TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: To the Fan Community...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Caped_Eluder
    Then how about "FleshED"

'cause TDS will be "fleshed out" by the creation of add-ons /FMs etc.

:/
    Well, Thief 1/2's engine is called "Dark", but the editor isn't "DarkED'...actually, I'm not sure where the 'Drom' came from.

As the official exe is 'T3ed', that's probably going to be what we call it.

I like FleshED, though...

==Navyhacker006

Quote Originally Posted by Navyhacker006
    actually, I'm not sure where the 'Drom' came from.
    The original game concept was called "Dark Camelot". Camel. Dromedary. DromEd. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Caped_Eluder
    Then how about "FleshED"

'cause TDS will be "fleshed out" by the creation of add-ons /FMs etc.

:/
    how about they waste not a single second on the name and release it as soon as they can

Quote Originally Posted by Datoyminaytah
    The original game concept was called "Dark Camelot". Camel. Dromedary. DromEd. Haha.
    Which also explains the whole Camel in-joke that's been mystifying me.

==Navyhacker006

I never really got that either. haha.

I wonder if - years from now - we'll have the vast quantity of FM's for TDS that exist for TDP and TMA.

That'd be great.

Keep up the hope!

How many people here can actually use any version of Unreal Ed 3.0?

It's not hard to learn, so get mapping peeps with UT2004 or Tribes: Vengeance.

No point getting excited about something you can't use.

Still Subjective
    Lots. Not as many as DromEd perhaps but a fair few. And DromEders will be able to make the transition.

I Cannot Read Instructions
    They had to learn Dromed largely from scratch and it hasn't stopped them from making some amazing missions. What reason is there to think they won't be able to use T3ed?

Don't forget that DromEd's interface is crap (in terms of convention). If we can use that, we can use anything.

I just saw this thread (rather late, I know, but then I've been entirely TTLG-less these past few months, for various reasons), and hot damn am I pleased .

GlasWolf, SubjectiveEffect, this is a testament to what you two in particular have nurtured since it's infancy. I only wish I had the capacity at the time to find the will within myself to stay involved, offer design ideas, get the word out, bang pots with spatulas outside of Eidos HQ, ...

If I'm anywhere on the mark, this could be the making of one excellent XBox to PC conversion EVAR!! But seriously, reading this thread gives me new hope for a Thief-modding community persisting into the gaming frontier. I need to kick myself for not visiting more often. And yet, TTLG wasn't the same after Thief 3 *introspective*...

indubitably,

deadman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpus
    I wonder if - years from now - we'll have the vast quantity of FM's for TDS that exist for TDP and TMA.

That'd be great.

Keep up the hope!
    Years from now, if we haven't bombed ourselves into oblivion with fantastic (and excessively-to-the-point-of-absurdity-powerful) weapons, all Thief FMs and OMs will probably be in a game engine so cool, you walk around in amazingly photo-realistic VR, though that thick Thief steampunk atmosphere is somehow still readily apparent, and AI act more like humans than humans do themselves (). In a short while from now, Unreal engine 3 will be out, and just looking at those demonstration videos had me drooling all over myself with the possibilities. Progressions like the new Unreal engine will be the downfall of "real life" and "moderate, restrained gaming" for all who come in contact. Man, it's going to be one deadly epidemic, but an enjoyable one at that . D'oh. I was just thinking. It'll also mean insanely expensive computers and video cards that make today's supercomputers look like pocketwatches. (to self: 'Everything's relative... Everything's relative... But what about the price?!')

deadman.

Lots, but not me though; Unreal Ed should be easier/friendlier, but it just repeatedly suceeds to piss me off. I haven't been able to make a brush so far. :I

I can handle Dromed just fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Navyhacker006
    I like FleshED, though...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWynd
    how about they waste not a single second on the name and release it as soon as they can
    Spoil-sport

Quote Originally Posted by Invisibility
    They had to learn Dromed largely from scratch and it hasn't stopped them from making some amazing missions. What reason is there to think they won't be able to use T3ed?
    I don't think they couldn't use a ue 3.0 variant i just think that everyone thinks it'll be a mere snap to recreate previous Thief games, levels with the editor.

I'm not interested in seeing people having their hopes dashed when they realise they have a whole heap to learn all over again anf that there are going to be limitations. I don't want to see the tools get released and then everyone cracks it because they are unwieldy (though how can they be more unwieldy then Dromed i don't know).

I don't think t3ed will be as user friendly as ue 3.0. And i think that a lot of tools might be missing that people will need for these grandiose convesions.

yeah, but we have some very talented people in the thief community, so who knows what could happen.

These might be the kind of limitations that you can overcome by simply using external programs... Don't forget that there were limitations in original DromEd as well (the scripts).

Quote Originally Posted by Brodieman
    I'm not interested in seeing people having their hopes dashed when they realise they have a whole heap to learn all over again anf that there are going to be limitations. I don't want to see the tools get released and then everyone cracks it because they are unwieldy (though how can they be more unwieldy then Dromed i don't know).
    I think that you can't really compare DromEd with modern Editors. The little I did I noticed that Dromed is rather easy to learn. Of course you have to know it's quirks, but I'm not talking about that. When you start learning it from scratch to the point where you can enter the gameworld the first time AND having nice results is pretty fast.
    To knock up a level with loot which looks ok you only take a few hours (of course this level would be uninhabited, but it still looks good. From my experience with Doom 3 it takes much longer to reach that point. And I doubt that there is much difference to UEd in that regard. But this is to be expected. The engines can do a lot more and this means you have to learn a lot more. I think that it will take much more stamina to create a simple FM with Ued than it took with DromEd.

Just my 2 cents (Eurocent ).

That's my experience as well, that Dromed was simple and fast, whereas new gen editors are slow but powerful

Jesus Fucking Christ! YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*starts slavering*

Quote Originally Posted by Komag
    That's my experience as well, that Dromed was simple and fast, whereas new gen editors are slow but powerful

Never could get the hang of some of it's more obscure feeling features/commands. I probably should of stuck with it.

With unreal though i have no trouble scriptting, mapping and even maya modelling new content levels i could knock up a basic lvl quicker than i ever could in dromed.

I'm not going to get my hopes up until i see what is included in the editing kit.

I'm not arguing whats the best/most featured editor i'm jusy saying that they are different and it's going to take time ued3.0 has some weird quirks as well.

With unreal though i have no trouble scriptting, mapping and even maya modelling new content levels i could knock up a basic lvl quicker than i ever could in dromed.
    Because you are used to it. But if you knew neither DromEd nor UEd I bet that you would be faster aquainted with DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk
    Because you are used to it. But if you knew neither DromEd nor UEd I bet that you would be faster aquainted with DromEd.

You may well be right. But seeing as i have no interest in dromed it's a moot point now

Just voicing my opinions.

You may well be right. But seeing as i have no interest in dromed it's a moot point now

Just voicing my opinions.
    No problem. Just wanted to point out that you can't compare Dromed with new editors and expect the same level of learning as you had with DromEd. I fear that this would mean that there will be less FMs with T3Ed than there were with DromEd, but I also expect the qualitiz of these FMs to be much higher then. Not meaning to say that all the FMs of DromEd were crap quality, quite on the contrary.

But we will see what people will do with it.

Well, I don't know - there are some pretty crappy Doom 3 FMs out now, I suppose because people can't be arsed to take the time to do a good job because it's so complex, but they still want to release something. Hopefully that won't happen in the Thief community, but I think it will. In other words, the range of FM quality will be a larger range I think

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast