TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Thief 3 verdict-good, damn good

My Thief 3 verdict-good, damn good

I could barely contain my excitment when Thief Deadly Shadows arrived. I've
    waited a long time for this game (though doubtfully not as long as some of you) and so far it's lived up to my expectations.

The first full mission (the second mission in the game) is dripping with atmosphere. I refrain from spoilers but for me it equaled the excellent missions of TDP and T2.

Loot glint isn't a problem(it's so subtle that it took me awhile to notice), arrow trails are actually helpful(helps you judge where your arrow went) and the graphics are spectacular, particularly the lighting and shadows. Nothing's as cool as seeing your own shadow flicker against the wall before you blackjack some poor helpless sod. Guards, even on normal difficulty, are much smarter than the AI of previous Thiefs. They always notice a smoking torch or chandle that you put out and they're much more responsive to how much noise you make.

I also didn't think the loading zones broke immersion. Rather, it felt more like two missions. My only real beef with the game so far is that it's a system hog. I'm running on low texture detail and 800 by 600 resolution. My system has an xp 2000 processor, a geforce ti 4600 graphics card and 512 megs of ram. At the aforementioned settings I get around 20 to 30 fps. That's all I have to say right now, need to get back to playing the game!

I just got home with the game about two hours ago.

Yes, I've said multiple times I was going to wait for a performance test, but I saw it in the store and I couldn't say no.

I'm partway through the first "real" mission, and I'm having a blast. So far, it really does feel like Thief. I gotta disagree with what you said about the loot glint, though- I definitely noticed it, and although I think it's going to be helpful for distinguishing loot from junk for some items, it's also called my attention to loot I would have missed otherwise, which I don't like. One was a goblet sitting in darkness that I overlooked until I caught the glint, and the other was something I saw through a window, glinting from a rooftop across the street

But I really am enjoying it. A lot. I just have to force myself to put it down and finish Thief 2 first (almost there)...

Quote Originally Posted by gga_nate
    My only real beef with the game so far is that it's a system hog. I'm running on low texture detail and 800 by 600 resolution. My system has an xp 2000 processor, a geforce ti 4600 graphics card and 512 megs of ram. At the aforementioned settings I get around 20 to 30 fps. That's all I have to say right now, need to get back to playing the game!
    I was afraid of that. I have the exact same CPU, video card, and memory config as you (assuming it's DDR-333), and I was hoping to be able to run at 1024x768 with a minimum 30 FPS. Looks like I'll have to wait for an upgrade or a new box to play Thief III. Well, at least I have a large backlog of excellent games to play in the meantime, such as Deus Ex GOTY, NOLF 2, Jedi Outcast, Tron 2.0, KOTOR, The Longest Journey, etc.

ZylonBane
    I also didn't think the loading zones broke immersion. Rather, it felt more like two missions.
    A cookie to whoever can find the screaming contradiction here.

okay, do we have a tech section for this game?

...why does it look like i'm playing in 640x480 no matter how i set it in options?
    i've tried 1024x768 all the way up to 1280x1024 and it doesn't change.

...what's with the lighting? it's horribly distracting to be looking straight ahead, and notice the wall on your far left is completely lit up like the noonday sun is shining on it. then turn garrett's head just a tad toward the wall and *boom* it's in complete darkness.
    it's done this on every wall i see... both the left and right sides.

anyone have any ideas? it's driving me crazy.

P4 2.53 ghz
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro/128mb/Cat 4.5 drivers
    Audigy with EAX 4 (the sound is just amazing!)/latest drivers(hence the EAX 4)
    512 mb ddr400 Kingston RAM
    WD 120 gb/7200 rpm/8 mb cache
    DX 9.0b
    Win XP, SP1

newly reformatted since April 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by broken
    ...what's with the lighting? it's horribly distracting to be looking straight ahead, and notice the wall on your far left is completely lit up like the noonday sun is shining on it. then turn garrett's head just a tad toward the wall and *boom* it's in complete darkness.
    I mentioned this in another thread. I'm having this problem as well, although it's not on every wall.

Like you, I have a Radeon 9700 Pro, running Catalyst 4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalepsy
    One was a goblet sitting in darkness that I overlooked until I caught the glint, and the other was something I saw through a window, glinting from a rooftop across the street

But I really am enjoying it. A lot. I just have to force myself to put it down and finish Thief 2 first (almost there)...
    lol...across the street??!!

Do ever post anything where you're not criticizing something someone says? Every single post i've read of yours is complaining about something. I don't know why you post at all because I'm sure no one enjoys reading your complaints.

Still Subjective
    I do.

Zylon does one of two things. He (she?) moans about nothing/takes the negative to the nth degree.

Or he (she?) points out something that is just plain wrong, and often in the bluntest way.

Its option 2 here I'm afraid. What you said, gga_nate, was a total contradiction. It was like saying - the steak was well done, really nice and rare. See, if the zones make 1 mission seem like 2 then emersion must be broken.

Cookie please.

*Gives Subjective Effect a 'shroom cookie directly from Konstantine's cellars*

Immersion breaking, at least to me, would be a level loading point every 5 minutes. It's not like that. You're defining any break in gameplay as immersion breaking, with is true i suppose, if you adhere to the definition rather strictly. By your definition switching to another level qualifies as immersion breaking. I see my argument has become muddled and confusing. All I'm trying to say is that the level loading points aren't a big deal and definitely not worth refusing yourself the game for. At the same time (and this is making my argument even more muddled) I agree that pc users shouldn't be subjected to level loading points. But hey it's a price that we have to pay for a dual platform development. As for zylonbane I don't really care. He (or she) is frequently rude in his posts and I can't see why anyone would defend him. I understand the perhaps zylonbane makes a good point everyonce in a while but at the same time I don't understand why he can't be more polite. That's all I have to say about zylonbane because I don't want to start a flame war.

First impressions

Hey all...Long time Thief fan, first time posting here...

I purchased the newest Deus Ex, and I own Morrowwind. I feel like Deadly shadows is a distict mixture of the two. I feel the bow shoots just as it does in Morrowind.

TO be honest. It doesn't feel the same as the T1 or T2. I finished the first level, and honestly I was hoping to be swept away. Usually the first level is one of the absolute best. So far, I am not overwhelmed.

I hope it grows on me more.

It looks like Thief.
    It sounds like Thief.
    It feels like Thief.

Cheers to Mr. Spector, Mr. Smith, Ion Storm, and Eidos Interactive.

Can anyone tell me why one of his eye is green?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby
    Can anyone tell me why one of his eye is green?
    In TDP, Garrett loses an eye and uses a "mechanical" one to replace it. If you've not played TDP or T2, I'll let you find out how that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jbairdjr
    In TDP, Garrett loses an eye and uses a "mechanical" one to replace it. If you've not played TDP or T2, I'll let you find out how that happens.
    I only played Thief 2 and playing Thief TDS
    When i looked at the game cover of Thief 2 i saw one eye is green but i didnt know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby
    I only played Thief 2 and playing Thief TDS
    When i looked at the game cover of Thief 2 i saw one eye is green but i didnt know why?
    Play TDP. You will understand.

...why does it look like i'm playing in 640x480 no matter how i set it in options?

anyone have any ideas? it's driving me crazy.

P4 2.53 ghz
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro/128mb/Cat 4.5 drivers
    Audigy with EAX 4 (the sound is just amazing!)/latest drivers(hence the EAX 4)
    512 mb ddr400 Kingston RAM
    WD 120 gb/7200 rpm/8 mb cache
    DX 9.0b
    Win XP, SP1

newly reformatted since April 2004.

Switch to the 4.4 cats and you're golden.

Are you joking? 800x600 res with low textures and 20-30 fps even with a GF4 4600 and 512 MB in RAM?!!!! No, this is a complete lack of respect on the part of the devs and Eidos. This game has not been optimized properly for Direct 8.1. They are cheating Thief fans, no doubt. They did the same thing with Deus EX 1 and 2. What might I do even if I save enough money to buy a GeForce 5600? 5-10 fps at 800x600... what a shame!!!!

I also didn't think the loading zones broke immersion. Rather, it felt more like two missions. My only real beef with the game so far is that it's a system hog. I'm running on low texture detail and 800 by 600 resolution. My system has an xp 2000 processor, a geforce ti 4600 graphics card and 512 megs of ram. At the aforementioned settings I get around 20 to 30 fps. That's all I have to say right now, need to get back to playing the game!
    Loading zones intended for XBOX version even in the PC version is another shame. The devs didn't even take the trouble to adapt the game for PCs. I won't buy this game ever! I will not encourage bad companies to keep cheating gamers with half-made games like this one. This is not the first game in my list of fakes, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane

That is because you are forced to run the game at 640x480 due to your poor video card. You need a Radeon 9800 at least... X800 recommended Joking apart, if you ask Eidos, you are likely to receive this kind of response, no doubt. Try!

Last edited by David; 27th May 2004 at 02:12. Reason: Amalgamating three posts and removing masses of quoting.

Alfred, do not post multiple times in a row, that is what the edit button is for. Please not do quote reams of text, it is not necessary.

Also your constant Ion bashing is extremely tiresome. It appears that you're bitter because you got duped by Nvidia/system builder marketing hype and got lumped with an old card.
    God forbid a company attempt to move forward :nedan:

how long it will take to beat the game?
    Last edited by Scooby; 27th May 2004 at 02:40.

I've been a total Thief fanatic since the demo of TDP arrived on my PCGamer disc. I picked up Thief 3 at noon today and have been playing it ever since. Now since I haven't finished the game, or even a quarter of it for that matter, I can't judge it fully. However, the game is both awesome, and "off" a little. I had to get the Xbox version because somehow I doubt my 600MHz processor would run Thief 3. However, I've noticed a considerable lag on the game so far, in all sorts of areas. First off, it's a console. Console games should always run perfect 90% of the time, because you know what you're working with. If there are too many special effects, cut some of them out, or at least give an option to.

Anyway, I do love the game so far and I'll post later when I've BEATEN it.

I remember playing the original Thief on my brother's Pentium 166 w/ 32mb of RAM and some 16mb video card I can't remember the name of. Vantra? God, it's been years!

It was freaking slow, I'll yell ya that, but it did not, in any way, ever stop me from beating the game.

Why Thief 3 runs a little slow?

If i Have!

Pentium 4 1.99 GHz
    512 mb ram
    80 GB hard drive
    256 GeForce FX 5500
    Sound Blaster Live Value card!
    Last edited by Scooby; 27th May 2004 at 03:01.

So, did anyone besides me change the directories and shortcuts from "Thief - Deadly Shadows" to "Thief 3 - Deadly Shadows?"