TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C5 Plagiarism

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

C5 Plagiarism

I thought this was a very fun little mission, well constructed, with a good story and gameplay. I missed a few hundred loot, so I'll have to play it again to look for the rest. The No-KO guard makes that area tougher with the no kill objective, but it wasn't so hard as to be frustrating. This is a really nice effort - nothing earth-shattering, but a solid mission - and a great little city mission for those who like them.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Just played this one too. I love the way designers manage to cram so much into such a small space. That church for instance is tiny but intricately built. Good stuff.
    FM Flying Pigs 75.456% complete. 2395 objects used. I am standing on the edge of the precipice sh*tting myself.

Originally posted by Origami Thief
    I love the way designers manage to cram so much into such a small space.
    me too! i didn't quite know how to word that sort of compliment without making it sound like i was saying it was crowded, heh
    this one did a nice job with putting a lot in, but not making it over-crowded and hard to maneuver in (and i especially noticed - that unlike many a church, i can walk between the pews, thank you!) - really nice!

Bah, the title tricked me into thinking this thread was about plagiarism in the C5 contest, and I came ready with my torch and pitchfork too.

I was really impressed with this mission. I hadn't seen a contest mission that did traditional Thief gameplay this well since Hightowne Museum - it's a breath of fresh air in an era of quirky gimmickry.

As has been said the gameplay isn't earth-shatteringly original but it doesn't need to be: it is an excellent sneaker writ small, with well-balanced difficulty, solidly executed and polished throughout. The city spaces were attractive and believable; a nice storyline and well-written, articulate readables are the icing on the cake. Well done!

I also really like this mission. Has anyone managed to get on the roof of the church? Nice view from there...

Great mission. Excellent, old-school taffin' gameplay, nice little touches, a real pure Thief stuff. So far for me it's tied with Maelstorm (I just love the Undead )

Originally posted by bukary
    I also really like this mission. Has anyone managed to get on the roof of the church? Nice view from there...
    How did you do that? I didn't think it was possible. The side rooves are too sloped to get a crate to stay still enough to jump and/or stack on, and there aren't enough crates in the mission to stack from the ground. I tried for ages to get up there but couldn't do it. You can't jump from the only high enough roof nearby (the tudor house) because there are invisible barriers stopping you getting onto the roof so you can't rope arrow up.

Unless you jumped onto the apartment building roof from the engineer's roof and from there onto the church? I'd have thought it was too steep to manage that.

Of the about 6 missions I've played so far, this is my favorite. It's got fun and sneaky gameplay, the architecture is very good and the background stories of the different people is a nice touch. Well done indeed!
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

Anyone have any problem getting this mission to end?

I completed all objectives (on expert, 100 short of total loot) except "Go to Gilliam's apartment", "Don't kill anyone", and "Don't knock out anyone", (and I haven't killed or ko'd anyone). Then, when I entered Gilliam's apartment, he said, "Welcome Garrett", and I expected the mission to end, but it didn't. Don't know why, but the archer guard just outside gets alerted after I've been in Gilliam's apartment for a few moments (even after I've shut the door behind me). Can't see how that would prevent the mission from ending, though.

Even if this is a bug, I love this mission, so far my favorite of the C5s, because of its authentic Thief-play, without all the technical bells and whistles so predominant in the C5s I've played so far. Just good old wholesome sneaking and timing required.

I had the same problem bassmanret (including that oddly-behaved archer), but I just assumed it was objective trouble and declared myself finished anyway

Thanks, Vigil!

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something..... I do that alot...

nice, easy atmospheric mission, good fun (i couldnt enter the pub-is this an error?)

Genie_Bottle: In the church you can rope up to a broken window and from there walk out on the roof.

I've got a question too:
    I've got almost all objectives, I've stolen the money of the curch, but the objective doesn't tick off.
    I also can't get into the pub.
    I've got a Vestrykey which I can't find no use for, so I must have missed something.
    As I get to Gilliams appartment, the outer door doesn't light up but I can open "some" door inside ......... can't get in anywhere though ....... all windows (also the upper windows are shut.
    Did I miss a secret button somewhere? I searched all over the place, escpeccially in the house where somewhere (?-on the attic??) a man is snoaring in his sleep.

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Gloria:
    spoiler:
    You missed the vestry in the church, which is on the ground floor. The church collection money is inside there.

Once all your other objectives are complete, Gilliam's apartment will open for you.

you can get on the roof by using crates and getting on top of the fence stuff at the end of an alley & jumping onto that slanted roof as well
    this was one of my favorites as well - nice and classically thiefy

Ah, you mean the lower roof. That's easy to get onto - only two crates needed, although three makes it a nicer jump. I thought you meant the higher central church roof which I haven't been able to get onto no matter how I try.

Ghost

Key?

[Folks]

I can get down into the crypt area -- the part where the vagrants are sleeping and pacing -- but I can't get through the door down there, where I presume I find the skull of St. Tristan. It's locked, and my picks don't work. Is there a key somewhere that I missed?

Thanks,

Dafydd

spoiler:
    Yes, there's a key on Builder guard that opens room on left. In that room is crypt key.

OK ........ some people ( Genie_Bottle do live by the rule: WHEN ONE CAN TAKE THE DIFFICULT ROAD ........... USE THAT ONE !!!!! DON'T TAKE THE EASY RIDE TO YOUR GOAL ......

Just kidding!

Gloria Creep

BTW: Did you Taffers all signed the petition yet, put on to this forum ( up above ) by Nightwalker, our own Taffer guardian angel? )....NO ???!........... GO and get there and SIGN UP!!! No Taffer can keep up hers/his proud head, when playing all of these great FM's, but not signing this petition, so DO IT ....... and DO IT NOW!!!

Gloria Creep

Wow, when I signed late last night there were 700 signatures, now 950!

Ghost

Yeesh!

[Nens]

It's been sitting in my #*$&! inventory all this time.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Originally posted by bassmanret
    Anyone have any problem getting this mission to end?

I completed all objectives (on expert, 100 short of total loot) except "Go to Gilliam's apartment", "Don't kill anyone", and "Don't knock out anyone", (and I haven't killed or ko'd anyone). Then, when I entered Gilliam's apartment, he said, "Welcome Garrett", and I expected the mission to end, but it didn't. Don't know why, but the archer guard just outside gets alerted after I've been in Gilliam's apartment for a few moments (even after I've shut the door behind me). Can't see how that would prevent the mission from ending, though.

Even if this is a bug, I love this mission, so far my favorite of the C5s, because of its authentic Thief-play, without all the technical bells and whistles so predominant in the C5s I've played so far. Just good old wholesome sneaking and timing required.
    I have the same problem, and it looks like the door does not have the AI block vision on it.

Anyway this mission was fun and well designed. I don't want to say anything negative, but if I did, it would be the roombrushing. Some areas had no sound, and others changed to outdoors while still indoors. The keys didn't have any labels, but no big deal.

John

Ummm...

The strangest thing I've ever experienced in Thief happened to me in this mission. Right in the start, the guard started walking towards me as a crouch in the shadows. Then as he's nearly on top of me he jumps back from noticing me and then he falls forward on his face, dead! Has this ever happened to anyone before. I though this was scripted or something and that it was gonna be a freaky mission with some mad invisble killing monster on the loose. Heh, anyhow erm good mission.

haha
    that's funny - i wish i could see that - i haven't heard that happening to anyone else (period - let alone in this mission - it sure didn't happen to me... now i want to go play with it some more )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast