TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459 ... LastLast

Thread: Get learning Anim8or!

You can use BintoE.exe and Eto3DS.exe to convert bins back to 3ds. They're available on Shadowspawn's tool page. I'll try if the texture distortion disappears on the frame when using a texture without tiling it.

Edit: The distortion remains even with a non-tiled texture. As soon as one of the vertices is off screen, the Dark Engine seems to calculate the texture mapping inaccurately. I blame it on the trapezoid shape of the frame bars. I had to adjust the UV mapping in the 3D editor so the (rectangular) texture didn't look distorted along the edge of the two polygons. In Thief, this correction somehow doesn't work when the polygons aren't entirely on screen.
    Last edited by Eshaktaar; 20th Jun 2004 at 10:47.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    okay, got the texture on, got the uv texture stuff done, and i can convert it to a .bin file, but it crashes thief when i try to bring it in. any one have any ideas?

Too many poly's dude! Check ye email!

finished my first object, a sodium lamp, i see these sorts of things all over the place, now to add light effects to it.

I'm having a problem; there is no Add Light option under the Build menu for me.

its under renderer, you have light and animlight for animated lights (ones that turn on/off) those also need the script animlight on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    finished my first object, a sodium lamp, i see these sorts of things all over the place, now to add light effects to it.
    Didn't realize you were just making the lamp itself. I thought you was going to attach it to a post. Guess you can still do that and make another model from it.

BTW, i can't see your piccie. Get a new host, Geocities sucks big time!
    Last edited by sluggs; 21st Jun 2004 at 12:36.

Just right-click the attempted picture, select properties, highlight and copy the URL and paste it into the address bar of your browser.

for this mission i want the light as is, but it would look great attached to a pole. i tried attaching it to a pole, but it gave me some errors, i think i over did it on polycount again, how do i determine the number of polygons that an object is using?
    Last edited by Ottoj55; 21st Jun 2004 at 20:45.

Basically, if it has detail, it has too many polygons. I suggest you make those grilles part of that yellow texture, or at the very least make them into triangular-based cylinders with backfaces removed.

the grills are boxes, i extruded the faces out a bit, then pinched it in, extrude, pinched, extruded, pinched to make them simplier, they seem to be a vast improvement on the old grills. i'm working on a model now, it has a bunch of points and i can see polys, its all extruded from a single sphere which i think is pretty impressive. how can i get a handle on its complexity?

in another note, how do i get the texture to apply in something more complicated. it only is applying to the head part, not the body parts that i made from the same original sphere as the head, i would like to be able to make a texture wrap this thing easily but anim8or doesn't want to do it for me.
    Last edited by Ottoj55; 22nd Jun 2004 at 02:20.

Anim8or will do it for ye no problem. You just haven't got the knack of texturing just yet. It took me a while to suss it out. That picture light i made recently, that too was made from a single mesh, a cylinder. It's bloody amazing what you can make from a single mesh! Best of all, i didn't even have to break it up for texturing. That object was not perfect, as i had changed the design half-way through and the final object still had some extra poly's inside it from the original design. I shall make another version of it later. Keep it up Otto.

BTW, are you addicted to Anim8or yet? I am!

anim8or is pure visual crack

how to make an object with a front/back texture? i know the donuts in ominous bequest were done that way, but anim8or won't do it for me, if i could define the front and back sides it would be simple to texture.

The graphical 3ds > bin program from Nameless Voice's site has a 'Two Sided' option for each texture on the object.

OMG! Jeesh this thread has gotten big! Man sluggs, your going crazy with this modeling stuff! Great work! Keep it up u silly taffer! Guess it's my fault for not being arround lately....

~SG

It's not surprising this thread's doing so well. Object creation is a part of FM making and there's nowhere else at TTLG to ask for help in creating objects. This thread has got a few people interested in making their own objects, and i'm really pleased with that. Anim8or is a nice program and easy enough to use.

I'm sure this thread will go on for alot longer as taffers' start learning the program and posting screenies of their new objects and asking for help. It's a great thread and i'm glad i started it but most of all, i'm glad i started learning Anim8or.

There will be a new version of the program soon with more features. I'm looking forward to that.
    Last edited by sluggs; 23rd Jun 2004 at 14:57.

i always thought objects were hard to make, and now i know better. this type of discussion should become a large feature of game modding as that newer games are using more complicated ojbects, and many more objects.

just finished an object, my girlfriend said she would play thief is she got to steal "cute" things.

Last edited by Ottoj55; 23rd Jun 2004 at 20:09.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Crikey! Even my wife might play a mission full of those.

LOL!

Ha, now you have to make the Cthulhu version of that Hello Kitty, as well

Inspired by Schwaa's apparition (a legless, floating AI that was never used by LGS), I made my own:

The bones are reskinned Thief objects, except for the skull, which I modeled from scratch. I used a high poly model of a skull to create the texture, which makes it look much more detailed than it is.
    Making an AI is not much different from making objects, except for the additional limit planes and joints.

The shadows and the mind are one in the same; both hold all the secrets in the world.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That's simply amazing! To be seen in UA, I presume?

I'm speechless and... I really wish you hadn't shown us that one!

I don't fancy meeting those things in the FM! Have the bones got err, bones? I mean, do the arms move? That torn cloak really makes the object. It just wouldn't be the same without it. You're obviously skilled with 3DS Max i presume. What was your first object, and how long have you been making them Eshaktaar?
    Last edited by sluggs; 24th Jun 2004 at 09:19.

These things will make an appearance in UA's second mission. The motions of the apparition are quite neat: When it "stands", it slowly swirls its arms back and forth. It uses a distance attack that includes waving arms and shaking the head violently. Still have to make a fitting projectile for the AI to hurl at the player.
    I tried attaching a green smoke particle effect to its spine to raise the "spookiness" factor, but as soon as the AI started to move, it looked as if it were farting green gas all the time

What was your first object, and how long have you been making them Eshaktaar?
    The donuts Nothing more than a textured standard torus. It must have been 1.5 years ago when I was making my first mission and realized that I needed custom objects to achieve some of the desired effects. Since then I'm addicted to modelling, as well

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314192429343944495459 ... LastLast