TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: c5 the summit

c5 the summit

this is looking really interesting so far... but i'm stuck on the easiest setting:

how to explain where might be kinda difficult, but i'll try:

spoiler:
    i'm on a ledge that is pretty rectangular except for a perfect triangle cut out of the middle-front edge & right behind me is an entrance with a big hole down - i can use the grappling hook and get up higher & see in some kind of windows, but can't see a way to mantle up onto that ledge

is mantling onto this ledge the only way to go and i just have to go about it differently or something (i'm always going flying off when i try)?
    if my description of where i am even makes sense
    any help would be appreciated!

cheers

Have you
    spoiler:
    used the footholes in the rock yet to climb up?

As for your origin, i'm not sure if that's the same on the other settings because i think those ledges are in different places depending on what difficulty setting you are on. I THINK!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Had to go back a few saves to check, but if you're where I think you are, you just need to
    spoiler:
    put a hook in the ceiling of the cave behind you and lower yourself down.... and try to retrieve your hook if possible. I usually take damage when I hit the bottom, but if you do it right you'll hit a wall on the way down and take none (I did that once).

I get the feeling folks are going to have to post screenshots half the time on this one just to let everyone know where they are...

oh, thanks!
    spoiler:
    i had to go down that hole then up another one

expert level should be fun with my apparent climbing skills - maybe i should use dromed for an instructor on that level!

yeah, a tad bit hard to describe where you are, heh

Raetsel...I am stuck in the same spot..to my right way up is a hookable ledge but when I try to mantel I keep flying off...I also went down the hole but it just goes down.

I see

This one i really liked, great atmosphere and all. I am not going to play it on expert though. Played it on hard with many many reloads but with great fun.
    The author did a good job

I played this one on expert for awhile . Although the mission looked great and came with some nifty little tricks ( especially the grappling hooks ) I threw Garret off the cliff out of sheer boredom . This one would make a great addition to a large mission pack .

How long have we got now until we find out who did what?

We won't find out until after the last day of voting. The last day to play is April 30.

Joh

real great mission. I finished it on hard. Later im going to try it on expert but I think that is really hard... I don't like the ending. There must be a kind of
    spoiler:
    treasure
    at the end ... ;(

OIC Thanx for the info john9818a. (I guess i should have just gone to KOMAG's site to found out!)

Stupid Radeon!! Arrrrgh!!

I had to turn off fogging/weather ingame a couple of times to cheat a little. Stupid, freakin' ATI Radeon 9700 Pro....$300 fog machine is what it is. In case nobody saw my comparison screenshots post about the differences in GeForce and ATI cards, lemme esplain...

GeForce: looks like fog.
    ATI: looks like Garrett has been mauled by cotton monsters who've crammed snowy blobs of fluff in his eyes, up his butt, in his ears....Playing this mission is like "trying to spot the white rabbit in a snowfield" teaser. Seriously. Everything just goes solid white about 8 feet out in front of our buddy Garrett.

If anybody has an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and can actually see in this mission, I'd be interested in finding out what settings you're using. I've played with Z Fog tables, Y Fog buffer parameters, and Fog T trilinear filter squoggles until I'm blue in the face. Helllllppp, I'm snowblind!

Oh, almost forgot! This is a great mission, just wish I could see it a little better. The meticulous design in getting brushes placed just right and making it just varied enough to be a geological masterpiece is amazing. (I think I know who made this one....)

Found the link if you want to see a comparison. Just imagine the top pic of mine in that thread with a max view distance of about 10 feet, and you'll begin to understand how an ATI card just "walls off" the rest of the world in a thick white blanket.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...820#post786820
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 26th Mar 2004 at 22:05.

I've got the Radeon 9600 XT. Don't know if that makes a difference but fog looked fine on mine. Then again, maybe I couldn't see any fog. I thought all the fog was done by particle effects, it looked the same with fog on and off. One thing that's kinda fun is playing with weather on and then turning it off (I did this so I could see the ledge better on one part), makes it look the matrix with all the flakes frozen in mid air.

Made it to the top with 1200 out of 1300 loot, bothers me that I missed another 100 somewhere down there. Every part of this mission was sweet, what a great challenge! Grapling hooks are very nice!

Dang! Just about all these missions are amazing, don't know how I'll ever vote on them.

[EDIT] Egads, you're right HD! I tried playing my old mission Swamped and what do you know, no fog. Oh well. [/EDIT]
    Last edited by Sharga; 27th Mar 2004 at 22:36.

If you want to try and "fix it" , you can do a search on Google for "Rage 3d Tweak". I'm fairly certain that works with all the newer Radeon cards. Then search here for some keywords like 'fog radeon fix rage' and that should turn up the relative threads about it.

I remember there were 3 fog settings (labeled 'Table's) in Rage 3d Tweak and I had to turn them off, play a game with fog in it, then switch them on, and restart my computer in between steps, and after many, many tweaks it finally reared its ugly head.

The gripe I have about fog in Radeons is that there is no smooth transition along sight lines like in the GeForces. In an ATI view, it just gets foggy exponentially from the player all of a sudden, and it soon becomes an impenetrable wall of fog in no time, whereas the GeForces seem to smoothly, almost linearly, get foggier over larger distances. I have no idea mathematically how fog in real life affects vision, but the GeForce looks more like real fog to me. My ATI looks like I'm in a big hollowed out snowball, and with some settings, Garrett can't see more than about 12 feet before everything is solid white!

Please tell me a secret: How do you all manage to enjoy a mission like this? I mean it's a wonderful idea and I bow deeply before the building skills of the author (which I could only experience through Dromed), but I just can't get anywhere in it. I only made it to the first "snow ladder" on Molehill, where there are two ledges close together on top of each other, but I can't even get to the second one because the hook sticks nowhere. How do you all make progress so easily? I didn't need to play the expert level to get frustrated

(Ah well, maybe I shouldn't post while I'm still in a bad mood... )

IIRC, just jump from the top of the "ladder" to the lower ledge, then mantle up to the higher ledge.

Hmmm, don't know, Bumbleson, but after traversing Don's Two Fathers and Komag's Great Tree, this one was fairly simple really. Except for the mind-numbingly aggravating Gussie's Dream, I've always been fairly adept at navigating most of Thief's quirky terrain.

It's the hidden secrets/key-hunt/puzzle-solving problems that bring me down. I consider myself to have a fairly sensitive ear to sounds and tones, but I can't seem to get the harps to play in the correct order in that other C5 FM where you have to figure out which notes are what. Everybody has their "Waterloo(s)" I guess.

I'm the same way. Although The Summit was indeed a challenge, it wasn't too hard for me (at least on the medium difficulty, I don't think I could handle doing it with no saves). And The Great Tree was good fun! I'm one who loves climbing and mastering difficult terrain. I can't remember exactly which one Two Fathers was but if I remember correctly it has a big stone tower in the middle that you have to climb up inside through a series of difficult jumps, that too I loved. Even Gussies dream was less stressful once I finished the first two rooms. But on the other hand, I'm terribly bad at solving riddles and discovering secret switches. We've all got our strangths in thieving. Hmm, twould make an interesting pole methinks...

Ok, you did it. Now I feel like an idiot

But let me tell you that I made it past that point and now I know what kept me from getting on. First of all thanks for the mantling tip Yandros. I never tried that because the ledge seemed too high to do that. But then - another dead end! Imagine my frustration

Then I decided that if I had to cheat I would do it consequently. So I loaded Dromed and turned the lights on (light_bright) and the weather off. Then I saw it: That little spot of rock texture at the side of a ledge above me. That was where the hook had to go!
    I think I fell victim to the same "snowball effect" on my ATI card HitDeity complained about some posts above. I just couldn't see that rocky spot, because the ledge was behind a thick foggy wall. And after not being able to shoot a hook in the other two ledges, I had decided not to waste my time with the third.

I think I'm slowly getting the grip on this mission now

That is exactly where I went in and turned weather/fog off, Bumbleson. Sorry I forgot. I also thought it was just another un-grapplable(sp?) texture, so I turned off the snowball and there it was. There's just no way to see it with my card. (I'm glad someone else suffers from the same ATI-curse as me. Misery loves company.)

Maybe the driver designers saw how crappy the table fog was, and therefore left it off by default?

I've managed to get to the place with the long shaft that goes straight up, but where do i go from there and how far am i from the summit? And what is it with that ghost i encountered?

Originally posted by Mortal Monkey
    Maybe the driver designers saw how crappy the table fog was, and therefore left it off by default?
    I rather think they didn't care.

Originally posted by shadows
    I've managed to get to the place with the long shaft that goes straight up, but where do i go from there and how far am i from the summit? And what is it with that ghost i encountered?
    I'm not sure where you are, there are lots of places with long shafts going up.
    My assumption is that the ghostly dwarves are the former inhabitants of the ancient/Lost City-style area. Good thing they're harmless, or else you'd have to battle them with a grappling hook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast