TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Shouldn't the grey part be using Phong shading?
    Or does Phong make it look wrong?

Oh Crap, it isn't using PHONG shading! F**k! Oh well, updating the .zip file yet again!

Thanx for bringing that up R Soul.

.zip updated with all new PHONG base!

Doing the same thing with bigcase.zip

All done!
    Last edited by sluggs; 9th Oct 2004 at 17:55.

What is the difference between different shading methods? I know it has been answered before, but since this is the correct thread...

Flat shading gives each polygon just one shading value, thus making the surface look flat. Phong shading on the other hand calculates the in-between values and gives the object a much smoother look.

Using Phong shading for Thief objects is a bit misleading, because with today's PCs it's not yet possible to calculate this kind of shading in real-time. Instead, Gouraud shading is applied, which is not as accurate as Phong, but much faster.

See this site for an explanation.

Or in 3d Studio Max terms, phong/gouraud shading is applied via Smoothing Groups.

- I don't know how this thread got to page 27, but I'm not reading 27 pages just to find out .

Quote Originally Posted by Dario
    - I don't know how this thread got to page 27, but I'm not reading 27 pages just to find out
    lol

Wow, never heard of phong/goraud, what odd names lol

-Looks like I should download that file just incase I make an FM someday, and wanna use that alarm light.

~SG

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that "phong/gouraud" is a 3d Studio Max term. It's not.

"Smoothing Groups" are the 3dsMax term for those types of shading... when you're getting the light to blend smoothly between polygons.

-

Edit: If I am correct, games like Doom3 with real-time lighting and shadows don't need smoothing groups, because all the lighting is applied via actual projected "light", and isn't just an illusion in which polygons are supposed to light themselves up.

I could be very wrong on this (please mention if I am), but that's how I think it is.
    Last edited by Dario; 12th Oct 2004 at 03:09.

If anyone could use a striplight, i've made one, for my Museum. I wasn't going to release it, as i don't think it's good enough, but someone may be able to use it.

I'm just releasing it as a .bin file...

STRIPL.BIN

BTW, the base doesn't have PHONG shading. (I did this because i prefer the model without it) The tube and the glass do tho'.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 25th Mar 2007 at 00:16.

@ sluggs

I'll sure use 'em! I was about to make those myself.

ZylonBane
    Edit: If I am correct, games like Doom3 with real-time lighting and shadows don't need smoothing groups, because all the lighting is applied via actual projected "light", and isn't just an illusion in which polygons are supposed to light themselves up.
    The entire point of phong/gouraud shading is to make object models appear smoother than they actually are. If you hand the most advanced, ray-traced, per-pixel renderer in the world a 30-poly model of a "sphere", you will get back a very pretty picture of an angular 30-sided object.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that "phong/gouraud" is a 3d Studio Max term. It's not.

"Smoothing Groups" are the 3dsMax term for those types of shading... when you're getting the light to blend smoothly between polygons.

-

I could be very wrong on this (please mention if I am), but that's how I think it is.
    Well, Smooth and Smoothing groups are a modifier in Max. They actually make the mesh render smooth instead of blocky polygons with sharp edges.

Smooth does the entire mesh and there are options on how to smooth it, you can also use MeshSmooth which actually adds polys to smooth the mesh, this is used for high poly modelling so you can make a basic model, then make it really smooth. Smooth doesn't require a certian type of material. Auto smooth will smooth the entire mesh, smoothing groups can be set for polys and poly-groups so that you can apply smooth to an entire mesh, but have different smooth settings for different parts of the mesh.

Phong and Guorand (?) are material types that render better than more basic materials. Not all renderers will do these types, Thief II uses Phong (at least LGS did on their meshes). It's more like the difference between .gif, .jpg...

Allow me to get this thread back on track...

My reskinnable bookcase pack is finally done.

There's a 1x2 and a 2x2 version of each. The five types are based on the victorian families VicMxx, so it should be simple to pick the right model based on the Victorian textures you're using. I may someday get around to doing ArtDeco versions of these, who knows.

Polys: 1x2 are 40, 2x2 are 57. Lower than I was expecting.

Besides the usual stuff, the pack also includes a preview mission file, and also some book textures by Dave Gurrea and a couple of new ones for the DEDx RamirezX family (split versions of case3.pcx, originally from T1) to make reskinning a little easier.

If I had time and cared enough, I'd redo the 2x2's over like I did the 1x2's, as I think they're built better... but I don't.

You can grab it from my website HERE - Schwaa, put it up at LPG whenever you have time.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    how do you set up reskinnable objects? i'd like to try to make some, really just to learn about it.

also, i'm going to try to build one of these cranes for my mission,http://www.lifting-world.co.uk/cranetypes.htm they would be useful for a lot of settings, we see cranes on the buildings of the city in the movies, but not the missions, GORT might find it useful for his mission set in the future, anyone building a mechanist mission would certainly benefit. and i thinking i can make the object simple enough. after seeing the objects in some newer games i wish i had that kind of polycount to work with.

Simple, you just grab the textures replace0-replace3.gif from obj.crf, and then use them lke any other texture in Anim8or.

Sluggs is yer flowerpot available on your site. I thort I had downloaded it but I can't find it. If not can I have a link.....please

You can grab it at the LPG here.

Rudyard
    All these new objects look great! Well done!

Since everybody’s really gotten into this (especially Sluggs!), I wonder if I could request some custom objects…? These are things I need for my FM. Two are Thiefish, and the other is completely out of place:

A teakettle
    A Teacup
    A revolver (!) - as in a pistol.

I’d be most grateful if anyone were willing to give these a try – and the revolver (should anyone be bold enough to try and make it) need not be highly detailed.

Edit: I noticed I just entered post #666. Har.

Nice bookcases Yandros! OMG, that reminds me, I don't have any links anymore. I need schwaa's, so it's good you mentioned that link for the flowerpot.

*Comes back from schwaa's site...* Omg, your main page is down incase you didn't know schwaa. (I mean the internal page)

~SG

Sneaksie, Yeah, I let my paid hosting run out, so the add took over the frames, I have to fix it, but the whole site needs redisigned now

I've been DLing everyones objs, sorry, I've been working n a morrowind mod and it's been eating all my time. I'll try and update soon, I'm geting behind quickly (slow down everyone!)

Oh ok. Oh yeah, if your reading this sluggs, update your website....
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

Bad, Bad, Bad, lots of Ads! I'll update my link soon. (Not that i'll be visiting much now, what with those ads and that damn Gain popup thingy!)
    Last edited by sluggs; 15th Oct 2004 at 21:11.

Yeah sorry man, nothing I can do about that... I think you will like some of the changes I have made to it though. (If you go look at it.)

~SG

Thanks for the bookcase packs, Yandros, I love good reskinnable objects.

That's a fine lamp, Sluggs, maybe you could make the glass transparent and the actual glass compartiment empty on the inside, so particle effects could be shoved inside? Lava lamp!

EDIT: Or if they already are, make the glass more transparent.
    Last edited by Thiefsie Fool; 17th Oct 2004 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyard
    All these new objects look great! Well done!

Since everybody’s really gotten into this (especially Sluggs!), I wonder if I could request some custom objects…? These are things I need for my FM. Two are Thiefish, and the other is completely out of place:

A teakettle
    A Teacup
    A revolver (!) - as in a pistol.

I’d be most grateful if anyone were willing to give these a try – and the revolver (should anyone be bold enough to try and make it) need not be highly detailed.
    I've started on a teapot for you... it's not low poly though. Is 425 too high for a little object like this?

I probably can save 100 by redoing the handle... it's too small anyway. And the spout is too long.

I'd advise in using a single polygon with appropriate transp. texture for the handle, removing the lid save for the ball (use texture instead), replace the ball with a diamond shape, and make the spout triangular (or pentangular if you're feeling generous). Should save you quite a few.

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 27121722232425262728293031323742475257 ... LastLast