TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: screenies of upcoming FM

screenies of upcoming FM

People seem to be ravenous for new FMs now-a-days.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some screenshots of my work-in-progress -- seems to be the popular thing to do. It's tentatively titled Mount Bafford. (basic storyline, if you care about that sort of thing: Bafford buys a mountain; meglomaniac that he is, he attempts to carve his likeness into its side; during excavation they find *something*; Hammerites get interested; you see where it's going...)

Since I'm still quite early in development, I'd love to hear what people think, positive and negative (whatever is constructive).

I realize I posted a lot of screenshots, so if you only want to look at a few, I'd recommend just the one's I starred.

pic 1- city
    pic 2 - waterfall
    pic 3- cave foyer
    pic 4 - bathroom
    *pic 5 - top of waterfall
    *pic 6 - yellow room
    *pic 7 - green room
    pic 8 - hallway
    pic 9 - forest
    pic 10 - barraks hall
    pic 11 - barraks
    pic 12 - display room
    *pic 13 - top of broken bridge
    pic 14 - looking down on crypt entrace
    *pic 15 - crypt hallway
    *pic 16 - torch room
    pic 17 - holy fount room
    pic 18 - pentagram torches

As you can see, I'm trying to mix in a little of everything, a little city, a little mansion, a little woods, a little dungeon, a little river, a little crypt...

Cheers!

Oooh, nice work! Keep at it, I'm looking forward to this one! Well done, taffer.

verrry nice.

They look great!

Can't wait

Well, at least I know it will be a big hit in Ontario, and maybe a few other places much closer to the Arctic circle than me.

With as many times as Garrett has robbed Bafford, it suprising to hear that Bafford can still afford to buy anything.

Those shots look great.

LUSH ! ! ! cants wait looky really intresting

LOL!
    I love anything that has to do with Lord Bafford. Robbing familiar faces is just so much fun.
    I can't wait.

Heh. Familiar faces....
    I guess I just made a joke.

Heard about the concept of originality?

Anyway, looks nice overall even though the corridors look a bit dull and with so many different themes in a mission, it's structure may suffer. Oh well, keep it coming.

Huh? What is this *oreegenalitee*? News to me...

Umn, the mission is pretty original, I think, depending on what your standard for it is. I mean, it fits a particular genre of FMs a la OB & Rowena's Curse, so to that extent it finds inspiration from other FM's style ... but the storyline is quite detailed and has some twists like good stories should.

I mean, it's story-dominated and the story unfolds over the course of the mission. It's not just a run-of-the-mill rob XYZ mission. Much of the design is story-driven, too, so there's not much fat in it (though I'll try to make some eye-candy where I can)

It actually has very little if nothing to do with Bafford (sorry to all Bafford fans)... I could have picked anybody to fill that role. Just the idea of something like Mt. Rushmore with Bafford's beaming face made me laugh. But neither he nor his wealth is really around. A much bigger role by the Hammerites and ... well, I can't give everything away.

The multiplicity of themes *could* become a real problem [see how you've become my most interesting interloquoter, Musopticon?]... something I'm only too aware of, especially given dromed's limits. This is my first full-on FM, so this is more of a learning opportunity than anything else.

Ironically, the reason I did it this way was to give discipline to the design. I've noticed that contest sized missions always have great gameplay for their size because they are so discrete -- it's easier to be conscious of gameplay mechanics each step of the way, and you really *feel* the flow of progress. There is little to no fat on them.

My idea was to knit a number of enclosed, discrete contest-sized areas together so I could take advantage of that, as well as keep the flow going fast, rather than attempt some sprawling mansion or dungeon with a lot of gratuitous running back and forth. So a lot of action takes place in a manageable little space to open up the next stage, etc., piece by piece. The problem, again, is going to be stuff like the light & brush limits, since I don't have a good feel yet for when to say when. It may be a gamble, who knows?, but it's worth a shot anyway.

As far as some of those woefully dull corridors, I won't disagree. They seriously need some wooden support columns or something to break up that space... They are obviously unfinished, but I was just running thru the mission screenshotting a lot of things, so I just threw them in. I felt like posting something might stoke some interest and keep me humming.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everybody. I wish I weren't so busy with school so I could get this out faster, but I'll try my best. Cheers.

In Reply to demagogue:

I'm too new to know the wonders of separated quote-tags, so I'm not going to quote your whole post.

Anyways, I'm sorry for lashing out with the originality-comment. It was useless and unconsiderate. I just got a little pissed when it seemed that you were doing the "something evil is found buried somewhere, but Garrett goes to investigate anyway, in hopes of getting rich, and at the same time ridding the world of that evil"-cliche with both your mission design and plot. And it seems you're going to have undead causing some ruckus, perhaps? The OB/CL/CC/RC-method of doing things is...a bit overdone. Even the OM's had it to some extent.

It's great to hear that you have adressed the multi-theme issue. Separate, sort of mini-missions, sound great, even though a bit gamey concept. I'm sure that what it lacks in realism, it more than takes up with the gameplay.

About the dull corridors-complaint: Of course the mission is still in production and you're going to spice up things a bit. I'm inconsiderate again, ain't I?
    Can I suggest that no matter the decorating, you still keep barracks's architecture very ascetic and on the other hand be lavish with noble houses and such? By saying dull, I in no way ment to put icing everywhere and cherries on top. That's just stupid.(and BTW I love those crypt hallway textures!)

I can be very crumby sometimes, don't mind.

I like how you designed the chimney in the green room.

looking good!!

@ Musopticon? -- On the contrary, I found your post the most useful of the lot.

I'm really making a conscious effort not to make the plot or gameplay too gamey, but stay true to the story. E.g., Casablanca was a total genre film, derivative to the hilt, but it's still a classic because it was so true to the story, not winking at the audience at all.

Taking out all undead is one way to do it... There's nothing *evil* around -- so in that sense, it stays away from the OB, RC, et al trap -- but it is certainly spiritual, like a key to hammerite theology ... sort of like archeologists discovering a first century marriage contract between Jesus and Mary Magdalen. You could imagine the uproar that might cause. So quite a bit on Hammerite theology and history... Well, we'll see...

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    @ Musopticon? -- On the contrary, I found your post the most useful of the lot.

I'm really making a conscious effort not to make the plot or gameplay too gamey, but stay true to the story. E.g., Casablanca was a total genre film, derivative to the hilt, but it's still a classic because it was so true to the story, not winking at the audience at all.
    That's good to hear. I appreciate you for taking time to answer my ramblings.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    Taking out all undead is one way to do it... There's nothing *evil* around -- so in that sense, it stays away from the OB, RC, et al trap -- but it is certainly spiritual, like a key to hammerite theology ... sort of like archeologists discovering a first century marriage contract between Jesus and Mary Magdalen. You could imagine the uproar that might cause. So quite a bit on Hammerite theology and history... Well, we'll see...
    Smith-in-Exile, perhaps? Sounds very interesting, I just wonder how you're going to pull it of... Yes, we'll see. In the meantime, more screenshots perchange?