TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Where DID I find that key?

Where DID I find that key?

In the second level of Theif II, it tells me to leave the safety-deposit box key back where I found it. I don't even remember where I picked it up! Anybody know?

It varies on your difficulty. Either in the tool shed on the outside roof thing, or in one of the officies. Just try dropping it around, you'll know when you find it.

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by runawayjim
    In the second level of Theif II, it tells me to leave the safety-deposit box key back where I found it. I don't even remember where I picked it up! Anybody know?

The "second" mission in T2 is Shipping and Receiving. No safedeposit key here. The key location is chosen at random. Following is a list of locations:

1:Table third floor west tower.
    2: Workroom outside catacombs under a torch.
    3: Office second floor of the church.
    4: Try the podium at the altar.
    5: In the closet west of the #4.
    6: In a shed on the roof over the acolytes quarters.
    7: The guard quarters.
    8: The acolytes quarters.

The mission is number 9 5, Eavesdropping.
    Last edited by theBlackman; 31st Aug 2004 at 17:24.

I see the problem. TheBlackman, he's playing 'theif 2', whereas you're talking about 'Thief 2'

==Navyhacker006
    "A Turkey and Gravy flavored Soda?"

Eavesdropping, Mission 5.

Ahhh, the fun part.

Okay, if you're playing on "Expert" the key will be found in any of 14 different locations depending on what is said in the eavesdropped conversation. Really, you've got two choices:

1. go to The Circle Of Stone And Shadow - Keeper's Chapel - Walkthroughs - Thief II - Eavesdropping and check out the list of the 14 different locations the key might have been in. Trial and error until you find the dropspot.

2. Reset the level and start over (probably more worth it to do that).

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    Eavesdropping, Mission 5.
    Correct, fingers fumbled the number pad. Correction made. Thanks.

Damn - the walkthrough only lists 8 or so key locations, and I tried dropping my key on each of these places, to no avail (I expect to hear a 'objective completed' jingle) - I really don't fancy to retart the mission, since it took me forever. Any ideas?

I played this mission with conversation for 2000 maybe 3000 times (ever time), but my key location skips catacombs (always skips - total 0 keys for catacombs). I have buggy game? or this is intentional?

Probably a bug - the key can be placed in locations 1 to 9. The one in the crypt is location 10. The reason for emphasizing 'probably' is that LGS may have originally had 10 as their random number upper limit, and then reduced it to 9 so that the players would never have to enter the crypt to fulfil this compulsory objective.

I'd say it was intentional. I somehow cannot say Karras saying "You will find the safety deposit box key in the haunted crypt."

There's a dead Mechanist down there with a key (see my previous post). It could be that the haunting only started very recently, and perhaps the Hammerite spirits were disturbed by the presence of these Mechanists.

In this video in description ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOf2LSfHXsg ) there are mentioned 10 locations. I had 9 locations but never this 10. location, hmmm, strange.

In res/snd/karras there is indeed a voice line, "You will find the safety deposit box key in the catacombs." So I guess LGS decided not to include it even though it was planned.

I've had more than 70 playthroughs in the past year, and not once had the catacombs location. I've also wondered whether the location is picked purely at random, as it seems that some got given noticeably fewer times (eg Acolytes Quarters). But could be mistaken.

Actually just listened to the sound files and not only did I never get the catacombs one, I never got the kitchen, gallery, storage shed or the loft locations. Either some amazing fluking has been going on, or they have all been removed.

The Eastport Mechanist Seminary doesn't even have a kitchen, gallery, storage shed, or loft, so of course you'll never get those locations. My guess is that these sound files are leftovers from an earlier build of "Eavesdropping." On the other hand, maybe the area above the 2F office is the loft in question, but there isn't a key there to be replaced by the deposit box key.

Regarding the catacombs location, it actually makes sense why that location also goes unused. The only key available down there is on the body of a Mechanist slain by one of the haunts. It can be presumed that the Mechanists either don't know he's dead yet, or they're too afraid of the haunts to retrieve the body, so why would Karras tell Feagan that he left the deposit box key on one of his dead followers? It would also raise the question of how said Mechanist entered the catacombs at all if he was holding the deposit box key instead of the catacombs key.

More practically, if the catacombs location was chosen you'd lose the key to the factory area, cutting out one of the routes a player could take.

On another note, always wondered where Karass and co actually disappear to. Unless if there is an underground exit are they meant to be staying in the meeting hall section for the rest of the mission?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmodule999 View Post
    I played this mission with conversation for 2000 maybe 3000 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I've had more than 70 playthroughs in the past year
    Wow, people out there be playing a whole lot of Thief 2.