TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 114 123456111621263136414651101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod

The Dark Mod

The Dark Mod - http://www.thedarkmod.com/

A total conversion for Doom 3 allowing creation of Thief-like missions, complete with new AI, graphics, sound and other resources. Many fan-created missions are already available to play!

Also presenting DarkRadiant, the bespoke editor for all your mission making needs!

http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

This megathread was originally a promotional/recruiting thread in the early days of the project - the mod is now released so head to the end of this thread for latest updates and discussion.

The project still needs volunteers to help develop the mod further!

Join in at the official forums at www.modetwo.net/darkmod

ARCHIVE POST BELOW THIS LINE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For DOOM ]I[

Coming....when it's done.

Concept Sketch 1 (Thief character)

Thief Model WIP

Texture test room mock-up

Last edited by Fingernail; 11th Aug 2010 at 11:38. Reason: Updating to reflect years of stuff.

I LOVE that window!

OOOHhoohhh. Sexay!

man you people get to work too fast! Rock on!

Erm ... maybe I'm a little bit under-informed about the dark mod, but ... is this going to be a PvP multiplayer stuff like Thievery, or is it going to be single player (also)?

More like Singleplayer mostly & multiplayer maybe/also.

The idea is for people to be able to make fan missions for Thief 3. In effect. Because the editor probably won't be forthcoming from Eidos, we have to improvise. In fact, the Doom 3 engine is superior in many ways to the Thief 3 engine, aside from AI and lightgem programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    More like Singleplayer mostly & multiplayer maybe/also.

The idea is for people to be able to make fan missions for Thief 3. In effect. Because the editor probably won't be forthcoming from Eidos, we have to improvise. In fact, the Doom 3 engine is superior in many ways to the Thief 3 engine, aside from AI and lightgem programming.
    Then it sound more than interesting. I rarely play MP, but I'm interested in thief-like SP experience with Doom3 engine. If you manage to make it right, it might be a good excuse for buying Doom3...
    (too bad that the SystemShock2 remake cannot be made - that would have been another good excuse)

Actually, the System Shock one is going ahead. The team had to (at the firm request of EA) remove all official SS terms though. It is now called Scarlet Shard (or something like that, don't quote me).

That window looks simply amazing!! Damm, keep up the fine work lads!

Cheers,
    -Johan

lol, I hope no one has any objections over me posting this...

THIS is a map I've started using the new textures we've imported into the engine.

The mod is definately off to a good start in my opinion. Once the SDK arrives we'll really get to show off all the talent that's on the team.

Brilliant. I hope this project succeeds.

Someone should make sure the dinks at Eidos become aware that their refusal to release an SDK will ultimately result in fewer sales of TDS and more sales of Doom 3.

Fantastic! Looks great! I hope you guys suceed in completing this mod.
    The best of luck!

Ahhh, I see we're posting some teaser material. Yup, I'm in awe of the talented people we've got in the group. I've got a lot to learn from these guys.

Can't wait till I get to do some work on the voice sets.

Well you guys have so far impressed me and I wish you the best of luck. Currently BlackCatGames is making Night-Blade for UT2k3 and working on the last patch for Thievery 1.5. You guys can get ahold of them at blackcatgames.com. Maybe after they're done with their project they'd be all over yours for multiplayer!

Thievery is a great multiplayer mod that has no rival atm.

Thief never looked so good. Even if there is an editor released for TDS you people should definitely continue this project, it just looks and sounds like it'll be great.

Is that window actually light-sourced and translucent and whatnot? Because if so, I might finally have a reason to upgrade.

Wow, that's really interesting, taffers! This community never ceases to amaze me!

I was under the impression that the sound propagation and the lighting engine, and the AI routines in TDS are highly unique, developed just for that game. How're you going to address those in the mod?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage anyone, but it just seems to me that what you're trying to do might be a monumental undertaking.

Still, good luck! One thing that this community isn't lacking is talent and creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    Wow, that's really interesting, taffers! This community never ceases to amaze me!

I was under the impression that the sound propagation and the lighting engine, and the AI routines in TDS are highly unique, developed just for that game. How're you going to address those in the mod?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage anyone, but it just seems to me that what you're trying to do might be a monumental undertaking.

Still, good luck! One thing that this community isn't lacking is talent and creativity.
    well, black cat managed all the lighting and stuff in thievery, which used the original ut engine, so i can't imagine it to be that hard...

Previously Important
    Um... yeah.

Implementing radically different things (like decent sound propagation) in existing engines is usually pretty easy if the engine has been developed with modding in mind. Figuring out how to implement radically different things is frequently another story altogether.

Thievery's sound propagation, for example, represents a pretty sideways bit of intuition as far as "How are we going to do that?" goes.

I'm really interested to know how BlackCat did it. Sometimes you can tell they've used some tricky things to get the UT engine to do it. Like sometimes, when you turn a corner quickly, one or two objects in darkness will go "Oops! We're supposed to be dark! Quick! He's looking!" and you see them fade into black, only for a second though.

It makes me wonder what kind of fancy scripted objects they've got floating around in the level, to "fake" sound propagation, AI light/dark perception, etc.

ThieveryUT

Not much faking going on.

Main trick is that we use pathnodes (which are used by AI to navigate the level) to propagate dynamic sound events, so sounds travel a bit more realistically.

AI light/dark perception is handled in probably the same way as in Thief. Unless you mean how the bots light up flares in dark areas, which is just applying the vis check to them as well as on Thieves.

The objects taking a split second to fade properly is a "feature" of the UT engine, nothing to do with us.

Doom 3 has Surround sound EAX 4, so one assumes it's already pretty much in place.

This was due to Carmack's shadow code being identical to a method patented by our audio-friends Creative Labs. So instead of suing his ass, they let him keep his cool graphics code but made him put in a good audio engine with support for all their hardware.

Is there water in Doom 3? I mean REAL water, not TDS' kind of water...

There will be.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrog
    Is that window actually light-sourced and translucent and whatnot? Because if so, I might finally have a reason to upgrade.
    It isn't in that screenshot. But you've given me an idea. It is certainly very possibly to do this in the D3 Engine, as is water.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail
    Doom 3 has Surround sound EAX 4, so one assumes it's already pretty much in place.

This was due to Carmack's shadow code being identical to a method patented by our audio-friends Creative Labs. So instead of suing his ass, they let him keep his cool graphics code but made him put in a good audio engine with support for all their hardware.
    I have this sudden urge to call that bullshit.

But I'll refrain until I know more.

EAX is nice and all but do sounds actually travel around the corners properly in Doom? For the little I've played, I haven't had the chance to explicitly notice this.

And I just don't buy that lawsuit part.