TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 510152025303540455051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1546

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

I may as well post this here:

Object roof tutorial:
    http://whoopdedo.org/doku/dromed/objectroofs
    Includes suggestion about texturing.

In theory it should work in other object programs too.

Exactly 3 months later...

For anyone who's been having trouble creating a nice sphere, here's a good setting...

Lon/Lat
    Div Lon: 32 Lat: 16

Last edited by Sluggs; 25th Mar 2007 at 00:37.

New Ceiling Lamp

Hereīs a new Ceiling Lamp that i made! (i donīt think thereīs anof "highclass" lampīs out there!)

It will be uploaded at Jasonotto.net soon!.
    The glass texture is from Targaīs Crystal Plate
    Last edited by Nielsen74; 8th Mar 2007 at 05:54.

(i donīt think thereīs anof "highclass" lampīs out there!)
    You're right. I'll probably make a couple too and add them to my ever expanding gamesys!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 8th Mar 2007 at 06:47.

Cool, but hard to see on that very busy ceiling

Glass fonts!

Making a glass font...

First, download my environment textures, (which are Anim8or ready), from here then extract them ready for later. File also contains an .an8 example. (Thanks for the hosting, OttoJ55)

To create some text, goto object edit mode then click the text button then click anywhere on the screen to type. Once you have typed in some text you can double-click it to change the font/size.

When you're ready, select your text then goto Build and select Extrude then click OK Now goto Build then select Ungroup then Join Solids

Now we have our text, let's make it glassy!

Open up the material editor and click on Textures Click the Env. Map button then the Load Texture button. In the six boxes, point the program to the textures you downloaded earlier, placing each in it's correct place.

Once you've done that, click "OK"

Now you'll see a new texture appear underneath Checks called right: (cube-map) Use this texture and apply it to your text.

You'll notice that your new text isn't quite looking glassy, so double-click it, then in the Smooth Angle box, enter 180 and click OK

Just before you render an image, double-click on your new material and set the RBG colour to black, sliding the slider down to the bottom, then clicking OK This will reduce the glare and give you a realistic glassy look.

Now you've got a nice glassy font for your Thief mission titles or whatever!

Tip: Also try giving the material some transparency. A nice setting is 0.25

~ Sluggs
    Last edited by Sluggs; 25th Mar 2007 at 00:37.

Also using environment mapping, you can make a nice texture for a gem or other model, rendering the object and saving the image to create a texture with...

The Smooth Angle setting for this is 0.00 The higher this value, the more environment reflects in the model.

PS. I have included this model in the Environment package above.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 25th Mar 2007 at 00:38.

However much you think Dromed sucks, Filefactory sucks 10 times harder

I.e. it looks like a nice tutorial but I cannot download the textures:
    "Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server."

So I got the textures in an email - thanks Sluggs

Who'd have thought that those textures would combine to make a good glass texture?
    Last edited by R Soul; 12th Mar 2007 at 16:31.

Nice gem, would make a great tex.

I made some brick textures in max basically the same way.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    if anyone was interested i'll be getting to nielsen74's objects tomorrow, again, here to remind people as well that i will host objects or other resources for you if you can't find decent hosting.

I'm also happy to host other people's stuff, although since Jason has objects well covered, it might make sense for him to do that and I can focus on hosting unfinished missions.

The Glass font is a Great thing Sluggs, exactly when i need that !!! thank you

Might have another try at Anim8or. I'd like to get the basic know-how even if I don't get heavily into it. Is there a '"Start in Anim8or to Finished object in Thief Tutorial' sort of thing yet or just start over with the Anim8or manual?

Hang on, just re-found Low Poly Guild site and Sluggs crate tutorial. Might be just the thing. Is that the best way to get started? I'll try it. Anything else I ought to know?

You should start again here where many others have done, myself included.

You can also find my crate tut here and my book tut there! Both tuts are a little old now and can be done in better ways, but they'll help you along.

The hardest part is texturing your models, so don't expect to be texturing complex models just yet. Best make nice simple objects to start with.

Don't forget, there's the Anim8or forum too.

You can get the latest version of Anim8or here

Have fun!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 15th Mar 2007 at 14:12.

Thanks Slugss. Ah yes, I seem to remember the old eggplant. I'd better get cracking then. Well, the crate seems the easiest - nothing easier than a crate I shouldn't think. Then I'll need to get it into Dromed. This thread really needs a FAQ or Essentials doc and/or link list at the start for beginners IMO.

More work for Sluggs

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal
    This thread really needs a FAQ or Essentials doc and/or link list at the start for beginners IMO.
    Well that would be up to Sluggs to do, as it was him that startde this mess but i think your right!

It's not a bad idea. I'll go through all the pages soon and put all the tuts and essentials links on the main page.

First thing I'm going to do is get all my old screenies back and put them in my PhotoBucket album.

Phew, done! All my old pics are back now!

LOL!

http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83285&page=52

My first textured model!

I've just saved this entire thread! You can download the whole thing, up to this post, from here! 17mb
    Last edited by Sluggs; 19th Jun 2007 at 01:29. Reason: Fixed link

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
    For anyone who's been having trouble creating a nice sphere, here's a good setting...

Lon/Lat
    Div Lon: 32 Lat: 16

[snipped]
    I'd rather use the geodesic subdivision, since it doesn't waste all those tiny polygons around the poles. 6 geodesic subdivisions have the same amount of polygons as 24 longitudal times 12 latitudal ones. You be the judge.

Oh, and that gemstone is awesome by the way.

Herīs a pail on rope for the well

I've made a tutorial for creating the gemstone. You can download the offline version from here and you can view the online version here

Special thanks to Sage for the hosting.

On the subject of tutorials, you should check the ones out on this site, as they are rather helpful.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 29th Mar 2007 at 22:27.

This has surely been said before - and not only once, I guess - but I can't seem to find it now: How to adjust the objects' sizes in Anim8or so they fit in DromEd?

Usually, when I build an object it turns out to be rather gigantic in both file- and physical size in the editor. Shrinking it on suspicion solves this after a few tries but it'd be nice if one of the experienced modellers out here had a hint on how DromEd units translate to Anim8or, so I can apply these in the first place.

The units are the same in Anim8or as they are in Dromed.

The best thing to do is to work big in Anim8or, then scale it in Dromed until it's the right size, then go back in Anim8or and scale it down to the same value you scaled it in Dromed.

So, if you scaled the object down in Dromed to (x) = 0.03 (y) = 0.03 (z) = 0.03 then in Anim8or, scale it to 0.03 then re-export it.

I have an AI object (converted from the .e file) that I can use to compare the size of whatever I'm creating. That saves having to export it to Dromed twice.

You can then just the Scale feature and resize it until it looks right.

That's clever, Robin. I usually do what Sluggs described, except I always try to plan ahead and use a 10x scale factor, and I also scale it down in 3ds2bin when I convert, instead of Anim8or.

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 510152025303540455051525354555657585960 ... LastLast