TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Standing Up for Thief: Deadly Shadows

Lyansside, you shouldn't delay bathroom trips. Unless you want Intersitial Cystosis.

Zylon,

I would say Loot Glint is a visual indicator of a kind of "Ooohhh look at that," that you see out of your field of vision. It adds to the gameplay. It does not detract.

I'll say it here.

I LOVE LOOT GLINT!

I am glad it is in the game. Personally, I always had great disdain for the FMs that made you hunt for that one coin in the sink just to finish a plot.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeTrunk
    I am glad it is in the game. Personally, I always had great disdain for the FMs that made you hunt for that one coin in the sink just to finish a plot.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

The game is beautiful.......looks so good I want to eat it......gameplay is brilliant.......everything about it is satisfying for me. I felt like a 6 year old kid on Xmas morning when I slipped the disks in to install........I'm actually dragging things out in the game, ridiculously so,......Covering every piece of territory over and over.....oohing and aaahing constantly....still!after almost 3 full days of play!

And I love the loot glint!!!! Yes!!!! Love it, do ya hear me!!??? It's ....pretty! Maybe I'm just mollified by shiny objects....be that as it may........I'm happy....no, ecstatic! with the game....every part of it! It's still Garrett.....still Thief......just.....prettier!

Yes yes....it would be great to have an editor for it.......and hopefully that will come........but really....it just doesn't matter.......all the waiting is over.......(for some,anyway...).......and I for one am very glad.

Kudos to Ion Storm! Bravo!!

ps; I'm wondering if maybe some people got bad disks ......because I have no glitches or bugs in mine. A lot of it, I think, has to do with people fucking around too much with their pooters........or not meeting the sys req's. I built my machine for this game. As I'm sure all of the TRUE Thief fans did.

End of sermon.

just finished the demo (training mission and the first real mission). it's definetly a Thief. Graphics are good, sounds and ambient music are great and the atmosphere/immersion is superb. From What I have heard and now played myself T3 could be even better than T2.

People (usually always the same people) find always flaws and things to complain about in everything, and in this case most of them haven't even tried the game, and if they have, they continue bitching and whining becouse they have already made-their-minds(tm), or it's "cool" not to agree with the majority.

If I remember correctly there was lot of bitching and whining when T2 came out - 'cos it wasn't the T1. T1&T2 definetly weren't perfect but they are still my alltime favourites. and now I can add T3 to that group.

I haven't had much of a chance to play through DS yet, but I for one am perfectly ok with loot glint, and while i could do without arrow trails, they're certainly not as annoying as they could have been.

Frankly, debating that this game doesn't FEEL like thief is kinda ludicrous. The same debates surfaced when TMA came out, because some people (including myself) prefered Tricksters and treebeasts to Karras and mecha - so far, DS feels a lot like TDP to me, at least in spirit. Plus, it looks great. Plus, there's been a significant boost to the AI - by far the most important thing we've all been asking for since day 1. Guards now notice their buddies are missing or loot's not where it's supposed to be; do you all realize how long we've been clamoring for that?

You're never gonna get the feeling you got from TDP from DS.. that's a given - back then, the stealth genre was pretty much in its infancy, and TDP was new, it was exciting, and it was a hell of a lot more atmospheric and interesting than any other shooter out at that time. Now that we're on our third iteration of Thief (fourth if you include TDP's gold edition), it's hard to expect the same sort of magic.. and frankly, i think DS does a pretty good job of providing it. I still think TMA is the weak link in the chain, and I probably will for some time.

That said, I miss rope arrows a lot... but you know what? they're not there. Deal with it. You can either bitch about minutiae or play the game - i get the feeling the latter will be a tad more satisfying.

Larcener,

Yes, I agree! The game does look beautiful, especially at 1600 x 1200. Multisampling is at 1, but it still looks nice!

Right now I am still on the first mission and enjoying all the sights and sounds. Yes, I am definitely taking my time with this game. There are too many pretty things to look at! No reason to speed through and show off!
    Last edited by Dirty_Brute; 29th May 2004 at 02:31.

A man after my own heart!.....
    Long live Deadly Shadows!

Hi all...I'm new to the series, and quite frankly new to the genre, as really IMHO Splinter Cell can't compare and nor can any other game...this is probably the only real stealth series....really quite unique

I can't stop playing this game, as I'm constantly wanting to advance the plot....the cutscenes have brought me RIGHT into the game...I found the cutscene for the Pagan mission where u steal the Paw EXTREMELY cool....where he cuts his hand and he bleeds onto the ground and some plants grow...that was probably THE most atmospheric cutscene I've ever seen for any game...

I've never played 1 and 2, which is really quite sad because I think that would help with immersing me into the story even more....I understand the story, as I've read the various lengthy summaries on different messageboards, so I atleast understand what is going on...but I still feel like there is a void there....reading about a game and it's plot and playing a game and experiencing its plot are 2 completely different things IMHO....

I'm really loving this game, although naturally I have some complaints

I hate the loadings (as I often screw up when I'm experimenting), and as much as they praised the AI, and I do see where the praise comes from (environmental awareness) I do feel they are still...easy....even on expert (which I'm playing on)....Their reaction times are too slow...If I hear something coming up behind me, I whip my head to see what it is....but the guards in this game speak aloud to themselves, and easily give you enough time to RUN at them from behind and hit them with the blackjack.....I'd appreciate it if the creep feature (or walk) was actually needed in these cases....it would lead to more tension because of the routes they walk and time limits for getting to them and hitting them over the head...

I also found some pathfinding problems...in the hammerite mission at the beginning, I was having some trouble getting some loot that had 2 guys in it (a priest and a guard holding a candle for him) so what I did was I shot the guard with the arrow, and then I stood in the doorway....the priest just kept running into me even though I was blocking the door because he wanted to get some help outside in the courtyard.....I suppose this will happen in every game at one point or another due to CPU and AI limitations which I don't feel will be resolved until a couple generations from now....I also found a lady walking on the spot as her path was blocked by a ramp to the next level...

I'm impressed. Really. It's been a while since I've had trouble getting myself off of the computer due to an addiction to a game....

A question: How many missions are in the game?

Also, I was wondering how much you guys usually spend to buy arrows or health potions...to stock up...after every level? Because I haven't bought anything and I'm on the fourth mission with an abundance of arrows....So I guess my style of blackjacking almost everyone in a whole mission is saving me lotsa $..I think my levels would go by a lot faster if I were more willing to use my arrows though...I'm playing on expert and I've only killed maybe 5 guards with arrows through 4 missions....I also believe it could be even more fun if I allowed myself to use more arrows...

SO another question: How many arrows do you guys alot yourself to per mission? Because I want to use them, but I'm afraid to since I have heard that ammo is very limited....

Okay now, take it easy with the spoilers! A lot of people, such as myself, are still on the first mission.

Quote Originally Posted by von Braunn
    ...they continue bitching and whining becouse they have already made-their-minds(tm)...
    Hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunken Orc
    That said, I miss rope arrows a lot... but you know what? they're not there. Deal with it. You can either bitch about minutiae or play the game - i get the feeling the latter will be a tad more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulchie
    ...but the guards in this game speak aloud to themselves...
    This was talked about during development - why would you announce your every thought to the world?

The thing is, it's a key aspect of the game, it makes it exciting. Kind of like how there is no sound in space and lasers are instantaneous, yet in Star Wars we hear all the whooshing of ships, and the lasers fly around in bolts at a time, that can be dodged.

Word of the wise - buy Thief 1 and Thief 2 - they have gone "classic" and can be picked up for next to nothing in bargain bins. You won't regret it.

I'm confused about the loot glint-hating.

Remember in the original Thief games how stuff worth stealing was all gold coloured and stuff not worth stealing was coloured some drab colour like brown or green or whatever? How on earth is loot glint different from that?

Anyway, mark me down as one of the people who loves this game. I loved Thief 1 and 2 and the System Shock series and the Deus Ex games (both of them) and playing Thief 3 feels to me like coming home. I've tried a lot of other Stealth action games but none of them have gotten stealth RIGHT in the way that the Thief series did (and does).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmit
    I'm confused about the loot glint-hating.

Remember in the original Thief games how stuff worth stealing was all gold coloured and stuff not worth stealing was coloured some drab colour like brown or green or whatever? How on earth is loot glint different from that?
    The problem is that I feel like the game is yelling at me "Over here! You missed something! Hey! There's some loot on the other side of the room! Go get it! Yes, I know it's dark in here, but I found something under the bed! Come look!"

Yes, some of the loot in Thief was immediately obvious, but other loot you had to poke around for, and having a big blinking beacon there is really annoying me. For me, finding the loot myself was part of the fun, as was overlooking a cleverly-placed loot item until I looked more thoroughly.

I agree that there should be some way to tell the loot from the junk, but the loot glint goes way beyond that.

Loot was pretty easy to spot in the first two due to it's gold coloured nature. Didn't stop me trying to grab the green bottles as well though for the first couple of missions in the vain hope they'd be worth something

because thief 3 is now 32bit they can have darker darks and the colours on objects are much harder to tell so although I think there's an argument for having it only show up once in a certain range, I'd far rather have it on than off otherwise I'd have to get irritated and waste much time picking up most stuff and then having to very carefully put it down trying not to make any noise.

on loot across the otherside of the room, well in thief 1+2 it wasn't the stuff that was just lying around that was hard to find anyway and I think the fact that many got stuck at 97% in the first mission shows that they are still able to hide stuff fine.
    Last edited by Bambers; 29th May 2004 at 08:26.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played the T3 demo yesterday and I had just as much fun as when I first played the Thief 2 demo.

I feel very sorry for you people who get hung up on unimportant shit like loot glint and arrow-trails.

Quote Originally Posted by henke
    I feel very sorry for you people who get hung up on unimportant shit like loot glint and arrow-trails.
    I'm not hung up on loot glint. The implementation just gets on my nerves. It doesn't make me hate the game. I am, in fact, enjoying it.

Thief Deadly Shadows is my favorite game.
    Dynamic shadows are the best improvement.

jtr7

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Jonas View Post
    If not being blinded by flashbombs bothers you, it's your right to say so :
    ZB is just a argumentative taf... TDS annoyed me immensely to begin with but i got used to it, but TDM when its released will render TDS pointless.

Taking advantage of this thread necromancy I'd just like to wonder out loud what the people who defend(ed) TDS thought about the Keeper Enforcers.

Since this thread resurrected...

I have nothing much bad to say about TDS. It was the first one I played, and it was the reason I wanted more Thief. I knew nothing about 3rd person view, didn't have any previous games to compare it to and get huffy over, and between Garrett's persona, and the storyline, I became a permanent Thief addict. And I love ATOMIC BLUE. It happens to be my favorite color

After having played TG and TMA, and a bazilion FMs, I can completely see where people could have issues with TDS if they'd played the previous ones first, but I will always remember it fondly. Even if I can't swim, or have rope arrows.
    ----------------
    I thought the enforcers were a bit over the top, but since I didn't know anything more about the keepers than what the game filled me in on at the time, it didn't gall me.

I also felt like the city was alive. A place with people, living, working, drinking people. The AI generally feel more like AI to me in TG and TMA. (Except of course Benny, who is a character all his own in any of the games, and his smart friend).
    Last edited by kamyk; 10th Jan 2009 at 05:59.

Thief Deadly Shadows has more good stuff than bad stuff. I must admit that they designed poorly some facts (like the Keeper faction), but it has so many improvements. The things I liked about TDS is the realism, graphics, story, the City. The thing I didn't like was that it had little space to explore. Loading areas in the same mission were just BAD. I gave a 10+ to TDS when I played it and that will not change. Actually all the Thief games got the same 10+ from me cause' they are just awesome (other else I would not be posting here).

I think TDM (and perhaps Thief 4) will get all our wishes together and all will be satisfied.

P.S. I wonder if there is someone there who did not enjoyed The Cradle. Really now. Only that mission compensate for all the bad things...

Loved it, finished it 3 times, but I just was overenthusiastic about it, now it's uninstalled, I think for ever.

Wrong engine. It just doesn't work for the game.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast