TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

ZylonBane
    On the drive into work today, I actually saw a street lamp that was very much like the curvy one, except that it curved up instead of down (with light hanging down, 'natch), and had two lights, mounted on opposite sides of the post.

Enough of my objects! Anyone else working on some new models? How are you getting on Fidcal & Otto?

'nother one!

This one will be on my site soon...

I'm rolling them out!

IT'S UP!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Enough of my objects! Anyone else working on some new models?
    Occasionally.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Crap MM, that's cool. But what's the poly count with the detail so high like that?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    'nother one!

I'm rolling them out!

IT'S UP!
    I really like this light for some reason... keep 'em coming sluggsy!

Thanx very much Yandros. I'll keep making them! Anim8or is addictive, just like Dromed!

Hey sluggs,

Could you take a crack at making a lamp post as similar as possible to the one I made? I'm not sure about the whole concept of what makes more polies and what doesn't.

Also, how would you make a hanging lantern in anim8or like the ones in Thief, that is, without the whole thing lighting up? I'm thinking of making my own hanging lantern to go with my lamp post.

I would really need the lamp post to sell the "wind" effect in the FM I want to make. If you can't, I understand .
    The shadows and the mind are one in the same; both hold all the secrets in the world.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i haven't had time to tackle an objects, anim8or is tougher than expected, i'll likely wait until i get my mission ready for a beta test then take a break and build some objects.

i'm looking at mechanical things for a planned mission, so i've been collecting ideas. i want to build a nice looking full size train engine and some various cars, tankers, flatbeds, i want some new transformers and a lot of new plumbing, thats just to start.

i've been reading the tutorials and have trouble adapting from the thief portal system to a system of build a primative, extrude, pull, bend, hard to understand right now.

i'll get there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    Crap MM, that's cool. But what's the poly count with the detail so high like that?
    Thanks. It's 60 odd polys, But I can probably reduce it to 40 something.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri
    Hey sluggs,

Could you take a crack at making a lamp post as similar as possible to the one I made? I'm not sure about the whole concept of what makes more polies and what doesn't.

Also, how would you make a hanging lantern in anim8or like the ones in Thief, that is, without the whole thing lighting up? I'm thinking of making my own hanging lantern to go with my lamp post.

I would really need the lamp post to sell the "wind" effect in the FM I want to make. If you can't, I understand .
    I'll make you one, probably with the lamp attached too. Thing is, i have had a few model requests already, and i have to Beta a new FM that will be out soon. It's all work, work, work!

If you aren't in a rush for it, i can do it for you. I haven't done any jointed stuff as yet but i'm sure it isn't that difficult to suss out.

41, actually.
    Only the wingtips are now doublesided, so shadowcasting is broken, and you shouldn't look at the model from above. Hardly worth the 20 odd polys saved.

Will try some clearer textures now.

That reminds me of Eshaktaar's Facelite object.

Last edited by sluggs; 18th Jun 2004 at 10:10.

ZylonBane
    I want a pony.

HUAHAHAHAH...........roftlol.....

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    I want a pony.
    Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:50.

Uh-oh, looks like someone's been taffing around in my 'My Little Pony' collection cabinet.

The infra red obviously is no match for Sluggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar
    Good work everyone! Speaking of lamps, I made a few new models for my next FM. Here's a closeup of a desk lamp:

Looks alot like this one i just found...

Last edited by Sluggs; 24th Mar 2007 at 23:51.

Yes, it's the classic "banker lamp". You'll find a lot of them when image googling.

ZylonBane
    That lamp is an excellent model, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it in an FM. It's such a distinctive design that it's clearly an artifact of our world, not the Thief world. It would be like finding the Mona Lisa hanging over someone's desk.

Agreed, it might be a bit too recognizable. I wanted to have something "modern" in the mission to show the transition from T1 closer to the Metal Age (where my FM takes place). Maybe I'll make some design changes.

ZylonBane
    How about just replacing the pull chain with a push-button on the base, and changing the color of the hood?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    texturing? the tutorial at anim8or.com sucks and the other i found uses a different program, how do i get a texture on in anim8or? i sent you a screen of the object sluggs, i made a small change, i removed the glass portion of the lamp so i can texture it separately from the metal parts. how do i get the texture on?

Yes, you would have ran into problems when texturing that object without breaking it down. I said start simple man! Well i guess it's a simple object really but i meant something even more simpler! You did a great job with that.

Texturing an object, where to begin?

The best way i can think of to get ye going is this...

Firstly, make sure the part that needs texturing is square and central. This is a must for objects that need perfect alignment as in the sides and top of my new pedestal object, which was built in parts for easy texturing. It's not such a biggie with textures that don't need alignment.

Choose a material and apply it to the face(s) using the material editor.

It's best to select one side at a time, selecting more will stretch the texture over all of the selected sides and can become stretched. It all depends how it will look with the texture's you use.

Once you have your side(s) selected, goto: Settings/Component/Texture UV and select either Z, Y or Z, depending on which view you are in, and press OK. If you choose the wrong Axis, just go back and choose another Axis.

That's about it really, that's the way to go. Just experiment with it and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

BTW, dark textures, like wood, can be difficult to align because they are so dark and hard to see if you're aligning them correctly. If that's the case, just use a brighter texture and swap it for the desired texture afterwards.

To save you problems later, i'm letting you know how to centralize the final object before you export it.

Save your .an8 file first!!!

Secondly, if your object is in parts, select all the parts and goto: Build/Join Solids. This will join the parts up and create a single object. Next you'll need to centralize the object for Thief. Make sure the object is hilighted and then goto: Edit/Locate/Center about Origin. Now your object is perfectly central.

Can you still see it? Anyway, time to save it again as another .an8 file. (Save like you're a demented saver!) Now you can export it. If you can't see your object, bring it back into view by clicking on the button with the eye on it and pressing the bottom-left button, the one with a cube inside it. Not that you need to now as it's finished, but you may want to check it juuuuurst in case!

Good luck ye taffer!
    Last edited by sluggs; 20th Jun 2004 at 06:30.

ZylonBane
    Is it possible to get existing BINs into Anim8or, or does the process just go one way?

I was thinking about the warping-texture problem that some objects have when partially offscreen, most notably the picture frames. Someone suggested that this might be caused by polygons that use tiled textures. Anyone up to reworking a framed picture to use straight non-tiled mapping and see if that fixes the problem?

Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast