TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Whoa, whoa..... Please don't be mad! Yes, I realize that you said that about Fms, but I wasn't sure if you would mind about some dumb little demo mission, but now I see you don't mind.(thanx man)

As for the GBM model tut, NO! - You must start learning Anim8or using the Eggplant tut!
    Who says? You? What's wrong with trying it with the GBM?

Hey, i'm only trying to help you. If you want to start learning Anim8or the hard way, using the GBM creation tutorial then that's up to you, but don't expect to know much of the other various tools that you need to know about from using the GBM tutorial! The Eggplant tutorial is for Anim8or what KOMAG's tutorial is for Dromed. You really need to start with the Eggplant tutorial. I believe that tutorial was created by the dude who made Anim8or = Steve Glanville.

His own words...

I strongly suggest that you work through the Eggplant tutorial, especially if you are new to 3D modeling and animation. It is is designed to introduce you to the concepts of 3D modeling, and especially to how Anim8or modeling works.
    This Guy's a Genius! He came up with a fairly simple object, the Eggplant, that would need the various tools that are essential for creating your objects, to make, thus getting you on your way to creating your own stuff.

Do as you will.
    Last edited by sluggs; 31st May 2004 at 20:43.

Okay, okay, you win. I don't know if I ever will do this however. Not really that interested in the program at the moment......

That's OK Sneaksie. I was also posting that above for other taffers' to see, not just for yourself, who have the same idea as you. Heck, i'd want to know these things too.

I wouldn't fancy learning Dromed by starting with an objective creating tutorial!
    Last edited by sluggs; 31st May 2004 at 20:56.

Glad we could clear that up.

-HEy, way off topic, but have you noticed how every time you go to reply to a thread, the smilies positions change? Why?

Yes, i have noticed such mysterious goings on! The reason? These are no ordinary smilies, why these smilies, are alive! If we're not careful, they could take over the World!

If only we could use Blender and export to 3ds... such a nice program, Blender is...
    A Thief in the 30s, an original novel.
    QApacheConf, next generation Apache configuration editor (or not...).
    OEW - OpenEduWeb

Looks like a good program, looks nice too, but not very useful to us FM creators!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Yes, i have noticed such mysterious goings on! The reason? These are no ordinary smilies, why these smilies, are alive! If we're not careful, they could take over the World!
    Ha ha, your funny.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio5michalis
    If only we could use Blender and export to 3ds... such a nice program, Blender is...
    Blender? Never heard of it....
    BTW: How's it going antonio?

~SG

Update:

Well, i'm not having any luck texturing models i'm afraid! The last one i tried had white edges all around the texture! UV mapper is a pain, since i can't save textures no bigger than 256x256, the final texture maps are squashed down which makes the texture hard to edit. I'm sure i'll get there sometime! Until this setback, i was enjoying myself with Anim8or. I'm burned out now. I'm off to watch some Movies!
    Last edited by sluggs; 1st Jun 2004 at 21:48.

Yes...this will happen till you get use to the program. These are a begginer mistakes. It's Ok. You don't want to know how mad you'd be if you were using 3ds Max.
    Last edited by weadford; 2nd Jun 2004 at 12:33.

I'd recommend using plain textures - it's not really that hard. With the UV tool selected, left-click rotates, right click moves, and middle-click scales the texture plane.
    Just select every face that faces the same or the opposite way, and you'll be done in no time. At least if you stay away from cylinders and spheres.

That UV tool isn't very precise. It could take alot of adjusting with the mouse to align the textures. Also, how do you make the textures the correct size in the first place? Would be nice if there was a better way.

I did try the UV tool but the texture i tried was very stretched! I hope this isn't the way that other 3D creators do it because i was thinking about trying a different one. Anim8or is great until it's time to apply textures.

When texturing it can be useful to break the model down into smaller components, save each one in its own file and work one them on at a time. Then copy and paste each component back into the master file.

You'd break it down by deleting the points that the component doesn't use, then copy what's left, open a new file, and paste it in. For now you can close the master file, but don't save changes.
    You could even break down the component into its individual faces.

Note: When you copy and paste between files, the Material Names are remembered, so each time you add a new material, give it a unique name. It also remembers the image file names, but not the locations, so if you copy and paste, save then reopen, you'll have to find the textures again.

I'll have a go at doing that. Not long ago i found a little tut on selecting a face that had already been textured, copying that, rotating it and then pasting it onto another side of the object, deleting that side beforehand. This is really a time consuming process though. I can understand now why there aren't so many custom objects around. Heck, texturing a model is more difficult then making the model itself!

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    That UV tool isn't very precise. It could take alot of adjusting with the mouse to align the textures.
    If you're working on a 10x scale and zoomed in as good as it gets, it is precise enough. Any more precise than that, and you should be working on a different engine. Once you get used to it, even 16-sided cylinders won't take more than 10 minutes to tile perfectly.
    My only real grievance is that you don't have an option to not reset the alignment when you click the UV tool.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    slugss, i'm a bit confused about the various buttons and which ones do something. a while back i was working on simplifying a model that targa gave up on, perhaps we need a technical explanation of anim8or and its functions, becuase i don't fully understand it yet. the eggplant tutorial also confused me, i couldn't get the stalk to bend without pulling the base along with it forming a giant shark fin looking thing. grrrrrr, its a tricky little critter.

Otto, You should check out the Manual for descriptions on the buttons and what they do. http://www.anim8or.com/manual/index.html I didn't have any problems with the Warp Modifier tool to bend the stem myself. You have to make sure that it's only the stem that is selected and that it's a bit wider than the entire object, plus you have to make sure that when the tool is rotated, it doesn't lean into the base, or any other part of the object or that will get warped too. I didn't do it the first couple of tries myself. Also you may want to try other modelling tuts like modelling a head, to get yourself aquainted with even more tools and methods of building objects.

I'm going to give texturing a part of my fountain another go shortly. I have to do this! There's no point in making objects if i can't texture them! Thanx for the tips MM and everybody else - It is much appreciated.

soon, soon i'll have an object to show off, i hope, soon.

Me too i hope! And fully textured!

BTW, How have you got on with texturing Otto?

still learning object building, i'm just confused, i've looked at some models from lgs with the textures on, so i'm seeing bits of how its done, i need a tutorial when i reach that stage.

This site should help you alot... http://members.lycos.nl/jonim8or/pots_tut.html This method seems to be a great way of creating objects! Make sure you use the grid!

SUCCESS!

I managed to texture this test model!

I used Anim8or's UV tool to texture it. I'll let you know how i get on with other models.

Feel free to taff this object for use in your own FM's. It makes a nice cover for a hidden tunnel entrance! PLANT.ZIP (52KB)

[Screenshot updated!]
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:44.

Good work

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789141924293439444954 ... LastLast