TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7121722273237424752535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1546

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

Have you tried setting it to work in Windows XP SP2 mode? Some others were having problems with Anim8or in Vista, in the forums. You might also try the latest version, which also includes new UV mapping features.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 27th Aug 2007 at 23:48.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    might as well upgrade then, its quite frustrating to not be able to build a simple object.

@ Sluggs, thanks for the help and encouragement. I found a Worm tutorial and managed that even if the poor thing looks a little bug-eyed.

I've gone back to the eggplant and made a lot more progress but am stuck where others seem to have had some trouble and that's with the bendy bit. The stem bends OK and looks OK but the bottom of the bend becomes disjointed from the bottom bit of the plant. I've tried about 30 times now.

I know I ought to be able to do it by following the tutorial exactly, but I don't seem to be able to. I'd be happy with just one bend! If any of you who had trouble with the bend and resolved it see this, I'd appreciate it if you could remember what steps you might have taken that are not explicit in the tutorial. I would really like to get this one finished and then get back to Dromed.

And if anyone is writing beginners tutorials and would like them to be idiot-proof, you're welcome to run them by me first.

Well I've successfully bent the stalk of an apple now but can't do the darned eggplant.
    Last edited by nickie; 15th Nov 2007 at 08:56.

1403rd post

Wow, this thread is almost long enough to deserve its own subforum.

I'm currently making a horsey Weather Vane...

I'm using a reference image to build my model from. Although it would be much simpler to just use a texture, I'd rather create a model from an image, then use that model to make a texture when needed, besides, that image I used for reference is copyrighted!

Test shot...

Tadaaa! (High poly version for making the texture)

Render of the model...

Feel free to taff this image!

Texture...

Feel free to taff this image!

To make the light outline, in Paint Shop Pro, I used Edge Effects/Enhance More
    Last edited by Sluggs; 21st Dec 2007 at 09:55.

Sluggs are you all right ?

what should be the pourpose for that thing ?? for thief ? for what ?
    i don't understand...
    Last edited by sterlino; 11th Dec 2007 at 09:05.

You probably missed that he said it's a weather vane.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    You probably missed that he said it's a weather vane.
    ahh... now it's clear

I'm wondering why you made a render, alpha channel maybe? nice vane btw

I doubt it would be good for thief but I made an axe in anim8or
    (I stole the textures from my obj/txt16 folder)
    lord hammerarse's manor, The Suffer Catalyst
    The city spreads fever-60%on hold Chasm of the undead-40%on hold The last creak of the gear-2%priority

Some really useful video tutorials...

Anim8or and Lithunwrap

Seamless textures in Anim8or

Model 3D text in Anim8or

Model a low poly heli in Anim8or

All tutorials were taken from this site.

Trying to get the hang of making AIs...

Well, I've did some fooling around with anim8or and I think I'm getting the hang of creating AIs from it. Here's a pic of a rock AI in anim8or.

And here's two pics in Thief 2. It's currently using the treebeast's actions.

I had to give it a time warp of 1.25 because it was too fast.
    I'll try to figure out some more AIs to create.

Awesome! He's a lot like those in Arx Fatalis!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 21st Dec 2007 at 11:14.

it looks very interesting GORT... go on !

Clearinghouse
    Coool.

Nice, fun messing with all those joint planes eh?

A jug and a pot:

The jug needs a better texture. The current one is just one of the early Google Image results for "ceramic". Texturing the handle was very hard. I used LithUnwrap to sort out the UV mapping, and it was a struggle but I got there in the end.

The metal texture on the pot is from the Enhancement Pack, and the wood is from the stock resources.

And I know that Wings3d has suddenly become very fashionable but I know how to do most things in Anim8or whereas with Wings, I'd have to go and learn all over again.
    Last edited by R Soul; 30th Dec 2007 at 20:48.

Those are very good R Soul!

Because it can be very difficult to texture in Anim8or, (I always had to break my models up and texture each face seperately), you should seriously try out AccuTrans 3D That program is amazing, and will take all that hard work away from texturing in Anim8or! As much as I love Anim8or, it's UV mapping part does suck monkey balls! I guess you can't have everything!

No need to split your model up in AccuTrans 3D, like you would do with UV Mapper. I used AccuTrans 3D to UV map my arcade machine cabinets, then I did the rest with Anim8or.

Go try it out dude! Export your model to .obj format, load it into AccuTrans 3D, select Tools/Create UV Coordinates, and select either Planar, Cylindrical or Spherical UV mapping. You can adjust the texture by holding your mouse button on one of the Texture Transform buttons, and dragging it around, or you can just enter the values in. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll ask yourself why you never tried it before!

It can also turn triangles into quads, and vice versa. It can reduce poly counts, and if your model has multiple textures applied to it, AccuTrans 3D will break your model up, so you can select each part and UV map them seperately, or you can go to Tools/Merge All Layers and that will create a single object, like you'd select all your parts in Anim8or, then go to Build/Join Solids.

AccuTrans 3D isn't actually free, but it doesn't have any restrictions. You're asked to delete the program after 30 days if you don't purchase it. It's an awesome program, and is definately worth the $20.00 asking price.

Just try it's UV mapper R Soul, you won't regret it!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 30th Dec 2007 at 22:37.

I've had a look at that but so far I'm unconvinced. For a start where is Undo/Redo?

Say I have this:

It's an 8-sided N-Gon, extruded along a path, thus is has no default UV coordinates. I used AccuTrans to put on a planar map, and the texture has all the arrows and lines so I can see when it's aligned properly.

But that mapping isn't what I want, nor is cylindrical or spherical. How can I tell AccuTrans that this is a cylinder that has been bent/twisted so that it can get the UV mapping right? What I'd like is something like this:

This is the handle of the jug in my previous post. Note how the texture follows the curve of the handle (as seen by the yellow line).
    I know about the missing poly - this is an unfinished version

To do that, I split it up into sections and cylindrically mapped each one in LithUnrwap, dragging the vertices to the corners of the texture, then saved each one. With each section in the same anim8or file (but each as a separate mesh) I exported back to LithUnwrap and used the Group feature* to move each section up so that they all followed on from each other, then rescaled it vertically so that the whole thing fitted into the texture.

What's the equivalent in AccuTrans?

*As I learned from one of those helpful tutorials you posted.

Not sure if it'll help but as I don't know Anim8or.

I usually map stuff like that by making a cylinder, cylindrical mapping it, the bending it or using path deform. Not sure if you can do that.

That can be done using modifiers:

But with several different curves it's quite hard to get all the angles right (the radius is altered by the position of the modifier relative to the model). While the modifier is like in the screenshot, the angle can be changed, but for another modifier to be tested, the previous one has to be merged with the model. So only one angle/position can be tested at a time.

I've hacked some stuff that way too. Bend the first angle, detach the polys, bend the second angle, detach polys, bend again.

Then realign segments and weld the verts. Slight pain but it works.

I've gotten lazy in my uv mapping and usually try to split models up into easy to map parts. Align thier uvs so they don't overlap. Reconnet all pieces and give a final uv mapping tweak to fill up the space as best as possible.

Would it be possible to import/copy a lot of AIs (meaning, like, around 400) into Anim8or and join them together to one single object? It doesn't matter if they loose detail for they'll stay in mere darkness and not appear extensively. I don't want them to be AIs either, just a crowd you can't reach anyway.
    Extra: Would it be possible to animate the crowd despite that? Make them wave their arms at you, some of them jump up, in a looping pattern - what is the difference to a moving grandfather clock and how much more difficult could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Vogelfrei View Post
    Would it be possible to import/copy a lot of AIs (meaning, like, around 400) into Anim8or and join them together to one single object? It doesn't matter if they loose detail for they'll stay in mere darkness and not appear extensively. I don't want them to be AIs either, just a crowd you can't reach anyway.
    Extra: Would it be possible to animate the crowd despite that? Make them wave their arms at you, some of them jump up, in a looping pattern - what is the difference to a moving grandfather clock and how much more difficult could it be?
    this is the most dangerous thing i ever heard until now.. please don't do it...or you will cause an infarct to Dromed !
    Why don't you try to create a lot of conversations in game instead ? It would be more simple.
    But Honestly i thing that 400 is really too much...
    Or may be you can create some fake AI models with only arms moving and jumping... but i'm not sure about a good result..
    Better if those people model would be a 2 dimensions model... a lot of less work..

at what distance they would be visible by the player ? it is important to know that before beginin with every approach to the problem.

Thanks for the warning. =D

Creating a crowdy atmosphere through sounds won't do, those people have to be visible. I was almost sure that so many would be too many, although DromEd did surprisingly not jump in my face when I tried around 50 AIs on it (made the game a bit slow, though, and some of them sometimes vanish, the usual stuff).

2D might actually be a workaround. Haven't thought of that. I can't quite imagine how it will look like, at the moment, have 2D-objects been used in a mission yet?
    The player will see them from the front, a litthe above the crowd. He won't be able to get near or walk around them but might get exactly behind them at some times. Even an animated "crowd"-texture looks, well, not all too bad. If all fails, I'll stick with it, do some editing and try to sweep the rest under the rug. But right now it has only four frames and does not really fit into a thievy setting, so I'm thinking of something else.

Also, I don't exactly care for DromEd's health anymore since what it did to mine. Too bad they might be intersected in this particular case.

Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7121722273237424752535455565758596061 ... LastLast