TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want some gizmos?

Anyone want some gizmos?

I was just looking through my collection of old gizmo test missions, mostly for DromEd 1, and decided to write a list of some of the more interesting ones.
    Is anyone interested in seeing any of these, and should I spend half an hour compiling them all into one Thief 2 test map?

(From DromEd 1)

- Player getting drunk
    This never really worked.

- Spiritual guide
    A spirit that guides you to a location.

- Predator
    A nasty critter with a shoulder cannon that shoots at you while he's attacking you in melee combat. Strange.

- Follower
    A fellow thief AI who can be ordered to follow the player, blackjack guards, carry away the bodies, and go to a predefined waypoint.

- Lights (AIs who turn them back on when they are off)
    A nice trick.

- Killed By Mage
    An in-game cutscene...
    A thief runs along in blackness, then a mage appears in front of him and kills him with a fireball.

- FrogRace!
    Endless fun gambling on frogs' quickjumping skills.

- Portal
    Some really nice particle effects

- Falling Platforms
    This is a bit buggy.
    Platforms that woble for a few seconds when the player walks on them, and then fall down.

- Arresting the player (2)
    Great fun, but it does not work too well.

- Gravedigging
    It does look a bit like start-stop animation...

- Spotlight-eyed player
    Deus Ex's Light aug? There's also an AI version...

- Dart Thrower
    This would have looked a lot better if the motion editor had existed at the time...

- Catapult
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Splat! (Thief has better physics than Hexen 2, you know...)

- NV

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i would love gizmos, i'm working on a few myself, i'm thinking about building some demos after my next mission is over with (maybe another week)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice
    A nice trick.

- Gravedigging
    It does look a bit like start-stop animation...
    I could use both of these if they port to T2. On the first, I'm presuming it's somehow done automatically via the archetype and not using extra objects?

I definitally think you should make them available to Thief 2... they would get a MUCH higher demand I think (much better editor).

I will definitly use them if not just for fun!

~Dave

- Player getting drunk
    This never really worked.

- Spiritual guide
    A spirit that guides you to a location.

- Follower
    A fellow thief AI who can be ordered to follow the player, blackjack guards, carry away the bodies, and go to a predefined waypoint.

A nice trick.

- Falling Platforms
    This is a bit buggy.
    Platforms that woble for a few seconds when the player walks on them, and then fall down.

- Catapult
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Splat! (Thief has better physics than Hexen 2, you know...)

- NV
    I'm interested to know about these. I was planning on giving the Player the ability to get drunk in "A guard called Benny", but I didn't have the time to do it. How did you make the AI carry a body? Is this a totally scripted sequence or can it be done to affect every AI in a mission without speciall scripting on each AI?

gimme!
    I'd be delighted to taketh a look at thy stuff milord.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
    I'm interested to know about these. I was planning on giving the Player the ability to get drunk in "A guard called Benny", but I didn't have the time to do it. How did you make the AI carry a body? Is this a totally scripted sequence or can it be done to affect every AI in a mission without speciall scripting on each AI?
    The partner bit is by far the most complicated gizmo! The guy could KO and pick up anybody, but really I would have needed a new 'carrying' model for each type of carryable person, which I never got around to.

I think the AIs turning the lights back on was simple enough, and could be archetyped. I'd have to look.

It was the player who was digging in the gravedigging gizmo, not an AI, I might point out. (Not sure which you thought.)

- NV

I Cannot Read Instructions
    Do you think I could have the Dromed 1 files? Some of those sound interesting.

I don't have enough space on my website for them (most of them have gamesys files), and some of them are hard to get at (mainly the partner gizmo.)
    If you have Thief 2, you're probably better off waiting for me to port them.

[EDIT: I've almost finished porting them all to Thief 2, with the exception of the partner (because he's too complicated), the lights (see below), and one two less interesting ones (dart thrower, etc.)]

Player getting drunk
    The original method was to put an AI into the Player object and alert it, so that it started to investigate. This would cause the player to be unable to control Garrett at all, but the AI would make him wander around randomly and hiccup.
    I'm using a different method in the Thief 2 gizmos mission.

Lights
    The script that this relied on is not in Thief 2!
    It looks like I'll have to find another way.

The 'partner' was in the Thief 1 version of The Brotherhood Of Shadows, and was never ported to T2 because I could never really fit him/her into the plotline, and also because I haven't worked on BoS in ages.
    He worked via a very unusable 'control panel' that was teleported in front of the player's view and had all these buttons such as 'Follow me', 'Drop waypoint' (at the player's feet), 'Goto waypoint', 'Pickup/drop body', 'Take one step backwards', and 'Attack Mode'.
    The attack mode worked by allowing the partner to see enemies (normally he was blind), and so he would attack anyone he saw, and KO them if they didn't spot him first.
    Telling him to attack while he was carrying a body was fun, as he would try to knock people out by hitting them with the unconsious body.

- NV
    Last edited by Nameless_Voice; 23rd Aug 2004 at 20:01. Reason: because it wasn't necessary to make a new post

Okay, the T2 demo mission is finished, but its ~2MB, and I don't have enough space on my website.
    (Only ~1.5MB using ACE or RAR - if only Darkloader supported them...)

Anyone willing to host it?

Here's a list of the gizmos I've managed to port:
    Gambling on frog races
    Diggable graves
    A portable, narrow-beamed "Theives' Lantern"
    A portal
    A spirit that guides you to a location
    Falling platforms
    Moveable banners
    Alcohol that gets the player drunk
    A working catapult

- NV

YAY! Looking forward to it.

Diggable graves
    Thanks! This will come in real handy in my King Abedzen's Tomb mission.

The Spiritual Guide and The Portal sounds great,i will be using them in my upcoming T2FM.
    Add me as a friend on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/shanemullan
    Karras (Rust In Peace)

Okay, I've sent it to thiefmissions.com.
    Enjoy!

- NV
    Last edited by Nameless_Voice; 26th Aug 2004 at 14:19.

Is this available to download yet?

He doesn't appear to have it availiable yet...
    I'd offer to email it to you, sluggs, but I don't think attachments ~2MB are such a good idea...

- NV
    Last edited by Nameless_Voice; 31st Aug 2004 at 15:07.

You could try! I have had a few big email attachments before. Go ahead and try. I'm bored right now and want something to play with!

What, my dance machine didn't keep you entertained?

Why sure it did and it helped me too. I've already changed a motion in my FM to one of the others.

[As the mission is availiable at www.thiefmissions.com, this post has now been removed]
    Last edited by Nameless_Voice; 7th Sep 2004 at 16:17.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    holy bandwidth usage

Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

seems like we all wanted these gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
    Somehow, I'm not surprised.
    I guess this means "one other person has already looked at this file this hour."

I've been unable to download it as yet! NV, i can host it for you once i can get it and post the link here. Once i can get it that is!

I reduced the size a bit by using WinRAR, but Hotmail probably won't let me send it now, either.

If anyone has an email account that will let them send something that big, could they please send it to sluggs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast