TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dromed FAQ

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i've added a tutorial to my site, creating movies in ulead videostudio with multipass divx encoding. http://www.jasonotto.net/tutorials.html

I Cannot Read Instructions
    Ottoj: Your tutorials aren't working for me. I just see your index page, no matter what the URL is.

the site was down for some reason, it was working last i looked.

Part III

Moved content to the first post - Digi
    Last edited by Digital Nightfall; 12th Nov 2007 at 19:44. Reason: Moved content to the first post

Part Four

(Holding space for part four)

To Admin/Moderator: Could a moderator or an admin move the Part Two, Part Three and this post below the first post of the FAQ.

I have left the tutorials by author to Part Two currently. I may move that topic here so you can easily view it, but for now it shall stay in part two.

Whoa, nice work Dark Arrow. Ooo, I have a tut I would like to contribute. I had it on my website, but recently I got DSL and am with a different internet provider, so my website is not on the net anymore. I need to find a new place to host my site.... If anyone's got an idea, lemme know..

-Anyway, about that tut of mine.... I have made a Burrick tut so that people who wanted to insert burricks into thief 2 would have less trouble learning how to do it by themselves. I probably forgot myself lol I could send you the tutorial if you want to host it Dark Arrow.

~SG

P.S--> Thanx for posting your sig Yandros! I forgot about your website. I like it. Also, I remember talking to you about your background music, I want to download it if that's ok wid you. But, I don't know how to get it though. Could you send me the file? (the greypurple.wav) Also, I like that Benny tribute mission, that's cool.

since we never see it in missions, and because its easy to implement i've written a tutorial on how to make ai turn lights on if garrett turns them off.

http://www.jasonotto.net/tutorials/lightson.txt

Actually, now my site is up, and my tutorial is there too. Just go to here--> http://sneaksiegarrett-thiefsite.0catch.com/dromed.htm

and then click tutorials at the top.

~SG
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

I've written a tutorial on creating skyboxes from images collected with terragen. the tutorial does not cover the operation of terragen, only those things that are needed to create the skybox once you have finished the terrain in terragen. the tutorial also explains the thief sunlight conventions and how to calculate the vectors of the sun light from the latitude and longitude of a light source such as a moon or sun.

Importing a Skybox from Terragen

I added your tutorials to the list.

Back to BG2:Throne of Bhaal...

Important note

Thanx buddy for adding my tut.

[edit] I just found out for some reason I can't upload, or something else is going really screwy with my burric~1.doc, because when I look at it, it shows the wrong e-mail address. So, just a important note; ignore the e-mail there, follow the e-mail posted in the TTLG forums in my account.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 29th Nov 2004 at 19:28. Reason: Needed to add something

Runtime Object Shadow

Courtesy of Eshaktaar in this post: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...032#post981032

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar
    Try this: Put a bright light object (not a light brush) in the middle of a room, then put a big object, like a generator, right next to it. Adjust the light's Z coordinate so it is about the same as the generator's. Calculate Object Cast Lighting and go ingame. You'll see that the shadow the generator casts on the floor doesn't influence the lightgem. Now go back to the editor and add the property Render->Runtime Object Shadow: TRUE. Go back ingame (I don't think you need to recalculate lighting) and stand behind the generator: Your lightgem goes dark.
    This is a must for every mission! For best results, the property should be added to all the following archetypes:

Bushes (-496)
    Trees (-489)
    Cart (-233) (Also needs Object System->Immobile)
    Buildings (-6521) (Also needs Object System->Immobile)
    RobotBoiler (-5695)
    SmeltingCauldr (-434) (Also needs Object System->Immobile)
    Clocks (-425)
    Plumbing (-406)
    CollectorTower (-437)
    HingedAntenna (-429)
    Turbines (-422)
    Transformers (-415)
    Coils (-397)
    Statues (-193)
    Painting (-158)
    Banner (-150)
    Tombstone (-1364)
    Pedestal (-1546)
    DecorVase (-6579)
    Door (-161)
    Lift (-1334)
    PressureStair (-2047)
    PPlatPedestal (-2771)
    ReallyCrushingWall (-3749)
    MechTower (-5042)
    Rooftops (-5739) (Also needs Object System->Immobile)
    FootLocker (-152)
    Chest (-2571)
    Rubble (-1379)
    BrokenFurniture (-2971)
    RottenBarrels (-2983)
    RobotCorpses (-6142)
    WorkerBotBoiler (-6149)
    CombatBotBoiler (-6156)
    SpiderBotBoiler (-6162)
    Barrel (-137)
    Furniture (-10)
    CarBumper (-485)
    Cars (-480)
    Bell (-519)
    Gong (-159)

for that matter nv, i recommend adding a radius to all the lights in the gamesys so that you never have to worry about it again.

Why doesn't the sunlight (or 'moonlight') in my mission look right / affect the visibility gem properly?

In order for sunlight to work, the mission must be Optimised. The standard Portalisation proccess cannot calculate sunlight properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    For that matter NV, I recommend adding a radius to all the lights in the gamesys so that you never have to worry about it again.
    Good idea.

I've added a tutorial on a method for opening gates and activating lights when an elevator arrives at a floor using a rat riding the vator and the trigroomcreature script, its a bit easier to set up than the s/r version of this trick as it uses fewer links, traps and act react items. this method is only suited to elevators moving exclusively between two locations.

http://www.jasonotto.net/tutorials/vatordoors.txt

EDIT:

I've also added a tutorial on some basic architecture that may be useful to the new people here who want to build better looking rooms.

http://www.jasonotto.net/tutorials/room/basic.html
    Last edited by Ottoj55; 21st Jan 2005 at 10:53.

If someone doesn't know what FAQ stands for then it won't matter that this thread has an attention grabbing red title

I'm having a problem with using 'edit_screen_depth 16'. it makes dromed flash black every time i move the mouse. any suggestions? right now, i just deal with ugly textures and go ingame to check things out...

Quote Originally Posted by daniel
    I'm having a problem with using 'edit_screen_depth 16'. it makes dromed flash black every time i move the mouse. any suggestions? right now, i just deal with ugly textures and go ingame to check things out...
    Are you sure that you are not falling into a solid brush or have you tried this
    If you are running Thief 2 you should remove the semicolon ( from the line ;safe_texture_manager in the file user.cfg which you should open with Notepad.
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...#texturememory
    Last edited by slipknot; 24th Apr 2005 at 02:38.
    New T2 FM In Progress (Unite The Dead) 98% Completed
    Add me as a friend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/shanemullan
    Karras (Rust In Peace)

Thief Gold FM's not working anymore

I need direction from one of the Dark Loader experts. I can play any Thief II in or out of Dark Loader or any Thief II FM, no problem. I can play Thief Gold in or out of Dark Loader, but when I try to play any of the Thief Gold FM's that I've down loaded and played before I get an error that tries to send the problem to Micro Soft, like they would be any help. I've down Loaded Dark Loader v4.1 and reinstalled over the old version but still have the same old problem. Anyone have a similar situation in the past? Thanks in advance.
    2nd Story Man

Beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate,
    But thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

this thread is for faq development and announcing new tutorials and resources for including in the faq, your question is most appropriate in the fan mission forum.

26. Why doesn't DromEd display my book text?

Posted by Nameless_voice:
    Custom book texts will not be displayed if there is no Strings folder in your Thief path, so make sure to have one at all times, even if it is empty.
    __
    I don't really get what that means...can someone elaborate, please?

ok, he's talking about if you make text for a book, you need to have a folder called "strings" in your thief "path", or folder. The text itself is a type of file that you would put into the strings file so the book would work.(i think) Its been a long time since i've done anything with thief so im rusty on my knoweldge of this stuff, but i hope that answers your question.
    My Thief FM Website
    "Those pies had enough grease to drop a Burrick!"

When you create the .str file that contains the text to be displayed in a book, that file belongs in the Thief2\books folder (possibly Thief2\books\english - or any other supported language), yet you also need to have a Thief2\strings folder (even if it's empty) for the text to actually be displayed.

yes, thats it, the str file. Thanx R Soul, nice save.

Of course, your strings folder won't be empty once you package up for Darkloader... if you want it to work, that is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast