TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift: From The Dark Mod Team!

Christmas Gift: From The Dark Mod Team!

Seasons Greetings Taffers!

New Horizon here to spread Holiday Cheer on behalf of The Dark Mod team. Our members have all been working especially hard since the release of the Doom 3 SDK on October 15th, 2004. We are delighted with the thought of bringing an alternative Thief Style gaming experience to your Windows and Linux PC's.

For anyone not familiar with Dark Mod, here is a little bit about us.

Dark Mod aims to release an Editing Toolset to the fan community by way of the Doom 3 editor. This will be accomplished by performing a total conversion of the Doom 3 Editing tools into a Stealth oriented gaming platform, inspired by Looking Glass Studios "Thief" series.This will allow the community to begin producing "Thief" Style fan missions with plenty of variety in models and equipment to choose from. In other words, you makes thems Sneaksie missions as youse seesie fits to makes thems!

Darkmod will include a few example missions with the Editors release to help explain the documentation. At a later date you should see either a campaign or series of stand alone missions from us to further demonstrate the possibilites of Dark Mod.

Now, before I get to the surprise I want to answer a few questions that have been sent our way recently.

1. Is there a 3rd person view? Third person is not supported at this time, we wish to provide a solid first person gaming experience. This does not rule out the possibility of it being added at a later date, but our primary goal is to create a solid gaming platform first!

2. Is wall flattening included? As of this writing, it's being considered.

3. Will you have a central hub for missions, like the city in TDS? Since we will initially be releasing a toolset this will likely not be the case. Fan Mission builders may end up creating this on their own, or you may see one in a later release. While we do not dismiss TDS as a source for inspiration our primary guidance comes from
    the Looking Glass Thief games.

4. Are there more movement speeds beyond Run, Walk, Creep? Too early to say yet really. We do want to explore other options as we're not bound by Thief rules, but at the same time we want to retain a certain familiarity.

5. What equipment from TDS will be included/not included? You will see the basic toolset or variations thereof...plus a few surprises. Oh and YES, that does include rope arrows!

6. Swimmable water? Yes.

Now, on to the surprise.

This surprise has been worked on in secret for several weeks by our member of many talents Tyrot and our equally talented Lead coder Sparkhawk, who wrote the concept for what you are about to see. Everyone on the team has worked extremely hard since we came together and I am proud to have watched our team grow stronger and more focussed as the months have passed.

The work of many talented team members has been put to excellent use for this present. I hope you all enjoy this gift to the community as much as we have. Happy Holidays YOU TAFFERS!! This one is for you.

DARK MOD TEASER

You will need the XVID codec to view this presentation.
    Last edited by New Horizon; 2nd Jan 2005 at 19:47.

Woot, gentlemen.

Woot.

Personally, I am not impressed. I was hoping to see demonstration of dynamic shadows and other such “improvements” which were not possible with DromEd, the reason essentially to create/use this toolset against the former. Really, what new is there in this trailer, graphically (the roaming City sections and such), which we have not seen using DromEd in other FM’s?? 25% of this teaser is jazzy flash and 15% is slideshow of concept art that was already on display on site…I hope to see some “real” content in near future which shows power of new Engine (or at least glimpses of Swimmable water and Rope arrow implementation). Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but I hope you take it with good spirit. I am just being honest.

That's why it's called a "teaser", it's not supposed to show real solid material, just a little tease to whet your appetite, early stuff, a little flashy stuff, it's exactly what it purports to be. But if your sentiment is along the lines of "We want more!" then I wholeheartedly agree
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya
    I was hoping to see demonstration of dynamic shadows and other such “improvements” which were not possible with DromEd,
    If you want that you can easily get a demonstration for this. We already have a full game ready featuring that effects. Just buy Doom 3 and run the game. You can see what the engine is capable of and you will have your technical demo.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but I hope you take it with good spirit. I am just being honest.
    The purpose of the teaser was not show something new. As you may be aware of, we are not working on the darkmod for such a long time and it would be really way to much expectation that we can, at this stage, show all the things that you mention, because there simply isn't enough time for it. It's not as if you click a few buttons and you have all this stuff.

But one thing the teaser shows for sure is, that we can deliver professional quality work in all areas. We can do excellent graphics (you all have seen the screenshots already), we have excellent texture artist, and this teaser shows that we also have professional quaility in music, animation and composition techniques.

And of course, to give you a little bit more than just a few screenshots.

When this idea was first pitched on these forums a few months ago, I thought it would die pretty quickly. You've all proven me wrong, and that's wonderful

I just might have to buy Doom 3!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komag
    That's why it's called a "teaser", it's not supposed to show real solid material, just a little tease to whet your appetite, early stuff, a little flashy stuff, it's exactly what it purports to be. But if your sentiment is along the lines of "We want more!" then I wholeheartedly agree.
    Not only I want more "real" stuff, but want to be teased in a way not already done before!! Its just not "teaser" anymore when you see something that was already on display previously [both concept art (on site) and the City roaming (previously done in DromEd), just gave me feeling of 'deja vu' than teasing my appetite] I was expecting a "teaser" of some SOLID NEW things...not showing ALL, but at least SOME and I think its a fair expectation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk
    Just buy Doom 3 and run the game. You can see what the engine is capable of and you will have your technical demo.
    What I wanted to see is that how the Dynamic shadows are being used to suit Thief style stealth game play when you weave it together all with classic Thief mechanics, and this meaning was very clear I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk
    The purpose of the teaser was not show something new.
    Oh sorry, I had following announcement in my mind while downloading this "teaser"

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    This surprise has been worked on in secret for several weeks by our member of many talents Tyrot and our equally talented Lead coder Sparkhawk, who wrote the concept for what you are about to see.
    Do you guys discuss among each other before posting something?? It just gets confusing, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Aditya
    What I wanted to see is that how the Dynamic shadows are being used to suit Thief style stealth game play when you weave it together all with classic Thief mechanics, and this meaning was very clear I think.
    Obviously this can be only done with a game. Of course we could have faked all the stuff to show how we imagined it to be, when we are finished. We have the tools to do this, and we have a pretty good idea how it will turn out. BUt as long as we don't have a working game this will not happen. And this takes some time.

Do you guys discuss among each other before posting something?? It just gets confusing, you know.
    I see no contradiction there.

New Horizon> "This surprise has been worked on in secret for several weeks"

AND

Sparhawk> "The purpose of the teaser was not show something new"

The first statement definitely raised much expectations, at least for me. Now I understand it was over created hype, if not contradiction.

Downloading now. Thanks for the present. Merry Christmas all.

Merry Christmas, taffers.

Aditya, this was prepared by two teammembers in secret from the rest of the team. They kept it well under wraps; I only saw it myself yesterday. It's not representative of anything really; looks & sounds lovely though.

And it's representative of the love and care that goes into this mod on a daily basis.

That is all; that you for your kind observations. And Merry Christmas to you.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone here.

It is indeed surprising to me that you too didn’t know about this. I was reading about the "surprise/gift" announcement from yesterday and downloaded the video (and Codec) with quite expectations going by the words and claims of the poster, but it came as a let down to me when I actually saw the video, which basically had nothing "surprising" to show. Before posting my reaction on forum however, I observed the video at least thrice, because I had this feeling my criticism will be taken either as to start a flame war or will be replied with arrogant answers, so I wanted to check and cross-check myself first. While I agree that it looks/sounds good, watching some fancy flash presentation was NOT the purpose for what I invested my time downloading it and therefore I felt cheated in the end. In any case, I am looking forward towards your future work but I will try not to get caught myself in the over-enthusiasm/hype of someone and get mis-leaded. Thanks.
    Last edited by Aditya; 25th Dec 2004 at 08:07.

Boo, yah

Well, it may not be an explosion of mind-blowing gameplay action, but given the amount of time since this mod was announced, it's excellent work. The trailer itself (technically) is awesome. Great job, guys.

Z

The teaser is very impressive. It shows the art direction the team is leading, which is very promising. The music is excellent, very thiefy! Of course it is pointless to expect any game-play footage at this time

The Dark Mod team:Keep up the good work

Hope you all enjoy the Teaser guys. Sparkhawk and Tyrot put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into getting the feel just right. We've come a long way in the three months since the SDK was released. I'm very proud of the quality work these two put forth and look forward to seeing these talents applied to cutscenes and briefings in the future. While the teaser uses existing material and some new ingame video captures it is also a representation of video and musical abilities of our enthusiastic member Tyrot.

Merry Christmas all.

Link to Hi-Res version of video has been added. Enjoy! Happy Holidays.

That was an exceptional video!!!

I know that this is indeed going to be a great mod, and my only reason to purchase Doom 3.

I'll post on the Circle.

You're embarrassing Ion Storm.

Nice work! Very convincingly put together, and shows the work you've done so far to those who haven't been following your progress closely or at all, which I think was the point of this teaser.

Good luck finishing the mod.

Very cool indeed. Thanks team!

The teaser was so impressive....obviously a hightly trained and dedicated group of folks working on this Dark Mod.....Personally, I can't wait!!!

Cudos !! I say BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!

you obviously do r o c k.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

-Darkness Falls-
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 22nd May 2005 at 00:38.

bikerdude

bikerdude

Sorry guys im with Aditya on this one, its nothing we havent seen on the circle already, just some flashy video effects, nice music and thats it.

Thanks for doinf something for xmas, that much was appreciated.

but time would better been spent on the mod itself.

ps. would it possible to remove the fists when the user has no weapons..? a thief would not walk around like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude
    a thief would not walk around like that..
    He wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude
    but time would better been spent on the mod itself.

ps. would it possible to remove the fists when the user has no weapons..? a thief would not walk around like that..
    Thanks for your feedback. Videos are very much a part of the mods development. We need cutscenes and briefings afterall. This was just a taste, don't expect us to reveal everything so early. You can rest assured there will be no fists. We're three months into development, sit tight...we're hard at work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast