TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

the light bit looks like it should be smaller than it is compared to the 'trunk' of the lamp. Or Vice versa.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll turn out great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal
    I must read the instructions one day... But not today.
    I haven't read the instructions very thoroughly either, so that one used to (and still does) catch me pretty off-guard too

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    the light bit looks like it should be smaller than it is compared to the 'trunk' of the lamp. Or Vice versa.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll turn out great again.
    Hmmm, after looking at it again i think you might be right. I'll have to see what it looks likes in-game first before i go changing it. Well i tested another version of it and that looked fine, apart from the base, which didn't look right for a street light. I guess using the one with the bigger shade wouldn't have been right. All i have to do now is redo the base and texture it. Oh, and add a VHot to the shade for attaching particles to. I'll see if it looks good with translucent glass too.
    Last edited by sluggs; 13th Jun 2004 at 17:48.

Sluggs you are a one man factory! Do you ever sleep????

PS. Keep them objects coming.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That model's going to rock with some good texturing, sluggs.

That's where i'm gonna fail! I'm going to have to see what i can find on the web to make the post texture.

You'd be surprised at how good the original object textures can look, and for each original texture you use you can reduce the number of files you need to distribute with the FM.

I have a couple of models I could upload put they have some problems.

The first is a new banner with changable banner texture. Is it true that if you use the Replace0.gif texture you have to use the thief1 palette? It makes some ugly banners.

The second one is this:

Tell me what animal that is supposed to be. If you can figure it out, I have succeeded and I can make some other models to make it look like it's moving and then upload it to my site.

A squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
    Is it true that if you use the Replace0.gif texture you have to use the thief1 palette?
    Only if you use an object texture.

You can put terrain textures on them as well, that's how the secret doors in Gervasius's mansion were done. The only palette limit is the one that terrain textures already have (ie needs to match full.pcx).
    If a terrain texture is used, it also has be on at least one face of a terrain brush so it will stay in the levels texture palette.
    Last edited by R Soul; 14th Jun 2004 at 15:16.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Nice squirrel, DA! In the U.S. at least, most squirrels have tails lighter in color than the rest of their body, for what it's worth. That will be fun to use once you have the full set of models and motions...

Speaking of animals, since T3 has cats, does that mean larger quadripeds like horses are possible if we ever get an editor? I thought the motions and behaviors on the T3 felines weren't particularly good, but we could always improve them.

It's a Kangaroo!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
    Tell me what animal that is supposed to be. If you can figure it out, I have succeeded and I can make some other models to make it look like it's moving and then upload it to my site.
    Well I WAS going to say a squirrel, but then I noticed the razor-tipped tail. So... I'm changing my answer to, "Not Of This Earth".

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    here in wisconsin squirrels are grey-brown with grey tails, in oklahoma where i went to school they are more reddish as a result of the red dirt.

After hours of experimenting and testing various model designs in Dromed, i decided on this one...

Phew! I just couldn't find the right design! I will complete this street light and another version of it with 2 lamps. I must have rebuilt this one about 8 times!

Oh, it looks the way it does in the screenie because it has no textures yet and lit_obj_toggle is enabled. I popped the Servant under it to give you a sense of scale.

[EDIT]Arrgh! I might even just remove the curvy part and stick the friggin' lamp on the top of the post or make 3 or more versions of it![/EDIT]

Nearly done!

I tried sticking the lamp on the top of the post but i didn't like it. I just have to fix the Vhot and experiment with transparancy settings. (Just setting the lamp glass to 10 was too much!)

[EDIT]Vhot & Transparency fixed. A new street light coming soon.[/EDIT]

Arrrgh! Moi Vhot's not working! The SFX doesn't attach to it! Ah, i think i know what's wrong! The whole object must have the same name as the Vhot! *Goes to fix it*

That wasn't the problem. In fact there wasn't one with the model it's just that the SFX didn't want to attach to the Vhot! I got it working by clicking on the reverse link, from the object, and changing it from there and not from the original forwards link. It works now but you can't see the flames through the glass! *Sniff* Oh well, we'll just have to have a lightsource attached to the Vhot and not an SFX!

Actually, you can attach an SFX to it but you will only see the top of it coming out of the shade as in this piccie...

Might as well make the glass non transparent. Darn it!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:48.

FINISHED!

Look at all the little shadows the glass is casting!

All i have to do now is complete the readme file, which i'm doing now, zip it up and then add it to my site. I'll update this post once it's up.

Update: IT'S UP! Please refresh your browser else you won't be able to find it! BTW, the little ugly shadows can be removed easily enough, mentioned in the readme file.

I'm going to have to make a page on my site for all these models i'm spawning! I have 3 others that are finished but they are just window frames for my frame pack which i'll get back to soon.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:49.

Sluggs now you are a Master !

Well i, i wouldn't go that far!

ZylonBane
    Very nice-looking model, but why is it designed like that? Having a light branch off like that makes sense when you have multiple light fixtures attached to the same post, but when you don't... it doesn't. Make sense, that is. That join looks like it's just waiting to snap off, with a perfectly serviceable flat spot atop the post begging to be used instead.

Have you done any research on actual historical street lamps? No point in reinventing the wheel, after all. For example, check out this bad boy:

"Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

*Sluggs uproots his new light and sends to the nearest smeltor*

I'll do better next time!

ZylonBane
    LOL.

This thread does have me interested in learning Anim8or though. For some reason the whole idea of picking up a 3D package has always given me the willies, but this looks like something I might actually be able to handle.

How's this one?

Will be added to my site very soon.

IT'S UP!

Here's another version, with a sign!

Hey sluggs, what happened to the curvy lamp? Looks like it got the bends *LOL* . Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    The shadows and the mind are one in the same; both hold all the secrets in the world.

It was a gang of vicious Noble's. They didn't like the new lighting...

Last edited by sluggs; 16th Jun 2004 at 05:33.

......INTERSTING !!!

.....could be after hitted by a bomb or someting like that ??

Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257 ... LastLast