TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567121722273237424752 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Schwaa has a program on his Low Poly Guild site called 3DS2BIN. I downloaded it but i haven't got it working just yet as it needs VB runtime files to work and i haven't got those yet!

http://208.49.149.120/schwaa/index.html There is also a tut for texturing your model, in Anim8or, and then converting it for Thief. Thanx Schwaa!
    Last edited by sluggs; 30th May 2004 at 18:15.

I suggest you to download UV mapper. It's a simple program that unwraps your object's texture. It helps when you're creating complicated and twisted objects. I've tried a couple of times to do it through Anim8or but I screwed it up every time. While using Anim8or you won't need to fix the texture or whatever.

sluggs,

Don't forget my BintoE and Eto3DS tools. You can take apart existing Thief binary objects to see how they were made. Always educational. Especially when you want to graduate to jointed / translating objects.

Don't worry, Shadowspawn, i will be using them to look at the original Thief objects later on so i can see how they work, such as the doors and containers, and the objects with Vhots and all that in them. I'm going to have to compile a special CD with all the object tools and the original Thief objects and tuts than i can cram onto it! I am determined to make my own objects. Besides, when i've had enough of making FM's, which won't be very long, i'd like to create them for you taffers' to use!

The inbuilt UV mapper isn't that horrible once you learn how to use it. The first thing you have to do is place your camera in the right place and looking at the model in the right direction. After that you should only have to do some minor editing.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspawn
    Don't forget my BintoE and Eto3DS tools. You can take apart existing Thief binary objects to see how they were made. Always educational.
    Speaking of which-- anybody ever figure out why some objects suffer texture warp when partially offscreen, but others don't?

I think it's the repetition of a (small) texture across a large, non-rectangular surface that gives the Dark Engine headaches.
    E.g. the golden picture frames look very distorted when only partially displayed. The small texture is repeated many times across the front frame, which consists of four trapezoids. I tried to remake a picture frame from scratch, but ended up with the same effect in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
    The inbuilt UV mapper isn't that horrible once you learn how to use it. The first thing you have to do is place your camera in the right place and looking at the model in the right direction. After that you should only have to do some minor editing.
    I did learn how to use it. The biggest problem is not placing the camera, but scaling the texture. Have you tried placing a texture so it lines up precisely with three points? Or making something that neatly unrolls to take up all avialiable texture space?

Well, i'm slowly beginning to get used to this program now. I've started to make a fountain for Thief as a test object.

OK. Back to the fountain!

PS. Thank the Builder this has grid snapping, just like Dromed! In fact, i feel like i'm in Dromed with Anim8or!

Oh, one last thing! Can you dismantle finished objects, say the Thief objects, to see how they were put together and view each part's properties or are they just one whole object when finished and cannot be dismantled? I'm asking so i can learn from them and i need to know how to make a cube invisible to make a Vhot for attaching particles to.

[EDIT]

Can you cut-out shapes like you can in Dromed? I'm trying to carve a hole for the water, there won't actually be any in there, but i'm not getting very far. I did manage to carve a hole through a square but that was with using the "Bridge" command. However, i can't do that when i don't want to carve a hole right through the square, also using the "Inset" tool! I want to make a cut-out like you make Baths and Pools in Dromed. I'd have thought that the "Extrude Faces" tool would have done that by pulling downwards as in making a hole but it doesn't work. Once i have these couple of questions answered, i can be on my way. I don't need a walk-through, just a couple tips on using the right tools/commands for the jobs in question.

So, can i stick a cube in that fountain above and cut out a hole, Dromed style, or is it done another way?
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:39.

You can indeed dismantle .bins, grab the 'free the objects kit' from DromedCentral. Not all .bins convert correctly though.

As for boolean operations (the equivalent of solid vs. air brushes), they're not implemented yet. They likely will be though, but at the moment, do it this way:

1. Select the object which you wish to carve a hole in.
    2. Build > Convert to Mesh.
    3. Go into Object/Point edit mode (the button).
    4. Click the Face Select button ().
    5. Click the face you want to make the cavity in.
    6. Select the Inset tool (). Use the tool to make a second smaller surface within the first.
    7. Use the Extrude tool () to lower the new surface into the object.

I've taken to mostly use point edit mode myself, as it gives me the ability to directly edit the polygons and surfaces.

Thanx very much MM but that didn't work because i was trying to make the top mesh go into the next mesh underneath and it wouldn't cut through the 2nd mesh. I eventually did it by dismantling the object and making it in parts, again!

I just learned that by selecting 2 faces, the top and bottom, and using the method you described, you can apply that to both sides at once! I was doing each side separately about 30 mins ago! (Made things much easier doing them both together!)

Still, all that stuff is to be expected when you are learning - You learn from your own mistakes!

I love this program man! I'm not missing Dromed just yet. I'm sticking to learning Anim8or for a bit!

PS. I'll post another screenie later on.

OK! I've got what i have done of my fountain, so far, in Thief 2.

I haven't learned the texture side of object creation yet so it's textureless, besides, the water function part of the object isn't in and neither is the water yet anyway! Still, after about 8 or 9 hours, roughly, learning Anim8or, i can't really complain!

I took the model design from this one in my FM... Once my new object is complete, i shall be replacing this one with the object, thus reducing poly counts.

After seeing the original size it was supposed to be, the model is twice the size! I am i right in thinking that "1" in Anim8or is "0.50" in Dromed then or are they the same? They appear to be the same actually - I think i just made the object a little too big!

As for Vhots, Schwaa has a tut for those on his Low Poly Guild site. I can't really go wrong now. I just need to learn the texturing side now and i'm off! WOOT!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:40.

One unit in anim8or is indeed one unit in dromed. However, for the sake of smooth texturing and the 3d viewport, I tend to make my models at 10 times the size, then just group everything (Edit > Select All and Build > Group) and scale it down (Edit > Scale > Scale Custom...) before exporting.

That's good to hear. It makes creating objects for Thief much easier. What a coincidence!

Thanx for that tip. I'll experiment with that when the fountain is complete. Do you do that though before you texture it?

A new discovery! I have just learned that you must locate your model at 0/0/0 in Anim8or before you save the final .3ds file else you will run into problems when flooring the object!
    Last edited by sluggs; 30th May 2004 at 18:17.

You're absolutely right, sluggs. 0;0;0; is the center of the scene. And if you move your object it won't be in the center. In fact, you insert the object as well as the surrounding space. In the beginning I made a key and placed it in DromEd and when I handle it, the key was rounding and rounding like a planet around the sun. 0;0;0; is also the turning point.
    Last edited by weadford; 30th May 2004 at 06:03.

Good work milord.
    Someday I may also learn zis tool of zee ancients zat is animator8.
    But for now, I shall keep on making zee textures... Yarrr.

-Alexius-

the mission is going better than ever..... good work sluggs !

Hell Sluggs, this is really impressive stuff!!

Huge thanx Comfy mate.

Hey! Something weird happened to me today! Yesterday i was browsing the web and found some photo's of this guy i wanted to look at, and guess what? I saw the chap today in my local Garage/Shop! It was John Evans - World Record holder for balancing stuff on his head! I found his website today, just after coming back from the Garage, and i added the link to my site.

You mean that John Evans works in a shop. That's cool. Why don't you ask him to show you some tricks.

No! He was there doing his Shopping!

That trolley of his was full to the brim, he must eat loads! (Thought i was bad!)

Good work sluggs.

I have tuts at LPG. mostly for 3d max but might give you ideas. Phantom's Anim8tor tut is there too. Plus all the tools needed to get 3ds files inbto Thief.

Texturing is probably the hardest part (good texturing) but has to be done BEFORE the model is exported.
    Low Poly Guild Low Poly Models for the Gaming Community
    Link should work now :)

The texturing process is indeed difficult but i have just made a test object and made a skin for it using UVMapper and PSP, and it fitted around the object perfectly! At this time though, the skin has lots of black edges around it and it looks nasty! Your tuts have helped me out alot too. I can't believe i've actually got this far! I guess if you want something bad enough...
    Last edited by sluggs; 29th May 2004 at 20:45.

Beginning to think maybe we need a 3D modelling forum here! Anyway...

I can't get Anim8or to load texture files. Well, I only tried a couple but both failed. The gif files are in the same folder as the 3DS file which imports OK but without the textures. I tried resaving the gifs as v87a and as non-interlaced, but there was no difference.

I admit I've not had time to study the docs in detail but am in a hurry if anyone can help or maybe someone can do this for me I'd be grateful. What I'm trying to do is take the basic flaska model, reduce it to about half size, flatten it to half its width on one side, colour it dark purple (so ultimately I'll want a different texture anyway) then produce TWO versions - one WITH the cork and the other WITHOUT the cork so the bottle is open.

I've done a routine in Dromed to remove the cork (ie, switch the two) but what I was doing as a quick fix was to have the cork transparent in one version. This worked reasonably well until I added particle fumes coming out of the open bottle and this somehow reveals the cork. Then I came across this thread and thought I'd give Anim8or a go. I'd love to - but I'm really pressed for time so always trying to cut corners. Hell, I don't even have time to finish writi...........................

3Ds2Bin rules!
    I've just downloaded this program. I like it.

@ Fidcal, i agree with you about having a 3D Object Creation Forum, after all, it's part of FM building. Any chance Mods?

As for textures, i'm having a real hard time figuring them out! It's OK making them with UV Mapper but how the heck do you convert one big 512x512 texture into small .gif files for Thief? This texture business has grinded my object creation to a halt! I've looked through some tuts but i'm still lost. There's always bloody something!

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567121722273237424752 ... LastLast