TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Strange and Unusual

The Strange and Unusual

Help me out here. Possible spoilers ahead.

#1 It's friggin impossible to get off ladders except at the bottom and the top (if you're lucky).

#2 Take a close look at the wanted posters. There is at least one that is reversed. Located in Pavelock Prison.

Okay, so it's not much to start with. I just wanted to get it started now to catch those fleeting first impressions.

EDIT: Oh yeah... Disclaimer: There's no guarantee that I'm going to do anything with this. If you post here, there is no guarantee that it will be used in any S&U that I may or may not do. If I do use stuff posted here, there's no guarantee that I'll credit the poster properly. However, I will try to do so and having everything in one tidy thread increases the odds dramatically.

If you don't know what I'm going on about, look here: Guide to the Strange and Unusual
    Last edited by Thumper; 28th May 2004 at 02:02.

#3 What function do rats have?
    spoiler:
    Step on one. They are mobile squeaky boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Help me out here. Possible spoilers ahead.
    If you don't know what I'm going on about, look here: Guide to the Strange and Unusual
    Or here

The table in the last room (ok next to last if you count the exit area) of the training lifts up out of the ground when you remove the bag from it... Indiana Jones suddenly struck me in the face and I was looking for something to put back on it... heh. Actualy I've had a few objects lift up out of the ground from simular actions.

I have seen several armed NPC's with their swords 'hanging' up into their arm pit, must hurt

Stacks of coins look a LOT like ampules of poision...

The tatoo on bald headed man who is walking about in the stone quarter at least on you first and second visit glows in certain lighting thow this may be perposful... I'm watching that guy.

NPC's will go home and get more bags of gold to steal if you wait around long enough (might be leave the area and return, but I could have sworn...

I dunno, I'm grasping now. I'll come back when I see more.

I was stuck/hiding behind some big crates when two or three guards were chasing me. One of the guards ran at me full speed, and ran into the crate and the other guards at the same time. It sent him into the air maybe 10 feet and let him fall onto the crate, smashing the crate and killing him...weirdness...

That's the only bug I've seen with the physics...other than that one time, the physics rock.

Hate to kill your #1 Thumper, but if you just simply press jump while not moving, you'll release the ladder =)

I have one you can have though that you'll want to try yourself, as they are fun =)

Trying closing a door with a corpse in the doorway. I've had a variety of results, the most common being the store slamming into them over and over until they have lifted above the door frame and it can close. I have once had the body fly across the room into a stack of boxes, however.

Also, loot/objects in the way of doors or grates that fold down onto the floor cause similar results. There's actual an area I found where the loot was on the ground and a grate opened downward onto it..didnt think Id ever bee able to get, the way it was dancing around.

In the sea captains mansion there is a hidey hole covered by a grate. When you open the grate it falls down onto candlestick loot, and then bounces back up. And does this continuosly until you pick up the candlestick.

haha yeah that's the one alright PanDMonium =)

#3 What function do rats have?
    spoiler:
    Step on one. They are mobile squeaky boards.
    Guards get mildly suspicious if cats or rats are acting abnormal. "Wonder why the rats are so skittish?" or something like that.

Also, I ran into the Candlestick/grate thing at the Clocktower, near the little Hammerite altar. The grate eventually sent the candlestick flying, allowing it to open.

Looks like a good start.

Sorry, Azal. I didn't mean to exclude your fine work on T2!

Quote Originally Posted by Dach
    Hate to kill your #1 Thumper, but if you just simply press jump while not moving, you'll release the ladder =)
    Oh, I knew that of course. I just wasn't entirely clear. Your choices appear to be either get off at the bottom, get off at the top if there is a floor facing you at the top, or jump off and fall back to the bottom. I equate the latter more or less with just getting off at the bottom. Try getting off sideways.

In Pavelock there is a ladder. Climb it and try to get off onto the floor to the left. I couldn't find a way to do it. I suppose I haven't played the game long enough to justify an absolute no way here though. Maybe there are places where you can get off sideways and I just haven't found them yet.

Ah. Gotcha =) Yeah, no more wild leaps from the ladder while trying to grab a nearby ledge, sadly. The closest you really get is climbing a wall and then letting go and trying to grab another wall that is at a 90 degree angle from the original wall you were on.

This isn't strange or unsual really, but I've had a rather good time setting up a stack of boxes and other items at the bottom of some stairs, covering the stairs with oil and then alerting a guard who is at the top of the steps =) Modified bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dach
    This isn't strange or unsual really, but I've had a rather good time setting up a stack of boxes and other items at the bottom of some stairs, covering the stairs with oil and then alerting a guard who is at the top of the steps =) Modified bowling.
    Fun applications of your tools will definitely be included.

hehe =)

I think the physics will be one of the most fun things to play with. I saw a tip on the load screen saying "try dropping heavy objects on your opponents". I'm wondering if rolling those nice big barrels into them down some steps will count..then we could REALLY do some bowling =)

Or I GUESS I could set up boxes and roll the barrel into it..but that won't be near as fun heh. Perhaps using a body would be fun too...as I already enjoy throwing guys down steps and watching them roll.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    buy the climbing gloves, go to the pagan area of the docks,
    spoiler:
    run through the pagans converted bar and get to the room with no floor, just beams above the entrance, jump through the window onto the small roof and then jump to the right onto the catwalk, climb up the wall, mantle onto the roof, and you can see through the roof object, walk around on what appears to be nothing, you'll see object models of windows and other elements, but no ground.

I have a nice little picture set for you, Thumper, of a ladder that is JUST out of reach in one mission, but you can get to with a crate, but leads to nowhere =p

Blackjacking a guard with a torch, and watching him fall on top of it, burning him to death.

I have the bow upgrade
    Does that painting of Stephen Russell in Rutherford Castle count?

Whoa! There's a stephen russle painting? I need to see that!

Another one I found is that in the room with the taproot tree in the pagan sanctuary, there's a wall you can walk through. Just try walking into the walls untill you find the one.

You can stand on a guard's head and stab/shoot him. I saw another thread in general that stated you can stand on their sword

Great stuff so far.

Details! In spoilers of course.

Where be this ladder to nowhere? At the beginning of the first Pagan mission?

Sure it counts, Lake. Where? Be on the look out for other real life references too.

A couple of random things I ran into recently...

Not all loot has glints! There's a goblet in the rafters of the Pagan Sanctuary with no glint.

Magic birthday candles. Frob them out and the light goes out but they stay lit. Fairly common.

spoiler:
    The ladder is at the start of the Pagan level in the mines (the one the Keepers send you on). RIGHT at the start..it's the ladder you supposedly came down to get in the mines, but still. Funny how those guys are lost like 2 feet from that ladder isn't it? =p

Also I noticed, to go along with Ottoj55's comment, that place you can climb up to to see through the world has spots where you can fall behind it and latch onto an invisible wall so it looks like you are climbing air.

I have the bow upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydeon
    You can stand on a guard's head and stab/shoot him. I saw another thread in general that stated you can stand on their sword
    I found this out by falling off walkway in the underground citadel throne room. By accident, landed right on top of one of the Kurshok.

Thumper: If you go through the front door, it is in the next hallway with the patroling guard.

Here's a couple of things, although I'm sure many of you already know about the first one:

1) If you crouch, the
    spoiler:
    stone golems
    and the
    spoiler:
    kurshok
    can't hit you.

2)
    spoiler:
    Right after the cutscene in Gamall's Lair, I started looking around in the room I was now in. I tried to crouch and climb enter the fireplace that doesn't have a fire in it only to be shot about 10 feet away from it. So I tried again. And got shot a few feet in a different direction. I eventually got in there with some crouching/jumping/strafing techniques, but didn't see anything but blackness about 5 feet up the chimney. Still, it's interesting that I got blown around the room like that.

Looks like a good start.

Sorry, Azal. I didn't mean to exclude your fine work on T2!

Oh, I knew that of course. I just wasn't entirely clear. Your choices appear to be either get off at the bottom, get off at the top if there is a floor facing you at the top, or jump off and fall back to the bottom. I equate the latter more or less with just getting off at the bottom. Try getting off sideways.

In Pavelock there is a ladder. Climb it and try to get off onto the floor to the left. I couldn't find a way to do it. I suppose I haven't played the game long enough to justify an absolute no way here though. Maybe there are places where you can get off sideways and I just haven't found them yet.
    I found that ladder too and couldn't get off of it on the top. I had to climb back down to get off, so I wondered why the ladder was even there or if I was just retarded.

2)
    spoiler:
    Right after the cutscene in Gamall's Lair, I started looking around in the room I was now in. I tried to crouch and climb enter the fireplace that doesn't have a fire in it only to be shot about 10 feet away from it. So I tried again. And got shot a few feet in a different direction. I eventually got in there with some crouching/jumping/strafing techniques, but didn't see anything but blackness about 5 feet up the chimney. Still, it's interesting that I got blown around the room like that.
    [/QUOTE]

spoiler:
    The same thing happened to me. I think it was because I couldn't for the life of me find the way I was supposed to exit, and I was trying every little corner... but the fireplace teleported me away, too, but only the first time. Heh. I don't think I ever actually found it, though I did manage to leave.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast