TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 91419242934394449545556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1546

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

jtr7
    The TDS Clock Tower only has eight hours, as well.

Then that texture I found was more than perfect ... it was ... DESTINY!

I'm trying to create chandeliers for my mission. Every flame is a light source; the chandelier itself is not. Everything is OK, but suddenly I noticed one strange thing: some surfaces of the chandelier is completely dark (except ambient light). I can't understand why. Moving flames I can make these surfaces to look properly, but another surfaces get dark instead.
    I tried Raycast and Objcast, I tried to light them with completely another source of light. Nothing helps. I presume something is wrong with my chandelier models (I made some of them, and each has such a problem).
    I know almost nothing about Anim8or, but when I looked at some other lamp models in Anim8or (from CoSaS pack, for example), I saw a small red square in every model named like "@hMYNAME". I know this thing is called "vhot point", and I noticed that in non-symmetrical lamps the side with that "vhot" is brighter in game, when the light is on.
    I'm not sure if there is any relation between vhot points and my problem, but it's the only clue I have. Who can explain:
    1 - what is "Vhot point",
    2 - how to create it in Anim8or and
    3 - how it can help to lit the object proprely?

1. If the object has has one of the Light properties, the light will be emitted from vhot #1 (called @h01 something in the object editing prgram). If you want to attach particles to an object, you can also refer to vhot numbers.

2. Just make a cube, convert to mesh, and double click to set the name. The exact size/shape isn't important. Nor is the colour.

3. See 1.

4. If you're using NV's 3ds -> bin program, you can easily set the ILLUM property for certain materials. Two materials can both use the same texture. ILLUM can also be set manually be editing the .e file before converting to .bin.

e.g.
    2,"Material1",PHONG,TMAP "RUSTLGHB.GIF",0,TRANSP 0,ILLUM 100;

Did you see this thread? In it I eventually figure out how to light up the chandellier object. There are easier ways, using Extinguishable, I've since found, but this works. And it should get you started understanding it all.

Yes, I read this thread. And now I know that VHOT is not an answer to my question.
    This is the problem:

Every flame is a light source. Why some of candles tops don't lit?
    Maybe it's wrong thread. I don't know yet.
    The worst I can't illuminate their tops because flames are extinguishable.
    I noticed that the extra source of light situated far enough from the chadelier can light problem surfaces, but I can't see any reason to place hanging lamp under the chandelier. And flame light offset seems don't work with acceptable values.
    Any suggestions? Maybe it will be better to leave as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    ... You could just set up an extinguishable chandelier (assuming it has vhots) by simply giving it the Exstinguishable script, three ParticleAttached flames, and AnimLight instead of Light. Give the AnimLight an offset so that it comes from above the chandelier.
    The lighting will be slightly less accurate this way (since the chandelier and not the flames are its source), but think of the two AnimLights you're saving. (There's an AnimLight limit IIRC).
    NV's suggested approach would not totally fix your problem, but it might help to offset the AnimLight upwards. And it only needs one AnimLight to work.

Yes, it solves problem for small chandeliers, but not for huge. It looks stupid, when 1 water arrow turns off all 6 candles in chandelier which is 12 feet in diameter.
    Later.
    Vhot doesn't work in my animated lamp.
    I create cube, convert it to mesh, THEN renamed to @hvhot01.
    Moved it from the center to light front side of a lamp.
    Placed model in Thief, changed model, relighted in Raycast. No effect! The lamp shines direct from it's center. AnimLight offset works, but vhot don't. What I did wrong?
    Last edited by Zontik; 12th Mar 2009 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    1. If the object has has one of the Light properties, the light will be emitted from vhot #1 (called @h01 something in the object editing prgram).
    I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    Should be @h01 (or possibly @h00).

How many vhots can an object have? I've used up to three with no problems (@h00, @h01, and @h02), but I've not tried more. Can you have six?

I saw in some others' models (by Dark Arrow and by CoSaS team) the following names of vhots:
    @hLight01
    @hLight02
    @h(somethingelse)01
    @h(somethingelse)02
    And THESE vhots DO work!
    I don't understand something important... and probably stupid.
    Well, I'll try @h00 and @h01. Just to know truth.
    LarryG, at a moment I have 1 (one) vhot in the table lamp and no vhots in chandelier (flames are just aligned, not attached). Problems appear faster than I solve them!

I saw in some others' models (by Dark Arrow and by CoSaS team) the following names of vhots:
    @hLight01
    @hLight02
    @h(somethingelse)01
    @h(somethingelse)02
    And THESE vhots DO work!
    I don't understand something important... and probably stupid.
    Well, I'll try @h00 and @h01. Just to know truth.
    LarryG, at a moment I have 1 (one) vhot in the table lamp and no vhots in chandelier (flames are just aligned, not attached). Problems appear faster than I solve them!
    From all the documentation I've read, a vhot needs to be named @hnnoooooo where nn is a two digit number and oooooo is an optional identifier refering back to the name of the base object. I don't think @hLight01 should work, but @h01Light would. Check out the tutorial on Axes and vHots at the Low Poly Guild (CompleteAxlesTut.zip).
    Last edited by LarryG; 12th Mar 2009 at 10:59.

If there is a base object but no sub objects it's quite acceptable to name the vhots @h01, @h02 etc.

I also think it's the case that when a vhot mentions a mesh name, it's only the first two letters which are considered. So if the base object is called object1 and the subobject called object2, bsp might not know to which mesh the vhot belongs to.

In the above illustration,

• the base object is Object0
    • the axel for both handles is @x00ob2500, the ob is to relate it to the base object by using the 1st 2 characters of the base object's name
    • the 1st handle is a sub-object named @s00bb, the 00 relates it to the axel @x00ob2500 by using the axel's ordinal number, 00
    • the 2nd handle is a sub-object named @s00cc
    • The 1st vhot is named @h02object0, the object0 relates it back to the base object (could only ob have been used?) (Is it related to the base object so that the vhot moves with the base object and not with the sub-object?)
    • The 2nd vhot is named @h03object0 for similar reasons

If you wanted the vhot @h02object0 to move with a handle sub-object, you would replace the object0 with, say, bb, making it @h02bb. Is that right?

There's one way to find out. Make a door. The proportions need not be sensible, as long as the axle and handles are named correctly. Place a vhot away from the axle (e.g. in that screenshot the yellow one can be moved to the left), and tell it to refer to the handle sub object.

In Dromed, create a particle attachment referring to that vhot. Configure the door to respond to lockpicking and see if the particle moves as the handle rotates. Or create and activate a Joints tweq property.

This is my attempt to have a vhot move on a translating sub-object:

Anim8or's Join Solids was used to merge the candle to the music stand tray as a single sub-object.

In DromEd I have on the music stand:

Renderer>AnimLight ...
    Tweq>ModelState: {On; [None]; 0; 0}
    Tweq>Models: {Continue; No Limit; Anchor, Random; Jitter Hi; 125; ...}
    Scripts: {Extinguishable; Animlight; ; ; False}
    Links>~ParticleAttachement: CandleFlame with Data: {Vhot; 1; N/A; 0}
    Shape>Joint Positions: {0.00; 0.00; 0.00; 0.00; 0.00; 0.00}

This is my result:

Grrrr!

Now why the flame is where it is, is beyond me. But it certainly does not seem to be attached to my sub-object's vhot. So either I did something(s) wrong (quite likely) or putting a vhot on a sub-object just is not possible and it has to be on the base object. Thoughts?

Oh ... when I move the joint to 1.75, the flame stays put:

Renaming the vhot to @h01ms places the flame in the correct position when the joint is at 0.00, but, of course, it does not follow the candle when the joint is changed, to 1.75, say.

Based on this experiment, I think that putting a vhot on a sub-object is not supported.
    Last edited by LarryG; 12th Mar 2009 at 13:37.

It doubt you did anything wrong. In the Particle Launch Info property (of the SFX) are box min and box max values, which determine where, relative to the location coordinates, the particles can be created. If all values are 0, all particles start in the centre. If X is 1 for min and max, all particles will start 1 foot to the south.

If X min is -1 and X max is 1, the particles will start anywhere between.

So, you could make the vhot refer to the base object, and set the min & max box values for Z to be equal to the value of the joint position.

I haven't tried that, so it's just an educated guess. I'm note sure of the light would follow the particle launch location or the location of the bounding box.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    ... So, you could make the vhot refer to the base object, and set the min & max box values for Z to be equal to the value of the joint position.

I haven't tried that, so it's just an educated guess. I'm note sure of the light would follow the particle launch location or the location of the bounding box.
    I just tried it. The flame now can be made to follow the candle wick. And by adjusting the Z value for the Animlight similarly, the light can be made to follow as well. A little adjustment to the light and it should be OK. Thanks.

Yeah, I never had any luck attaching things to a sub object myself. Tried particles and objects.

While you can actually attach to a sub object it won't move with it.

Probably because the vhot and sub objects both start with @. So Dromed thinks they both belong to base no matter what.
    -----------

I wonder though LarryG,

If you named the vhot
    @h01s00tray

That would be a full path to the tray itself. @h01tr might be trunciating to @h01 which belongs to the main obj. But if you add the full name it might find the tray. Not sure if it would work or not.
    --------------
    just in case anyone was wondering.
    The door doesn't have a sub-object 01 because that is reserved for the lock slot, like chests.
    Last edited by Schwaa2; 13th Mar 2009 at 13:19.

Yes, it solves problem for small chandeliers, but not for huge. It looks stupid, when 1 water arrow turns off all 6 candles in chandelier which is 12 feet in diameter.
    Later.
    Vhot doesn't work in my animated lamp.
    Moved it from the center to light front side of a lamp.
    Placed model in Thief, changed model, relighted in Raycast. No effect! The lamp shines direct from it's center. AnimLight offset works, but vhot don't. What I did wrong?
    I just read in Schwaa's tutorial on Vhots and Axels that "Maximum number of VHOT's per object is 3." Have you been able to get 6 Vhots working on your chandellier?

I haven't try. I can't even deal with 1 vhot yet...
    Anyway, I won't. Every flame is independent. It's easier to attach them manually in DromEd (depends on my Anim8or's skill).

One more question...
    Please explain how to create an axle. I know that something becomes axle when you change its name to proper (@x or z 00 .... etc). But what kind of object I should create first? Primitive? Mesh? Line?
    Tried to find axle in OM's stuff, but it seems that their axles are completely non-material. I can move them, but can't change name, position (by coordinates) or any else. Or it's just a mesh with zero size?

In Anim8or I use two points with a line between them. I name the line, and the points pick up the name from the line. I believe though that only the points are necessary. In other programs you may need to create a triangle and then in the e-file delete the extra point.

When you say line, you mean 'edge' (term from A8's tutorial)?
    And... don't laugh at me, but HOW to create A POINT??? Or you just make a cube, convert it into mesh and delete almost all points?

That'll do. To save time I have an axle object that I import when I need one. I then move the points to where I need them to be and rename the "edge" / "line". I think it saves me time. Maybe not. My first may have been from a cube or from an OEM object where I deleted everything else. I don't recall. Wire view is your friend!

Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 91419242934394449545556575859606162 LastLast