TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Haunting Contest 5 mission

The Haunting Contest 5 mission

What should I do?

spoiler:
    I frobbed the device in the lady's room. He came and went. What should I do next? Where can I find the code for his safe?

You have me there , I can't even move . That's after installing and then reinstalling the scripts which work fine for the other missions .

Originally posted by bdkl
    You have me there , I can't even move . That's after installing and then reinstalling the scripts which work fine for the other missions .
    I had the same problem. All I needed to do was to quit the game (to the desktop) and start it again. But I still don't know what to do after the first conversation...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I've quit and restarted several times, and still can't move. No matter how long I wait, nothing happens and I'm frozen. Has anyone figured out if this is a bug or if you're supposed to do something?

Originally posted by Yandros
    I've quit and restarted several times, and still can't move. No matter how long I wait, nothing happens and I'm frozen. Has anyone figured out if this is a bug or if you're supposed to do something?
    I think it's a bug because after restarting the game I was able to move. Nevertheless, I still don't know what to do next.

Seems to me like somthing is broken with Telliamed's scripts. Rename tnhScript.osm in your T2 directory and you will be able to move. However AFAIK, you can't get very far without it.

I also noticed that opening it in dromed, going into game mode, and going back to dromed, gives an illegal operation pointing to tnhScript.osm.

Komag, I do hope your already looking into this.

I'm looking into it and will be in contact with the author...
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Originally posted by masterthief3
    Telliamed's scripts. Rename tnhScript.osm in your T2 directory
    rename into what filename!?

Originally posted by flying_hope
    rename into what filename!?
    Anything. oldtnhScripts.osm backuptnhScripts.osm etc. Whatever you want.

You can also move the file out of the T2 Directory.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

(btw, he was saying if you rename it to something else, anything else, or delete it, or whatever, then you won't be stuck)

I HAD AN OUTDATED SCRIPT!

The proper updated script is now at the Keep both in the main Telliamed script package download on the Essentials page and on the abbreviated but completely sufficient c5script.zip download on the main page! So just download it again, unzip and overwrite the previous files, and be happy! The mission works GREAT now!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Originally posted by Komag

I HAD AN OUTDATED SCRIPT!
    You know, I was just thinking that mabie it was an outdated script.

Good 'ol Ben does it again and saves the day!

This one is my favourite out of the lot! It's soo different and fun! It's also very good in the way it's been built. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet. Top marks from me for this one.

After updating the script, thanks to KOMAG for that, everything worked perfectly until the day
    spoiler:
    the Priest came!
    The Lady was stuck behind the plant table on the right after the Priest came through the door and that was that! I reloaded a previous quick-save but when the pair went to bed, nothing happened! I was stuck in my own time and the night never passed! Now i have to replay it and hope that she doesn't get stuck this time!

As for the Safe code,
    spoiler:
    You'll have to watch it when he opens it and remember the code.

Still, it's the best C5 FM for me.

PS. Can't wait to find out who made this one!
    Last edited by sluggs; 9th Mar 2004 at 00:10.

i had the priest area mess up on me too - i reloaded a quick-save (thankfully i did it right before this part) & it worked... but only once (i tried to do it again - reloaded the same save quite a few times & that guy just kept getting stuck in the door)
    still, does nothing to mar the mission, for sure! (and if yours sticks at this point - i think you miss very little... same thing happens even when you're stuck)
    i love that floor!!! (among other things)
    really a very different mission & nice job

did anyone
    spoiler:
    get a rise out of either people by messing with the telescope? just wondering if i wasn't doing it at the right time or what

Yes i did.

And that floor, it's a really neat trick. I've seen it done before somewhere, not saying where though. It's not so good for Mrs. Poly Count though but who cares about that?

Not me!

PS. The amount of custom objects in this FM are...

I just finished this one, and my feelings are mixed. There's no doubt that the design is incredible, with all the custom objects and amazing scripted motions. It certainly gets a 10 from me for Novel/Unique and Technical Effects, as it's an amazingly creative idea, and is executed brilliantly. The reflective floor is sheer genius. Unfortunately, by the time I finally won, I was kind of tired of doing the same old things every night to scare the couple, and was glad it was finally over. Dealing with the priest twice was the only time my adrenaline got going, and I almost died the second time he came to the house.

raetsel -
    spoiler:
    I never managed to scare the man with the telescope, the lady with the piano, or either one of them with one of the books. I kept thinking if I'm banging on the piano while they're both in the room, then surely they're going to freak out - but they ignored it.

For those having trouble, here are the things I did which consistently got a reaction:
    spoiler:
    1. Salt their soup - it takes 5 or 6 pinches per bowl, and you have to move pretty fast to get it too salty before they're done.
    2. Play the victrola.
    3. Move the clock on the mantel backwards while the man is reading - he usually notices.
    4. In the office, keep opening the safe and scattering his papers.
    5. Walk through them so they get a chill.

I was really hoping I'd be able to throw dishes, turn lamps off and on again, and do other ghostly things. Also, the kitchen was a useless room with the exception of avoiding the priest. But all in all, this is a monumental achievement in terms of design and execution. The custom objects and motions will no doubt be reused by other authors for years to come.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

I pretty much agree with Yandros on this mission. It's very well-designed and uber unique, but eventually you just end up going through the motions and wish something more exciting would happen. The priest was a nice touch though...might I suggest adding a few more frobbable items into the house? Maybe have every day focus on scaring them out of a different room? Or better yet, have a rival ghost come in on your territory, and you have to lead him to the priest to get him out. I kept waiting for a chance to manifest myself into a full fledged haunt and chase the couple around the house, sword in hand.

Anyway, Yandros, you missed a few things-
    spoiler:
    You can try turning the telescope by holding the use button on the two little dials below it, that really freaks out the guy when he tries using it. Also, you have to hold the use button over the piano keys- then you start playing a really freaky tune that causes them to cautiously walk over and shut the piano case. Also, to scare them with the books, you have to turn the pages before they read them.

Yandros, which mission was yours!? C'mon, JUST TELL US!!! That's the one I want to play next...
    Out of the nine I played I'd have to take a wild guess and say "The Adventures of Burrick Boy" could possibly be yours...

That's enough!
    spoiler:
    I've survived two priest's visists. What should I do next? It's the same every day. No progress... When will it end?

ZylonBane
    Originally posted by sluggs
    And that floor, it's a really neat trick. I've seen it done before somewhere, not saying where though.
    There's a Half-Life single-player map that used the same trick. Poke646, I believe. Ah yes, here's a screenie--

http://www.poke646.com/
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

Such trick was used few years ago in one of the demo missons... Of course, I am talking about Thief DM.

spoiler:
    I have survived third priest's visit. The next day priest did not come. But it's still the same... same... same... What should I do? How many days (nights) should I haunt?

I'm lucky I had the update scripts installed.

I loved the reflection technique. Who made this? Yandros? (admit it old boy)

It reminds me of the design found in the Burrick's Head Inn in any event. Very well done!

@ The Mike, I'm 100 and 1 % sure who made BurrickBoy but i can't say even though i'm dying to! ARRRGH! Come ooon, which taffer loves Burricks so much? Hehe!

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

PS. As for who made The Haunting? I haven't a CLUE!

It's very easy to figure out who did Burrick Boy, if you know what to look for.

I would never have dreamed of doing the reflecting floor trick used in The Haunting. I have tried to make objects and doors that AI can walk through, but not the player (the opposite of The Haunting) for my FM The Circulation of Shadows, but never could get it working perfectly. I can only imagine the scripting and pathfinding tricks that the author of The Haunting must have used to get AI to open doors and not walk through walls which the player can pass through effortlessly.

@The Mike - I tried that on the telescope and he never alerted. Thanks for the piano tip though, I'll have to load a save to see that in action.

@bukary -
    spoiler:
    Keep trying, it may depend on how much you scare them. In my game (on Easy) they ran out on Night 7, but I only had two visits from the priest to deal with. It may be on higher difficulties that he comes back more often and also it takes longer to get rid of the couple.

Komag: When are you going to announce/publish a list of the authors' names? You know how much everyone loves guessing who did what...

The person I thought did "The Haunting" didn't ... unless they needed a clue for their own mission The exorcisms were scary... that darn priest kept following me around the whole place, and got me a couple of times Eventually, those people left , just couldn't take the salt (and the piano,and the papers... )

This is certainly the mission with the most technical wizardry I've seen so far in this contest. Just watching those two people with all their custom motions is already amazing. The reflecting floor is a fantastic addition, and those numerous custom objects give the FM a unique feel (love the new safe door). It's fun freaking the couple out, although I agree it got a bit tiresome doing the same things night after night. Fortunately, the priest added some thrill later on.

It'd have been great if there had been new objects to play with each night, but I guess the contest's deadline needed to be met, and even more scripting trickery would have caused the mission to explode.

I suspect that the author is mentioned in the credits list of the FM's readme file to get us off the track

I agree. This person is not only a master of custom objects, but extremely knowledgeable about custom motions. The list of FM authors who could have pulled off this mission is pretty short - anyone who visits TEG often should know the 4 names I have in mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast