TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38131823283334353637383940414243485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Has anyone tried the newest anim8or (v0.9 beta3)? Looks like it was released a while ago.

Nah, I don't think I have... What are some of the differences?

~SG

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    the new anim8or comes with some new extrusion tools for one, you can now extrude edges as well as faces.

Really. I better get it, then.

It also has a lot of different views like left, right, and bottom.

Jason, it seems to me that your bot is missing a face.
    There's just this black trapezoid in the front. How is it meant to see?
    (Or is there something inside that we can't see from this angle?)

Other than that, it looks pretty good!

in robocop the designers decieded that the bot was more frightening without a face, the trapezoid is the radiator grill, i intended to put some vhots on it to make steam come from the various grills on it. i agree, there is something disconcerting about not being able to see the eyes of the bot, although its unusual to us because we are used to an image of bots that we can identify with as human. even lgs made the combatbot humanoid, this is an attempt to get away from this idea. in ss2 the bots are more like this, without a face. as that i can't get mine through meshbld yet i'll likely substitute a ss2 bot in the meantime.

Gort, i finally got around to putting your tools into the game, heres a shot of the workshop area, you'll see it includes some custom textures and sluggs' strip lights. also, the tool boards are new objects, paintings basically, a 1 face object, when i resize them they don't hold the new size, they revert back to the default size very easily, when ever i move them or touch them.

Last edited by Ottoj55; 19th Dec 2004 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    basically, a 1 face object, when i resize them they don't hold the new size, they revert back to the default size very easily, when ever i move them or touch them.
    That's the problem with 2D objects, but there are a few tricks you can play to make them 3D without actually appearing 3D.

If you look at the cobwebs from Ominous Bequest you'll notice that they are flat, one-face objects but rotated slightly so that three dimensions are required to define their bounding box.
    The problem with rotating is that it's very difficult to resize them and then counter-rotate them to be parallel with the wall.
    I prefer to make two faces, both facing inwards (towards the middle of the BBox) with a small gap between them. Dromed doesn't render the back of a face, so.. I'm sure you get the idea...

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul
    I prefer to make two faces, both facing inwards (towards the middle of the BBox) with a small gap between them. Dromed doesn't render the back of a face, so.. I'm sure you get the idea...
    I think my tree-shaped cookie had that problem until I flipped the normals. I saw the top texture from below and the bottom texture from above, and the sides were transparent/missing. Speaking of which, I made the cookie using a reference image and by making a linear path outlining the cookie, which I then extruded. Is there any way in Anim8or to close the path before extruding? I just zoomed in very far and lined up the last point as close to the first one as I could, but I still had a sliver polygon.

Once you've created the path, double click it and select 'Closed'.
    Alternatively, just turn on grid snapping.

Duh... can't believe I didn't think of either one. Thanks.

@ Ottoj55

Cool! If you need a couple more tools or maybe some other objects, let me know.
    Right now I'm trying to remake a constantine model with a custom texture.
    Not have very much luck right now...

thanks r soul, that did it, just a second face a tiny amount away and it works now. i'll use this method for some other things too, some girly poster i'd like to do for in the submarine, things like this. something new today, some tanks of welding gas, and a corpse for it when blown up with a fire arrow. its got a bunch of exploding corpse links on it including bigfiredrops, exploding coronas etc. this thing really blows up nicely. the corpse is a nice touch i think

Last edited by Ottoj55; 22nd Dec 2004 at 02:19.

gort, a thought on the tools, you should use a common palette for all of them, i did this to them myself and it helps, nearly everyone was using a unique palette, with a common palette you get as good looking tools, and you save on the palette counts.

also, some new dirty toilets for my bathrooms, the tiles are max payne textures.

Last edited by Ottoj55; 24th Dec 2004 at 17:44.

Looking great, Jason... man, I can't WAIT to play this mission.

Question

How do I make something reskinable in anim8or? (with the txtrepl function, and sorry if this question was already asked)

Give the surfaces you want to be replaced a skin of "replace0.gif" (for TxtRepl r0), "replace1.gif" (for TxtRepl r1) etc.

Guys, isn't it about time this monstrous thread was branched? There's many useful tips in this thread about wrangling Anim8or which are getting buried amongst dozens of model appreciation posts which, while perfectly good, make it really hard to search for the aforementioned info. Especially since the forum search function only returns whole threads in which search terms appear, not the pages inside those threads.

we really should start an object creation faq for anim8or, perhaps something like the dromed faq.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil
    Especially since the forum search function only returns whole threads in which search terms appear, not the pages inside those threads.

I just found Search This Thread a few days ago, must be a recent addition, a great one too. <3 <3

Either that or we were both blind, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil
    Either that or we were both blind, TF
    Possibly, I have a hunch it came with the new layout, which was quite some time ago. D:

The welding tanks look great - and the toilet too. May I use them both in my T2 FM and/or in any SS2 project I might be working on?

Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38131823283334353637383940414243485358 ... LastLast