TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C5 House of Random

C5 House of Random

Another great mission!

spoiler:
    I found 4 bonus objectives. Yet I cannot fulfill 'leave your mark' objective. I guess that I should sign the book, but I don't know how to do this. The quill does not work.

I also don't where the secret in this mission is.

This was a very fun mission. Sucked me in right away.

bukary
    spoiler:
    that objective is very tricky. Try dropping the quill on the book or on the floor. I can't remember exactly what got it to tick off but it did eventually work.
    It's a very, very nice mission, though.

Quite fun!

spoiler:
    I never found the secret (played on Ghost) and couldn't find what door went with the West Tower key. Also, in the hallway behind the bed on the 3rd floor, there's a pedastal that has three triangles on it. I never found what might be placed there, in unless it was supposed to be for the Oroborous' which had been added to my loot

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm just a little way into this one, but I was hugely impressed with the window textures which change from dark to lighted and back as the guards flip lights on and off while they patrol inside. Reminds me of Lorgan's Web.

I didn't realize it at first, and was happily sitting outside a dark window on the balcony. Just then, a guard walked out the door to patrol onto the balcony, and then a guard inside must have walked into the room on the other side of the window and flipped on the light, because I went from full shadow to full light. Needless to say, I was shocked, spotted, and quickly reloading. What fun! I love this attention to detail. My only gripe so far is that the teleporting around in the early area was very disconcerting... but then this is the House of Random...

I saw a hint to the secret
    spoiler:
    on a poster in town.

Ghost

I guess I'm alone. Oh well.

[Folks]

I very, very rarely say this... but I absolutely hate this mission. So much so I doubt I'm even going to finish.

There is no safe place to stand and catch your breath except the bathroom. The guards can see you in total darkness. You turn lights off, and a servant comes in three seconds and turns them on again. There is no particular pattern that I could see, or else it's so complex that it's very hard to predict.

It took me about fifteen reloads just to go up the stairs from second to third floor.

I have no idea where the gallery alarm shutoff is. Probably in the bedroom, but I'm almost at the point where I just don't care anymore.

House of Random is a good name for it, but it's more or less a crapshoot whether you make it through a room before some idiot comes along and turns on all the lights again. There's no time really to plan anything -- just go and be ready to reload fifty or a hundred times.

I'm sorry, but I cannot get into this style of play at all.

Dafydd

Don't you like chellenges, Dafydd? Besides, you've got PLENTY of tools in this missions. Use them. There are also alternative ways between floors.

And one more thing:
    spoiler:
    If you want to avoid the alarm, use heavy stone and heavy golden skull to replace the hand and the eye.

Ghost

Challenges

[Bukary]

The challenges I like are those where clever thinking, clever strategy, unorthodox approaches and such have a good shot at yielding victory. Not victory through repeated dice rolling.

It's not that I can't finish this mission... it's that I've gotten through its various parts only by luck and repeated reloading: try it, get spotted, reload; wait a few moments, try again, get spotted, reload; wait for the guard to go the other way, try again, get just barely spotted, reload; wait for the guard to go the other way but leave just slightly earlier, try again, make it, save.

I think I'm safe, I save at that spot, then some guard comes out of nowhere just as someone flips on a light I didn't even know was there -- and now I have to reload from an earlier save and replay the above paragraph!

I don't find this challenging; I find it frustrating. I've completed over 150 missions (most of them by ghosting), and this is one of only two or three that I dislike so intensely I don't want even to finish it.

By contrast, I absolutely loved The Focus and enjoyed most of the rest of Contest V. I'm not saying Random is a bad mission; I don't think there are any bad missions (and since I've never created a mission in my life, I'd be a fine one to make such a pronouncement anyway). But it's so antithetical to my style of play that I just cannot enjoy it.

Dafydd

Originally posted by bukary
    Don't you like chellenges, Dafydd? Besides, you've got PLENTY of tools in this missions. Use them. There are also alternative ways between floors.

And one more thing:
    spoiler:
    If you want to avoid the alarm, use heavy stone and heavy golden skull to replace the hand and the eye.
    I used two KO'ed guards instead.

Anyway this FM was fun. The only problems I had were
    spoiler:
    trying to climb up the balcony where the guard is patroling in and out, and the number of locked doors & so many keys. I got lucky and managed to get three guards to search for me in the long hall way... I just KO one after the other.
    I'm still looking for the rest of the loot. I'm about 400 short.

John

Edit: I finished the mission, but the
    spoiler:
    bonus objective to leave my mark didn't check off, even after I dropped the quill on the book. The book showed the name "Garrett."
    Last edited by john9818a; 14th Mar 2004 at 19:17.

Nice mission, wouldn't want to ghost it, though. The teleporting at the beginning was a bit confusing. Is there any explanation for that?
    The architecture is quite impressive, I particularly like those plants surrounded by stairs.

The mission has some funny moments, like
    spoiler:
    when you whack a servant and lift him up it says "what did he ever do to you?"
    or the book that goes "blah blah blah" when you reach page 3.

I had quite a unique experience in this one (could have happened in any other mission really, but anyway): I got scared by a female servant! Not the other way around (although that happened shortly after): I was trying all my keys at a lock, then turned around to look for another door, and there she was walking right into me. I nearly threw my mouse away.
    After sucessfully going through the horror that was The Haunted Cathedral you'd think nothing could scare me that easily

Can somebody help me please

spoiler:
    I'm trying to get in through a window near the maintenance shed. Its up high above the barrel. I've tried roping the window surround, rope too close to wall to climb; I've also tried getting more boxes and stack my way up there but I've only found a few extra ones and this does not seem enough. I know something is in that area coz I can see a little ladder going down in the far left corner.

I've done most of the rest of the mission and thoroughly enjoyed it but I'm snagged on this problem.

Anyone been in there?

hey everyone....has anyone found the secret? i am about 400 short!

hey numb

spoiler:
    i took the crates with me, jumped on the barrel, then dropped them while on the barrel....took awhile to get them just right, but that is how i got in

I can't decide if I like this mission or not. I have played so many fan missions and I can't remember when I've seen so many locked doors and keys! Every single door is locked and I have to thumb through my profuse list of keys just to find the right one. I feel like a damn janitor through this one and it has worn me haggard tonight. It started out pretty well but I think I will just find a place to sit down in a dark carpeted hallway and crawl into to the fetal postion and count my keys until tomorrow night and try again.

Thanks nil8hate, I was doing that to a degree but I just need to double my efforts I guess

comfortably numb

there's another way into this building (bonus objective)
    spoiler:
    by teleporting: you start in this little room outside of the mainbuilding, that you reach from the platform outside of the east tower in the 3rd floor. There you can frob the light switch and you will be teleportet to another room, where you can frob the light switch again etc. The second time I had to try it several times before I got finally in the last room
    Last edited by snowcap21; 20th Mar 2004 at 09:03.

Just finished it and so far it's running second place for me. Great mission

Originally posted by Schwaa2
    I saw a hint to the secret
    spoiler:
    on a poster in town.
    Thanks,

Dafyd, I know what you mean. I've been stuck in missions like that before and it bummed me out.

Like Equilibrium. The first couple times worked me. Didn't play it for quite awhile, went back and everything worked out, finished the mission. It's now a fav.

This was a very good mission, even though there were just a few tile floors too many.

I also found the use of teleportation in certain areas to be somewhat strange, but I guess it was to get the most out of the contest space - this mission certainly seemed to biggest of them all, almost the size of a normal FM. Congratulations to the author for such good use of space.

The architecture was good, but there was no area that really stood out, nothing that made me stop and think 'Wow!'

I especially liked the part on the top floor where [spoider]the woman would come out of the master bedroom, but the man wouldn't. So, I waited for the woman to come out, and caught the door so that she wouldn't lock it, and sneaked in. Of course, the man did evenually decide to come out, and was probably on a delayed patrol all along, but it was still fun doing it this way.[/spoiler]

There were a few too many keys, I guess, but once you found the Master Key, everything was fine.

- NV

About bonus objective:

spoiler:
    First I dropped quill on book and message showed...'Thanks for the loot, Garrett' or something similar. But objective didn't ticked off. Then I picked quill again and dropped it again on book, then it did tick.

Anyway, short 220 of max loot, anyone know some easily missed? And btw, anyone found ring that 'little bird' took?

Yes, I found the ring. It's right where it should be according to the clue.
    spoiler:
    I think it's on a windowsill you can get to from up on one of the balconys, though I have to admit I'm not sure. I haven't played the final release yet, only the beta.

Originally posted by Nens

Anyway, short 220 of max loot, anyone know some easily missed? And btw, anyone found ring that 'little bird' took?
    spoiler:
    The ring should be 100 of that. I found it by following the clue. North of the bathhouse. Up by the sky. Green texture above ladder.

I had a blast playing this mission on expert . The teleporters were a bit strange and the first jump into the mansion was a little hard , but I thought the guards were average - maybe even a little easy to knock out . Hell - it was funny to KO the servants and throw them downstairs , then hide and wait for the guards . The authors attention to the visual aspect of the mission plus the little bits of humor kept the fun rolling right along .

Really enjoying this mission. Particuarly finding the well hidden ring by accident when trying to find an alternative way out and really liked the teleporting when flipping light switches. My question is, are we supposed to fit the oro's on the dias that is there specifically for them? I hope not because for some reason the oro's have disappeared from my inventory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast