocow
    I think there is a conflict if you install the fixed command levels together with the integrated command level fix in this patch...Upon exit of Shock 2 on my 2nd time testing it..the whole windows crashed and i got the "blue screen" i've never seen in Win XP...
    I can't imagine this was caused by the command fix ... this has probably been a "generic error" of WinXP. First, I never had any problems here (but i havent been on the command deck with the new shtup) and second the command fix did nothing more then change the names of textures that caused the chrash before. But well ... I'm not sure. If anyone has the same problems - please report!

I love it it really does give it a better gameing experiance zylonbane

I want the next release now
    I am teh 1337n355 ^^

?????

Um isn't there a beta5 somewhere?? Thought I saw it, but kinda lost track of it again.