TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 62 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2826

Thread: The Dark Mod

We're still on course for an autumn release so anytime September to November. We're hoping the early part of this period but nothing we can do but keep working on it.

Various FM makers are working on about a dozen small missions but FMs will be separate downloads as and when they are finished. At least two or three of these should be ready by the time Dark Mod is released. There are also some larger FMs being worked on but these won't be ready for a few months. I'm hoping to finish mine by about Christmas. But once Dark Mod is released then others can start producing FMs so hopefully there will be a modest flow of FMs.

This is great news, Fidcal! I can't wait for the release and the FMs.
    Last edited by Yandros; 19th Aug 2009 at 07:37.

It's exciting to think what FMs will be made in the future. At the moment we are at the stage of the very first FMs in Thief 1. Looking at how Thief FMs progressed in quality there are going to be some amazing TDM FMs in years to come as we learn new tricks.

@Fidcal: has the feel of the Dark Mod changed much since the alpha? beta? level a while ago? I played it back then and felt that on my machine it controlled somewhat more clunkily than Thief 3, although this may well have been a problem with my Doom 3 setup. I'm definitely looking forward to TDM, though!
    Last edited by Thirith; 19th Aug 2009 at 08:49.

Yes if you mean AI behaviour and animation then it's much smoother and natural. AI crouch to examine dead bodies, reach out to open and close doors, sit down and stand up, lie down and get up etc., draw weapons and put them away. There are idle animations like sneezing or rubbing some dirt off a sleeve, stretching an aching back, that sort of thing. And animations work sitting down which is great. Not that it's perfect yet. One thing is when turning on the spot the AI spin 90 degrees. That will have a proper leg animation one day but I don't think it will be in Release 1. But the basics are there and very convincing in gameplay.

Presumably future releases will be backwards compatable, i.e. fan missions created for v.1.0 will still work with v.1.7 ish? Also, has the Fan Mission loading been tried with GarrettLoader yet, or is it being done by hand at the moment?

Am definitely looking forward to this, I have my Doom 3 ready and patched. I have a vague idea of the difficulty involved from other mods/projects and my own limited coding experience, so big thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Yes if you mean AI behaviour and animation then it's much smoother and natural. AI crouch to examine dead bodies, reach out to open and close doors, sit down and stand up, lie down and get up etc., draw weapons and put them away. There are idle animations like sneezing or rubbing some dirt off a sleeve, stretching an aching back, that sort of thing.
    [drool][/drool]

Man, gonna be awesome to have AI feel much more lifelike with these simple tasks... I mean, I felt in thief it was lacking that AI could not go to sleep, and wake up when they want, or sit. (Yes, you can make them sit, but it looks awkward.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    Presumably future releases will be backwards compatable, i.e. fan missions created for v.1.0 will still work with v.1.7 ish?
    Yes, that is a big priority. That virtually defines when TDM can be released. All the main values like mantle height, crouch height etc and a thousand other things, will be finalized so a future player cannot climb over a previously unclimbable wall. Of course, there can never be an absolute guarantee but every effort will be made to manage the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    Also, has the Fan Mission loading been tried with GarrettLoader yet, or is it being done by hand at the moment?
    The Dark Mod includes its own FM manager. The player just drops the download into an fms folder and runs Dark Mod.

[edit] I should add that it is possible for GarrettLoader to integrate if any players want all FMs started from one manager. But when launching a Dark Mod FM from GL you then go to The Dark Mod menu list where the FM that GL 'installed' is now current. The other TDM FMs show in the list but 'run this mission' will run the FM made current by GL. And GL could detect if a different FM is installed via the TDM menu. So it is possible.
    Last edited by Fidcal; 19th Aug 2009 at 11:46.

The Dark Mod includes its own FM manager. The player just drops the download into an fms folder and runs Dark Mod.
    Short question: Is it possible to change the FMs folder, so I can store the fms in a different place and TDM still loads the missions?

Short answer: No.

Dark Mod only looks in darkmod/fms but you could certainly store all your Dark Mod FMs elsewhere and move one into the fms folder as needed. For instance, GarretLoader could store them elsewhere then when the player selects an FM it could move just that one into darkmod/fms, make it current, then launch Dark Mod and you then start the mission much like you do in Thief.

We've added three new vocal sets. Hear examples here: http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/inde...ces#Vocal_Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    We've added three new vocal sets. Hear examples here: http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/inde...ces#Vocal_Sets
    OUTSTANDING vocals!

Really nice work.

Various FM makers are working on about a dozen small missions but FMs will be separate downloads as and when they are finished. At least two or three of these should be ready by the time Dark Mod is released. There are also some larger FMs being worked on but these won't be ready for a few months. I'm hoping to finish mine by about Christmas. But once Dark Mod is released then others can start producing FMs so hopefully there will be a modest flow of FMs.
    Great great, so great!

Thanks for the news.

We are all waiting

We're still on course for an autumn release so anytime September to November. We're hoping the early part of this period but nothing we can do but keep working on it.
    \o/

September feels good to me....many great games that I cannot currently think of were released in September...

It's a natural and nice time for new beginnings...

It's hard to tell who's getting more excited, the actual Mod team bringing their work to fruition after so long, the beta-mappers anxious to get their FMs out there for people to play, or the fans anxious to play them. I'll go with (d) All of the above. Everyone wins with this one.

With some help from Biker, I'm finally about to order a video card from NewEgg so I can play TDM with a decent framerate, in preparation for the release! GO GUYS!

Will the Dark Mod work without the 1.3.1 patch?

No, it needs the patch.

Which is why I have not been able to play it yet, my brother, a notorious pirate (arr!) gave me a cracked doom 3, not very good in itself. But I will, when I get enough money, buy myself a CD copy of the game to play this.

Keep in mind that "enough money" is $5 plus shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Also, the patch is something you download for free.
    Click the "1.3.1 Point Release" link under the "Doom 3" heading on the right-hand bar of this site: http://www.idsoftware.com/
    Last edited by demagogue; 23rd Aug 2009 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by meazum View Post
    Which is why I have not been able to play it yet, my brother, a notorious pirate (arr!) gave me a cracked doom 3, not very good in itself. But I will, when I get enough money, buy myself a CD copy of the game to play this.
    Why is that a problem? Patch it and play.

Too bad.
    Last edited by pwyll; 23rd Aug 2009 at 23:01.

jtr7
    Does this not fall under "warez"? It used to be so clear-cut.

You guys realize talking of warez, illegal downloads, whatever you call it, is not allowed around these here parts, right? *waggles finger back and forth*

LOL Pirates

Disclaimer: Yeah I know I'm not a mod, but felt the need to say that. And I was halfway joking anyway. But I don't condone illegal downloads really.

jtr7
    Oh wait! Was the source code released?

Page 62 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107112 ... LastLast