TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WaterWay Tunnel part 1 - Oct. 23/04

The WaterWay Tunnel part 1 - Oct. 23/04

Glub! Glub!

Has anybody gotten anywhere with this one? I thought I had found the way out
    spoiler:
    when I got to a book but it only got me an objective change to find ANOTHER way out.
    By this time, I had drowned so many times that I gave up for the time being out of frustration.

I've been to five areas and have two objectives checked off.

spoiler:
    The starting area, the church where I was able to get the Find Ezechiel's Place Objective checked off, the Tellaby's house, the FrogBeast/GasPlant area with the dead Thief where I got the Solve Tellaby Murder Objective checked off, and the Mine Bomb Doors which didn't accomplish anything. Plus there are the various places underwater with air pockets.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. The only objectives I have left are Loot and Don't Kill. I suppose there's more loot out there and that will finish the mission.

Anyone any good a rendering three dimensional maps in two dimensions? :/
    Last edited by Old Man; 24th Oct 2004 at 09:23.

Mission Impossible.

I have let Garrett drown at least 50 times now. The poor chap is so out of breath now that I have promised him a break from this mission.

I need the break as well.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

'Tis ashame. I like a little swimming but this is madness.

Nightwalker (RE: the other way out):

spoiler:
    I found a tunnel that leads to an "emergency exit" door with a lock box. You need the "emergency access" key from the hammer priest. The tunnel is near that area. However, the objective did not tick off when I found it. I think it has to be the last thing you do for it to work, and I still had other objectives to complete.

I am just swimming around randomly, trying not to drown. No idea where I am or where I'm supposed to go. It's a neat idea, but a map or a simpler path and maybe some more breath potions would have helped A LOT. Or, even better, a working diving helmet!

I agree.
    spoiler:
    I believe the emergency exit is the level end. I am playing on normanl-felix and do not have the 400 loot requirement.
    I know thats why it will not end, but I am tired of swimming through tunnels and drowning looking for it.

Sting

Archivist
    Hmmm
    Finally Garrett gets a mayor opportunity to show not only his thieving, but his swimming skills as well. By looking at the title it seems both Garrett and I can expect a lot of water. I like that!
    Blub blub
    Nice work Yohny Dowloading now!
    Last edited by The Phantom; 31st May 2005 at 08:44. Reason: Changed Lightningline to Yohny, who made the mission

i could only finish this one playing through dromed so i wouldn't die (which i did after drowning about 50 times).
    it seems there's only air bubbles if you take the proper route?
    i do look forward to whatever mission comes after that whole water maze...
    thanks for the fm, Yohny... looking forward to the rest

Well, I give up too.... I'm playing on garett and it is clear there IS no exit... I héave the emergency key with which I opened the emergency door (=dead end) and for the rest there is drowning...and drowning...and drowning.

I have the problem of getting stuck in the texture/solid brushes. Anyway I will come back to this FM later.

Bug for the author:

spoiler:
    After carefully mapping the level, I went to the Tellaby's house first - although I looked at the ghost's log and "new objectives" appeared when I did that, the objective to solve their murder didn't appear on the objectives screen. Similarly, when I went to Frog-land, the objective wasn't "cleared" (and no msg on screen). Then, I went to the blocked hallway, then the priest's to get the key, then the emergency exit, but the "find another way" goal did not check off. I was playing in the easiest mode (400 loot goal, because I knew I could get that).

- prjames

Come on guys! It's Garrett Junior..

The little brief said it was a follow on to Old Bad Fellows.

Ghost

Yeesh.

I tried mapping the tunnels, but it's a real pain. I only found two breath potions (in the first bubble-room, at the bottom). I found the shack with the murdered family, the church (all I found was a key and a little bit of loot), and the emergency exit... but it's really hard to get from place to place (I can't find my way to the shack in a different save, for example). I couldn't exit the church doors, because I didn't have the key; God only knows where it might be.

I'm sorry, this is really a pain, and I'm just not getting anywhere except frustrationville. Adios, WaterWay Tunnel.

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    I'm sorry, this is really a pain, and I'm just not getting anywhere except frustrationville. Adios, WaterWay Tunnel.
    You may sign me in on the quitters' list. I'll wait patiently for a revised version

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyoldman
    You may sign me in on the quitters' list. I'll wait patiently for a revised version
    indeed.... OR I'll settle for a HUGE spoiler from someone who did got out....

Ghost
    Maybe I should take a run-through on Easy, hoping there will be a hundred breath potions, just to map the stupid map and figure out where stuff is. But still, I did a bunch of mapping (sacrificing Garrett about a hundred times) and couldn't find more than I posted last time.

I'm wondering if there aren't maybe secret doors and such that the author knows about and can use to get quickly from place to place, or else secret bubbles or somesuch. I sure didn't see any, but I was swimming as fast as I could the whole time.

Edit: I went back and tried some on Easy (whatever they call it... Felix?), and the only differences I saw were that you have more hit points and a smaller loot requirement. I found the same loot (158 or somesuch) and the same miserable two breath potions as on Expert (Garrett) difficulty.

This mission needed a lot more beta testing. Johnny C. Liar lists only two testers, Giraffe and Martin Disasterous-Flash, neither of whom I've ever heard of -- presumably because they're Czechs -- while most missions use five or six. And I wonder whether they weren't involved in the design, too... always a bad idea, as designers know all sorts of tricks and routes and such that the player cannot know going in.

Liar also writes the following: "Do't panic. Tunnels are long, but there are hidden BreathPotions and on the strategic positions are big bubbles of air. You have try and find the shortest way trought labyrinth. It is possible. Good luck."

Breath potions hidden where? Has anybody found any, other than the two in the first bubble room? I searched that church room pretty thoroughly, as well as the dry-land shack, and I didn't find any. I could easily have missed them, but if so, then lots of others will miss them, too.

I obviously can't get inside Liar's head, but while I was playing this, I felt like the author thought that the harder the mission, the better the mission... and if the mission were virtually impossible, that would be best of all! It didn't seem like "gameplay" was a consideration in designing this, or at least, it sat at the back of the bus while "ultra extreme difficulty" was driving.

I found only four bubbles: The starting bubble, where you first swim after the mission begins; call that Bubble1. The bubble with the diving helm; call that BubbleHelmet. Then there are two "interim" bubbles I found: one where the tunnel bends downward, but there is no choice of route; call that BubbleGasp. And the last is a bubble at a three-way intersection; once you're in the bubble facing back the way you came in, you can go straight, go right (which leads eventually to the church, if you make an "up" turn at the next intersection), or go down; I call this BubbleIntersection.

Has anybody else found other bubbles? And if so, how do you get to them? Old Man found a couple more places than I found -- I got to the church, but nothing checked off about finding Ezechial's place, so perhaps that's a different church (or Old Man somehow had the key to get out of the water-tunnel room); a place with frogbeasts and a dead thief; and a place with mine doors, whatever those are (does he mean the emergency exit, which opens via the key in the church?) Hm... maybe that's only one more place than I found.

Of course, I've never been able to find my way back to the shack since that first time, so I may as well add that to the list.

I notice that nobody posting here has gotten all that far anyway (without cheating via DromEd ) -- not even Nightwalker or Old Man. Something is drastically wrong with this mission.

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 28th Oct 2004 at 16:34.

IIRC, the find Ezhekiel objective checked off when I picked up the hanky. I had to blast the door beside the sleeping priest with a fire arrow but it opened okay. The hanky is on the floor in the room behind that door. Not too sure what finding a hanky has to do with Ezhekiel? I never did find the key.

And I suspect my bomb door is the security exit everyone else is talking about. There was a lockbox there. And a sign that said something about the key being in the Mine manager's office. But I didn't have the key so ...

Strafe-swimming helps a bit to get through the water tunnels. And there's a third Breath Potion on the dead thief by the gas plants and the frogbeasts.

That's all I can think of for now. I've moved on ...

Ghost
    But where are the frogbeasts, the gas plants, and the dead thief?

And where's the rest of the loot? On Expert, you need something like 1400!

Dafydd

Sorry, Dafydd, against my better judgement, I reloaded this mission and had another look around. My memory is that the frogbeast area is close to the Tellaby's house. But it took next to no time for me to remember why I'd moved on from this swimming and drowning and I never did find the frogbeasts this time.

I've been all over and found all areas mentioned but I got to say this mission is aggravating and not fun. I'm setting this mission in the I don't want to play this anymore pile..

metal dawn: You told us, you too think that this mission has some potential. I myself quit this level right in the beginning after drowning too often - I am way too unpatient (especially with a new mission by Christine arriving almost simultaeously) and I told you so. I perfectly understand your reason for no longer trying the Waterway. Where i cannot agree with you is your adjudging the poorly translated readables. The people who create FMs don't do it on a professional level and therefore cannot afford professional translators. Sure, Yohny C. Liar was a bit over-optimistic in judging his English language skills and might have been better off contacting some native speaker to translate his Czech texts. (Hint: I don't think the name of his website http://sweb.cz/Czechthiefguilt was meant to be a pun. If so do correct me). As happens quite often (even in RL), flaws in logic might be caused by faulty translation - cause you take words from a dictionary without knowing their correct context/cultural preferences. I could imagine him to welcome YOU to translate his stuff into English.
    It's hard enough for new talents not to be able to be compared with acknowledged masters of the trade. With some support and encouragement from the community they may some day become Dromed champs. So PLEASE quit discouraging them by more or less calling their work crap.

Sorry. Expect far too much and I know. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings too seriously.
    "Bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen, echt deutsch." *
    --Thomas Stearns Eliot
    *There's nothing Russian about me, I'm from Lithuania, and German through and through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast