TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

todays question....is.

is it possible so you can make a key open a certain door ..and not have it lockpickable or able to be frobbed?..so you have to find the key in the lvl to open the door?

Yes, but it'll be a bit messy to get rid of the frob highlight.

I might be wrong about all this, so you might want to dig around in the wiki, just in case.

To lock a door, you place the door actor as usual, then right-click and select properties (or press f4, though that doesn't always open the window), then right-click the window and select Add Property>Lock>bIslocked and Lock>KeyString

bIsLocked should be set to TRUE, so that when you frob the door, it doesn't open (but it still highlights, so you can frob it and hear the locked sound).

KeyString should be set to some easy to remember text.

You then need to add a key actor (under SetDressing>Inventory>Keys I think), which you add the KeyString property too as well, with the same name, and when the key is picked up it should unlock any doors with the same KeyString text.

To make the door un-highlightable too would require making the HighlightDist on the door=0, then when the key is picked up having a script that increases the value back up (defaults to 128), so it highlights and can be frobbed to use the key and unlock it.

Please help me.

When my unr is more then 4 MB i canīt play the map. Why?

In flesh mode i can see everything o.k. but game not run.
    Original maps (>4mb) run correctly.

pausing AI's

How can i stop an AI during his patrol to look at an item./area.for a random amount of time?...got a funny idea its something to do with focus points but not to sure...

norbik, have you checked for off-grid BSPs? I doubt your vertex pools are the problem if you're only up to 4 MB. Do you have a lot of smeshes? Any errors in your logs?

bigall, I think you need a lookpoint in the AI path, too. I haven't got my T3Ed here, but I think you have the AI patrol to the lookpoint and link it to the focuspoint to tell the AI where to look. At least that's how I remember it working with the playanimpoint. I'm just guessing, so don't shoot me if I got it wrong.

Last edited by Nomad to take a stab at beiall's problem.
    Last edited by nomad of the pacific; 30th Jul 2005 at 23:28.

I found previous posts and update vertex pool in default.ini and user.ini and fixed offgrid BSP and itīs O.K. - but itīs strange for me. I always snaped the grid. . Why is that error?

sorry my bad english. i hope you understand me.

I've found that even with grid snap on, I still get off grid BSP. It's very apparent when I use vertex editing. Check for off grid BSP often!

Yes. I must watch my step.

norbik, where in Czech Republic are you? I may be going there next month unless a coworker snags the job from me. I'm not sure what city, yet.

Iīm from Znojmo. Itīs small city in south Moravia region, near the state boundary with Austria.

Conversations/Objectives

Sorry if this has been asked before (search function down...)

When i try and add an objective in the conversation editor, I get the error

Cannot create conversation schema, failed to create directory [c:\programfiles\thief3edit\\content\t3\sounds\schemas\conversations\playergarrett\]

Schema changes allowed is true in user.ini.

Is it getting confused over the space character in the 'program files' folder? what about the double slash? anybody else having this problem with the standard installation?

OK, I changed my editor folder to c:\thief3\edit and it works!

So.. Don't install the editor to c:\program files !

I guess we need to get that into the installation wiki.

Wiki'ed. Glad you got it working!

I knew there was a reason you shouldn't do that, I just couldn't remember what it was!

large maps denied..crys into my beer

ok guys next prob......since i cant make huge..maps as in dromed i have made the upper rooms in a mansion lvl on one map and the lower lvls on another map i have put the same stairwell in both upper and lower maps ..now how do i use the blue swirly teleport thingy to get from the bottom of the stairs in my lower room map to get to the top of the stairs in my upper lvl as in the game ?....or is someone working on a way to be able to use more meshs in a single map ..and not have to split the lvl into seperate maps??

You can build bigger so long as you expand the vertex pools. We are currently having trouble getting that kind of map to work on other people's machines (see SFM_zSchism...) though, so it might be wiser not to.

Otherwise, the instructions in the readme for the editor (they're on the wiki as well) are correct on the setup for teleports between maps, and if you want the blue smoke it's Actor>Emitters>FX>TransitionSmoke.

scripting question (that is, if I can get the editor to work ever again...)

Is there an action to put an AI directly into red_Alert

Also what condition is used to call a script when an AI gives up searching?

Problem With Zoning

Hi, i'm having problems adding zone brushes to my level. I normally add these to doorways, but when i do this, i quite often get a big hole in a wall somewhere else in the level. Sometimes this hole can appear right next to the zone, though it often appears in other sections of the map.

Also, when adding zones to a doorway to seperate two rooms, should I use two zone brushes(one on each side of the door) or just one in the doorway?

Bho, check the wiki page about BSP brushes, there's a link at the bottom to a great site explaining BSP hole and how to fix/avoid them.
    As for portals in doorways, it depends a bit. Just use the one unless you need two to make the lighting on either side display right.
    There may be a high limit to the number of zones you can have, but the more of them there are, the more inconvenient they can be with ragards to sound distortion and propogation, so use as few as you can while maintaining performance and effects.

Thanks, Z. Turns out that i had some brushes which were off the grid (guess i was a little too trigger happy with vertex editing), and the holes dissapeared after fixing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    Is there an action to put an AI directly into red_Alert

Also what condition is used to call a script when an AI gives up searching?
    Anybody know?

It seems that the action "Change Disposition: Attached AI and nearby allies will Become hostile toward the player and his or her allies." should work, but only if the AI sees you.

The condition "When my behaviour state changes to [STATE GREEN ALERT] should work for you.

I haven't tested these, but they're the best I could find. Hope they work for you.

thanks for the green alert stuff. The other thing won't work, because I'm trying to force a guard to go suspicious and look around without him first seeing the player.

There are some alertness-related actions under the AI category that you could try playing with. Other than that, I can't see a way to set AIs straight into red alert mode.

Or you can fake it, like I did at the start of Townhouse - bTensePatrol, bStartWthWeaponDrawn, and make them run between the patrol points.

Page 19 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469 ... LastLast