TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please with Horns of Canzo pt. 1: A Long Way Up

help please with Horns of Canzo pt. 1: A Long Way Up

were do i get the water and fire keys from because i have the air key and iv used the earth key and taken the gem but iv gone around in a big circle and i dont no were 2 go( HELP PLEASE )
    Last edited by shadowrevan; 10th Sep 2004 at 12:44.

Fire key

spoiler:
    You have to go all the way through the burrick forest over a bridge and across a quicksand pool. I would suggest you do other things first, and if i remember the water key is in the tavern's wine room.

thank u maloo and thanks for replying so quick

is part 2 out there yet ????
    Last edited by shadowrevan; 10th Sep 2004 at 14:04.

No. You'll have to wait awhile for that, I think.

He's currently working on part two. He can't be with us again properly yet as he moved and lost his Internet connection. He does pop in when he can using a relative's PC from time to time. (Actually he justs pops in to check up on us all, especially me, making sure i'm a good boy)

lol

Hopefully it'll be out by Christmas. That would make one HELL of a Christmas present for all of us. It may take longer though, considering how perfect Pt1 was. Check out the walkthrough at thiefmissions.com, too. Nightwalker and Ffox did a fantastic job on it!

you should be a very optimistic person... hehe
    anyway that's the plan...

in this exact moment i'm going to move my flesh and bones to a new house... this would mean a forced pause.

in the mean time i've builded a nicy false/3d map of the village zone.
    ...if the Gods will help me and if i will be lucky the beta release will be ready for christmass, but only to be tested by the beta team !

bye bye for now....

This mission is absolutely stunning. I particularly like
    spoiler:
    the axe and the multiplying nymph
    !!!!

I have one BIG problem, though.
    spoiler:
    The quicksand area is just ridiculous. How on earth do you cross it? I thought that maybe I could rope arrow onto a ledge but that didn't work. The very idea of going across, even with a speed potion, seems crazy because I don't even get three-quarters of the way over before the quicksand sucks me in......and I've tried keeping my head up, too. Is this there some kind of secret technique or something that will help me?

Up until this point, the difficulty levels were perfectly judged.
    Hammerite Imperium Writer and Voice Actor inc. Oblivion mods - Lost Spires, Origin of the Mages Guild, Gates to Aesgaard & Silgrad Tower

Ibsen's Ghost

spoiler:
    IIRC, you walk around the edges of the quicksand pool, but quickly as you can still get sucked in

That's not doing any good at all, I'm afraid. In fact, the results are a whole hell of a lot worse.

I've tried angling my approach to a 45 degree angle, which normally speeds Garrett up, and then jumping all the way. One time I managed to get right to the lip of the opening by drinking a speed potion and then perfectly timing my jump into the quicksand before jump-charging all the way at an angle. This is my absolute best effort and I don't think I can do any better, but every time that do get close, something seems to stop me getting up. I keep trying to right myself so that I'm facing the opening and should be able to mantle up but he simply will NOT get up there, whether by normally skilled handiwork or by pounding the keys in total bloody frustration.......

This is what we came up with for the walkthrough:

On the far side of the bridge, you'll see a lake of quicksand. Drink the speed potion you found in the shed (or eat a magic mushroom) and run or kangaroo hop to the far side. Keep looking up to keep your head above the surface as much as possible and walk up the ramp on the far side into a tunnel with a river of lava down the middle and a steam jet shooting out. Turn left, walk along the side staying up away from the lava, go around the corner and out the far end.

NB - Walk up the ramp.

Naturally, I've read through the walkthrough but I can't say that it helped, unfortunately. Walking just drives me further and further into the quicksand. I keep on trying again and again and it's still not getting me anywhere

I've had this problem before with really superb FMs that are trying to push the difficulty levels. Jumping, for example, is agony in Thief. If I created an FM, I would never have any jumping puzzles in it because the capacity for jumping is just really poor and it's just a hard, dull slog which has nothing to do with skill or strategy, which is what Thief is renowned for.

If you ask me, if any beta-testers come to a point where you have to spend DAYS just getting ONE thing right, then they should nudge the Dromedder because this is just NOT fun

Consequently, this one goes down on my growing list of quality but seriously flawed missions.
    Hammerite Imperium Writer and Voice Actor inc. Oblivion mods - Lost Spires, Origin of the Mages Guild, Gates to Aesgaard & Silgrad Tower

Have you tried drinking the speed potion and going around the edge of the quicksand by hugging the wall?

I normally take a splash when I do that. Maybe I'm not being careful enough but I try to hug the wall as much as I can whilst also going as fast as I can.

Edit - Okay, that didn't seem to work at all, but the amazing thing is that I tried jumping across in the way I described earlier and kept on going until I hit the slope and then hugged the wall around and I made it first time
    I think the lay-off may have done the trick. You know how you get so frustrated that it just won't happen and you have to try again another day?
    Last edited by Ibsen's Ghost; 7th Aug 2005 at 07:58.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not the infamous 'jumping puzzle o' death' routine!!!!!!!! This mission is fast losing my patience.

I'm a geriatric SOF - if I can do it, anybody with normal reactions should be able to!

hehe,

sorry Ibsen's Ghost, HOC1 was an experiment.
    In HoC2 all those problems were cutted.
    No more strange jumping situations....

If you liked HOC1 for HOC2 you will be crazy .

just a little patience........ i need more months to complete it...
    Last edited by sterlino; 9th Aug 2005 at 14:16.

Great news, Sterlino. Nice to see you're still around

Ghost

Big, hairy quicksand problem

I have a huge problem with the quicksand: the moment I touch it, Thief drops straight to the desktop!

Doesn't matter if I try to run through it, around the edge, or skip-jump it... bang, to the desktop, and Microsoft wants to know whether I want to send a report to them (that probably includes all my credit-card numbers).

What's causing this? Is there any way around it? Is there a cheat code for flying, so I get past this?

I'm using the version of Horns of Canzo that is currently up on Cheap Thief, the version whose filename is HornsOfCanzo_part1_ALongWayUp_deluxe.zip, and which was last updated 3 August 2004.

I was using an earlier version, the one titled HornsOfCanzo_part1_deluxe.zip, when I first had this problem; I copied my savegames, downloaded the newer one, loaded it up, copied back my savegames, and reloaded. It loaded up fine... but then the same thing happened: I touch the quicksand (after eating one of the "Beautyful mushrooms," the one that appears to be a speed potion), and my screen goes black and I get the program-unexpectedly-quit alert box.

Help! I hope I don't have to dump the savegames and play all the way from the beginning with the newer version; as I said, it's close enough that they loaded fine. Should I start from a little farther back, not actually across the bridge? Can I fly over, somehow? Is there a backdoor into that area? Or am I just totally hosed after over an hour of tough gameplay?

I know I got farther than this on an earlier version of the game, back when it was first released (and released and released and released ).

Edit: I have narrowed it down a bit. Spoilering up:

spoiler:
    When you first step off into the quicksand, there is a little shelf that runs along the near edge. However, when you move towards the opening at the other end, you drop off that shelf into the yellow, opaque water. When I do that, I don't drop to the desktop right away; I drown, but the game doesn't crash. But it seems that if I sink a little low, that's when I crash.

So if somehow I could manage to keep my head above water, I might be able to make it. The problem is that the moment I leave that shelf, no matter what I do, I seem to sink instantly above my head. At that point, it's just a question of whether I drown or crash to the desktop.

Any suggestions how I can keep my head above water? What I've tried so far: running fast, diagonal running, running with a speed mushroom, diagonal running with a speed mushroom, skip-jumping. So far nothing keeps my head above the waterline, and eventually I just drown -- or else I drift too low, and the game crashes.

Sigh. This is really frustrating.

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 8th Jan 2006 at 22:56.

I never experienced that problem but it seems several people have reported it in the last few days. Just using a speed mushroom always got me to the far side with no problems and no crashes. Maybe you could PM or email Sterlino?

I'm really sad when i read such those things, cause the making
    of hoc1 was really an hard process for a person like me that
    never touched an Editor before in his whole life.
    I hate to see that some players suffered about a thing that
    i created and that (initially) seems a good idea, but in fact
    the swamp zone and the climb zone in HOC1 was a really bad idea,it is bad
    for a thief's mission, but i realized that only after some months
    of job finished.
    Anyhow it's strange how for some players the swamp zone leads
    into a crash of the game.
    Times ago i decided that once i will finish the campaign surely
    i will cut off the time to re-build those two zone in HOC1, just
    because i think (problems apart) is a good mission and is not
    right that someone can't see all the job done only for a
    damned swamp.
    I will do it, but not now.
    so......
    what i can only say is a suggestion to pass throught that swamp:
    when you are on the entrance of the swamp deselect all the weapons
    and the tulz, drink a speed potion or eat a redmushroom (that is
    a speedpotion too) and simple WALK straight on the other side of the
    swamp. DON'T JUMP and don't exitate, simple go straight also if
    the water comes on your mouth... go on.
    If i remember well in the exact centre of the swamp there is
    a trouble:
    the swamp plane is (in dromed) a secret door with a physic modified
    with 0.001 of radius.Rarely It can happens that you will stuck on it in the
    centre of the swamp - that was my fault, the lack of experience
    makes me build that, today i can made it in a totally different way
    but at that time was my best solution.

really sorry for that, i dreamed about a perfect mission, but i think
    it was only a nice dream.

thanks to anyone that appreciate my mission with or without errors.

Sterlino

Thanks for the explanation, sterlino. Dafydd sent me a save from just before he crossed the swamp and it worked perfectly on my computer. I sent him the save after I had gotten across the swamp and he was able to continue the mission from that point.

Help!

Since first trying to play Horns of Canzo-I shortly after it was released, I ran into the same problem as others while trying to cross the quicksand; it crashed to the desktop. Finally I gave up on it. Something I seldom do. I had downloaded it twice; installed the correct scripts, and still the same problem.

Does anyone know if there is an updated fix for this? I have looked without success.

This is an otherwise excellent FM, and I would really like to play it to completion. Always enjoy Sterlino's clever work.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast