TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homo Arbor FM - 2005.02.25

Quote Originally Posted by metal dawn
    aville: I finished with 3127, where's that last ten?
    Really? I was basically looking for a coin or a golden plate or maybe a couple of silver coinstacks but then i remembered that in the first house that you could break in after you got out of the well, in the room downstairs with the gentleman in front of the fireplace, there was an unfrobable golden vase which normally counts for 40 iirc but i thought that maybe that was the missing loot.

Anyhow, the only thing i can quickly recall being worth 10 must have been a piece of loot in de Winter's kitchen, on a table in the corner with a message sitting next to it. How about you? Can you remember anything worth 20 by any chance? Did you find anything of little value in the area before the well, or after you open the secret door?

EDIT: Forget about it, went back to it and had a second look. I had missed a
    spoiler:
    candlestick behind the curtains in a window close to Lady de Winter
    so, TL for me
    Last edited by aville; 26th Feb 2005 at 19:22.

How do I get past the large wood gate? I managed to get into the field behind the starting point, but I don't think the player was supposed to reach that area.

Edit:
    spoiler:
    I thought I found the way, but now I am stuck in the river.

Edit 2:
    spoiler:
    My own nonsense gave me a clue. After swimming up the waterfall I figured out where to go.
    Last edited by john9818a; 26th Feb 2005 at 21:34.

Dang, are you in cahoots with R Soul? (See this thread!)

Everywhere I go on the FM forums nowadays it's wood and Homo Arbors...

Ok, sorry, I've been a little stressed out lately. I'll go back to my dark corner now and ruminate on why T3Ed is being so evil to me lately. It's not my fault, really, blame it on a bad upbringing or something. **shhhhh!! Hit Deity's medicine needs to take affect....zzzzz**

Huh?

Help!

spoiler:
    I jumped in the river swam thru the cave and up out thru another small cave to a large column in the water. Jumped in and up the column and now I can't reach the rope. There is a small square hole in the wall by the small platform under the rope but nothing in there. I need a rope arrow. A spoiler needed please.
    Is there another way? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coreyb2
    spoiler:
    I jumped in the river swam thru the cave and up out thru another small cave to a large column in the water. Jumped in and up the column and now I can't reach the rope. There is a small square hole in the wall by the small platform under the rope but nothing in there. I need a rope arrow. A spoiler needed please.
    Is there another way? Thanks
    Swim part way up the vine and then over to the rope.
    Are we suppose to get by the metal fence after you exit the well? I see a tool box and a ladder beyond it.
    I need 93 or so loot to meet the minimum on expert. I have all other objectives complete. I must be missing a big area somewhere.
    Albert

Albert

spoiler:
    You don't come back through the water. There are two main hidden loots areas. One in the building with the armory the other is in the the second nearest house to the storage building.

Further cue
    spoiler:
    for house secret

spoiler:
    check the kitchen very carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lance
    Albert

spoiler:
    You don't come back through the water. There are two main hidden loots areas. One in the building with the armory the other is in the the second nearest house to the storage building.

Further cue
    spoiler:
    for house secret

spoiler:
    check the kitchen very carefully
    Thanks Sir Lance. Probably the one spot in that kitchen I did not check.
    Albert

Very Nice mission..I esspecially liked the glassworks...some of the light covers,windows and loot. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity
    Dang, are you in cahoots with R Soul? (See this thread!)

Everywhere I go on the FM forums nowadays it's wood and Homo Arbors...

[/i]
    hmmm....it means man tree (homo=man) and (arbor=tree). not sure what you are reading into this that has you so upset?

anyhooo....i really liked the look of this fm...and a unique twist for basso. thank you for your hard work!

oh yeah...i
    spoiler:
    did not want to kill basso!!! the music afterward almost made me cry!
    Last edited by nil8hate; 28th Feb 2005 at 04:09.

Quote Originally Posted by nil8hate
    hmmm....it means man tree (homo=man) and (arbor=tree). not sure what you are reading into this that has you so upset?

anyhooo....i really liked the look of this fm...and a unique twist for basso. thank you for your hard work!

oh yeah...i
    spoiler:
    did not want to kill basso!!! the music afterward almost made me cry!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I sat near him afterward for a good while out of regret and sorrow.

me too

I did love all of the Lord of the Rings stuff in this one though, especially
    spoiler:
    the Return of the King screen in the bathroom

Rosa, your DromEditing skills have dramatically increased, friend Basso was fun to play and was good but this was fantastic!

Ghost
    I know I'm missing something painfully obvious because nobody else has even asked. But -- how do I get into deWinter's? The gate is shut; Metal Dawn mentioned a switch, but I don't know where he means.

The sign says inquire at the police station. I've been through there, got the treasure and the weapons, and through the houses. But if there's another way into deWinter's, I'm stubbornly not seeing it.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Dafydd

Remember where the archer was/is in the police station?

spoiler:
    Look by him and to the right on that wall in front of where he is/was standing

Ghost
    Further along. Grrr. Automatic ghost bust.

I understand that not every mission can be ghosted, but a gratuitous forced ghost bust in an otherwise completely ghostable mission really gets my goat.

Did no ghoster test this? Or did they make suggestions, and Rosa just blew them off?

I suppose I have to knock out the two guards around the treebeast... but I'm not happy about this at all. It definitely spoils the mission for me. Especially after I did so good to ghost the manual in Charlie's cage. What's the point, then? I could have just knocked them both out, the guy and the monkey.

The only way to ghost this is to deliberately refrain from reading a certain book, which means you don't really do the full mission.

Note, it's not killing the treebeast that busts the ghost; that's allowed via rule 11 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...hreadid=30310). It's the fact that there is no way to kill the treebeast without alerting the two guards patrolling outside the cage. Even if they don't see you do it, they see the body!

If someone comes up with a way of doing this without busting the ghost, I would be astonished. I put out all the surrounding torches and killed the thing about fifteen times, each time making sure it ended up in one of the shadowy corners of the cage. But every time, the traililng guard spotted it and went ape, pulling the alarm. Sometimes the first guard did, too. I suppose it's possible that if you do it a hundred times, one time they won't react. I'm not willing to play this scene that long to find out. But it would have been so easy to make one of those overhead lights burnt out, so there would be enough darkness in one little spot that you could have fulfilled the objective without alerting the guards. Damn -- a wasted opportunity.

(The earlier bit with the breakaway bridge isn't a ghost bust because it's possible -- difficult but possible -- to jump over the railing without breaking it.)

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 28th Feb 2005 at 21:33.

What's your problem? Authors are not out to "get you." Why not try growing up and politely suggesting a change instead of
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    Did no ghoster test this? Or did they make suggestions, and Rosa just blew them off?
    That crap is NO WAY to treat someone who's slaved to create an enjoyable experience for us. Ask epithumia if he has anyway of contacting the author, then give constructive criticism if possible. Remember, ghosters (experts atleast) fit into a fairly small group, so more likely, a larger number of players a slighly more violent. MY only complaint is that you can't gut that bastard de Winter.
    Last edited by metal dawn; 28th Feb 2005 at 21:33.

Ghost
    Metal Dawn, I made my complaint as specific as possible: it's the gratuitous forced ghost bust that bothers me.

And what's the point of contacting the author? He or she (she, I guess from the name) isn't going to redo the mission just to make one small change.

Look, dude, I'm sorry if my annoyance pisses you off. And sure, Rosa invested a lot of time in this mission. But she could have simply had a ghoster, any ghoster, as one of the beta-testers, and he could have made a simple suggestion (such as the one I put in my last edit, before I read your post) that could have maintained the gameflow for everybody else but removed the auto-bust. That is the whole point of beta testing.

A lot more people ghost than I think you envision. I can understand an entire mission not set up for ghosting; that's not the problem. But when the entire rest of the mission is ghostable -- tough, but possible -- except one, critical element, that is irritating in the extreme.

Look, you can beat me up if you want, but this point is actually important: there are certain decisions that a mission author should make at the beginning, before design: one of those is the intended audience. There are plenty of non-ghostable missions; no problem. But when a mission seems ghostable all the way through, until suddenly one completely gratuitous element busts it automatically, then it's going to annoy people. Not everybody, but some. And with a single, tiny change, the annoyance could have been removed, allowing everyone to enjoy the mission, no matter what his playing style -- Conan, KO-king, Lytha, or ghost.

I consider my argument completely valid, and I made quite a point of not in any way attacking the author.

I didn't even attack the mission as a whole: I noted that this one element rather spoiled it for me... just as many people noted that a recent mission's abrupt and unexpected X-rated content spoiled that mission for them (I forget the name of that one). Those were valid comments, too... even if you or I or someone else might not be bothered by obscenities.

People's reactions are their reactions. And unless you actually enjoyed the mission more because one, single element that was set up to be unghostable, it would make sense for mission designers to have a ghoster, any ghoster, as one of the beta-testers.

Which was my point.

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 28th Feb 2005 at 21:55.

Peh. Fine, then. Jeez.

I didn't even attack the mission as a whole: I noted that this one element rather spoiled it for me... just as many people noted that a recent mission's abrupt and unexpected X-rated content spoiled that mission for them (I forget the name of that one). Those were valid comments, too... even if you or I or someone else might not be bothered by obscenities.
    You forgot already? Children of the Future.

I alerted one guard who then ran to turn on the alarm. I followed him and immediately frobbed the switch after he frobbed it which kept the alarm from sounding.

I miss Basso already

He's not a very good sneak, but he sure can handle a lock.

Ghost
    Well, I like the rest of the mission, before and after. As someone said uptopic, nice new look to a lot of things (such as the spiffy new guard uniform).

I'm stuck; I've gotten everything but the weapon and a little bit of loot (I think I need 150 to finish, not sure what the max is)... but I don't even know where the weapon could be. I hope it's not back in the lab!

Upstairs, in the bedroom, there is one suspicious, unfrobbable door. Is that related to the weapon?

Thanks,

Dafydd

Dafydd, I assume de Winter's weapon
    spoiler:
    is the ice arrow, which I believe is in the Lab where de Winter and Charlie are (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There is a small compartment area blocked by a red door near the switch that turns the light on/off in Charlie's cage.

spoiler:
    Unfortunately I cannot work out how to open the door
    so I'm playing through All Torc atm. I also only need a small amount of loot as well (3000 on Expert) which I can probably find by scouring again.
    Last edited by Jaguar; 3rd Mar 2005 at 00:19.

Well, I like the rest of the mission, before and after. As someone said uptopic, nice new look to a lot of things (such as the spiffy new guard uniform).

I'm stuck; I've gotten everything but the weapon and a little bit of loot (I think I need 150 to finish, not sure what the max is)... but I don't even know where the weapon could be. I hope it's not back in the lab!

Upstairs, in the bedroom, there is one suspicious, unfrobbable door. Is that related to the weapon?

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Hope I do the spoiler thing right, Dafydd, like Jaguar said, the switch is in the the lab . When you flick the switch next to the red door, look left and you will see a very small panel by a cog open ip . then you should be able to go farther in the game.
    There are two big loot stashes that can be easy to miss.
    Albert

Well putting my nose to the floor paid off this time. I finished with max loot and had spent an hour looking for the last piece of hard-to-find loot.

I had fun playing this mission. I found that it was too easy
    spoiler:
    to KO the archer through the window at the city watch.

I was able to climb up and over the rock near the beginning, and onto the roof where the player shouldn't be. Other than that everything look great.

Ghost
    There are two big loot stashes that can be easy to miss.
    And they are...? If you mean the loot below the city watch station and the 200 gold in the rich man's house, I already got both of those... but I'm still somewhat short of what I need even just to finish.

Thanks about the weapon, Albert; I'll go back and take a look. It's tough, though, since the monkey is still awake... and if he sees me, he alerts the guy watching him (de Winter?)

Dafydd

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast