TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 62 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Get learning Anim8or!

Really! It all seems daunting at first but a couple of hours ago i opened up Anim8or and checked out the eggplant tutorial on the site.

Here's what i have done so far...

Already i have learned quite a bit from that small tut, it really gets you started. OK, but who wants to make an eggplant? It's doesn't matter about that, this teaches you the methods of creating any object and you really should give it a go.

I'm leaving Dromed for a while now because i need to make new objects, i'm desperate for them! At least i have something new to play with too while you taffers' are enjoying T3!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:37.

Previously Important
    I'd suggest people also learn the joy of low-poly modelling and how to skin for implied detail, unless we all want 100Mb FMs that run like a Powerpoint presentation.

Indeed. I have already thought about low poly models. That will come later.

That's encouraging Sluggs. I'd always meant to get into 3D modelling but was afraid it might take a month or so to start producing anything worthwhile.

How simple is it to actually get the object out of Anim8tor and into a mission? And add stuff like texture sounds and etc.? Is there a tutorial for all this stuff?

Anyway, I'm downloading right now but don't know when I can find time...

Crikey! It's down already! Only 611K. I'll get the manual now.....

Still no smilies? This is the best I can do... 8)

LOL! The manual is about 1.3MB !!!! Bigger than the program!!!

It's rather premature, but maybe we should get figuring out static mesh modelling & that sort of thing...ya know?

ZylonBane
    Static mesh? What do you think this is, Unreal?

How simple is it to actually get the object out of Anim8or and into a mission? And add stuff like texture sounds and etc.? Is there a tutorial for all this stuff?

Give me a chance, i haven't got to that stage yet!
    Last edited by sluggs; 30th May 2004 at 18:13.

Tadaa! An Eggplant! My first ever object! It's not as good as it could be but for a first attempt, it ain't bad at all!

@ Fingernail & ZylonBane, what do you mean by static meshes? Are they for creating AI?
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:38.

hehehehe is an amazing fun...

Nice. Now make that one <200 polys

Actually, that model can be made with far less poly's. I will see what i can do. Maybe i'll make a low poly version of it tomorrow. I could even remove the egg and make it into a fancy candle holder or something like that! It would even make a nice light like the mushroom!

Ye know, i always thought eggs were laid not grown!
    Last edited by sluggs; 26th May 2004 at 18:06.

Cool! Kind of odd looking I would say, but your right, for your first object, not bad! I have Anim8or but I have never really used it. (well, not for my own creation, but for viewing of objects. An example is the tormenter guy from half-life that is converted to a thief ai......)

-I guess I will have to learn this program. Yeah, maybe I could make an object too!!! (IT'S FINALLY SUMMER!!!! YAY! NO MORE FINALS!!!!! Ahem, sorry..... Today was my last day of finals. School ended today. NOw I can finally get to an fm. Well, there is an issue.... Okay, I'll stop yakking here an pm you instead.....)

AHHHHH NO MORE SCHOOL

anyways in anim8tor I can`t load textures.
    how do you load textures in anim8tor???

Sluggs you taffer ! Show off something interesting, and just assume that we all know the place ya got it from...

What eggplant tutorial ? At what site ? Please ?

All right ! Thanks Eshaktaar

Quote Originally Posted by Moghedian
    Sluggs you taffer ! Show off something interesting, and just assume that we all know the place ya got it from...

What eggplant tutorial ? At what site ? Please ?
    Sorry!

@ shadow theif, i haven't started that part yet but it looks like you need to goto "Options" at the top menu and click on "Materials" then a box will pop up on the left hand side then you double-click on "New" and you choose what you want from the features in there. Once you have done that, you click on the part of the object you want to apply the textures to and click "Apply" in the "Materials" box and you should see the results already! All that knowledge from a few hours with Anim8or and that single Eggplant tut! I think i love this program already!

Oh, here's a handy tip...

Save your work in stages. If you mess up, you can go back to an earlier stage - Just like Dromed!
    Last edited by sluggs; 30th May 2004 at 18:14.

Static meshes was, as ZylonBane rightfully pointed out, an Unreal reference.

Because if we ever get a working Thief3 editor, we'll need a hellofalot of static meshes.

For the most part in UnrealEngine 2, you can kiss BSP/CSG geometry goodbye. Everything (more or less, there must be one big 'air brush' for all to go in), is made of objects crafted outside UnrealEd.

But this is also why I said it was premature.

How simple is it to actually get the object out of Anim8tor and into a mission?

Take it through n3ds2e and then edit the .e files (you need to add the 'Phong' texture command) then use BSP

And add stuff like texture sounds and etc.? Is there a tutorial for all this stuff?

That takes place in dromed. There a lots of tuts showing how to do it.

Oh, try to learn LithUnwrap for the UV mapping. The inbuilt one is horrible!

Sluggs - welcome to the modelling community!
    An low-poly models will come in time, with practice - and so will the proper application of textures. Trust me - I started modelling in September 2003. My first model was an apple from some off-site tutorial - my second was a (quite bad, and moderately high-poly) version of the SS1 Concussion Bomb.
    If you want to see my current models, look in the SS2 editing forum. Trust me, in a few months you'll be able to make almost anything you want - except for complex organics (that is, people and complex aimals such as Burricks, cat, dogs and Plant Mutants).

Thanx! I'm glad i can finally join you! I thought i'd never be able to make any objects! Thanx to Anim8or and the Eggplant tutorial, i have began my journey!

I will make another version of the Eggplant soon and see how much i can reduce the poly's and still making it look good at the same time. I will make a couple of textures for it also. After that, i will experiment with making a few simple objects like a Font or a Fountain and try to learn what sizes are the best for creating Thief objects.

I really recommend the Eggplant tutorial to anyone who wishes to get into making custom objects, it will really get you started.

Good luck...

PS. I'll check your objects out G'len, i'd like to see them. (If i can find them that is)
    Last edited by sluggs; 30th May 2004 at 18:15.

Hehe. Sluggs that was nice. Anim8or is a great program. 3D MAx pissed me off. Simple, easy and efficient- Go Anim8or, go!

Yametha: n3ds2e? Is that on the Thief CD?

No. 3ds2e is on the Thief || CD but it has the same function as n3ds2e. It is in your thef folder. There is the BSP too.
    Last edited by weadford; 27th May 2004 at 08:31.

Page 1 of 62 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast