TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055606570 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

T3Ed works,Thief 3 doesn't

Hi.Sorry to bother you again but I have another problem.
    I followed David's instructions on how to install the editor for Thief 3 and I managed to get the Editor run properly but now the game doesn't work;whenever I open the game(from the clean installation) it goes as far as the menu loading screen and then crashes to Windows with no error message.
    I have been playing Thief 3 before and it worked just fine but now I'm facing this problem.
    Is it a good idea to make another Thief Installation?
    Any help would be apreciated

P.S:Note that the game is version 1.1(patched)

You must start original game from thief3launcher (right panel).

Yeah,well,I guess I messed something up during the installation process also therefor I think I'll uninstall everything,install everything again(carefully)and follow your advice.Thanks!

Weird Faces in Editor

Looking in the editor i find in the OM's a whole textured room with faces on the ceilings, walls, and floor. What do they mean in the editor? I'm sure that there are people who have asked this before, but I have searched the forums before and cannot find the answer.

Administrator
    That texture is often used for zone portals, as it is easily distinguishable from any other texture - that might be used on a wall, say.

Also, it doesn't render as visible in Flesh render mode (or in game therefore), so it's gets used for things that are invisible but sort of solid, like sky boxes or invisible collision - you can kind of use it like a CLIP texture in Half-life if you use semi-solid brushes (I think), just don't use plain additive or it'll munch holes in the level you can see the sky through.

Climbing Gloves

Hi !

I checked out how to make it posssible, that Garrett is able to climb walls from the point the mission starts. But how can I make it possible, that Garrett can't climb walls, till he gets the climbing gloves ? Like in the OMs.

Pinhead

If you are using a script to give the upgrade, just run the script as part of a "When object is frobbed" script on the gloves. And/or try adding the climbing gloves as an actor in the level, maybe when they're picked up they sort it out for themselves.

trouble with teleports?

ok people i have made 2 maps, call them map 1 and map 2 .i have made the telport volunmes and the teleport desitnations in each of the 2 maps i have follwed the tutorial and put all the dest name and stuff on all the relevant actors but when i go into the game using the " send to xbox" way of dioing it it runs fine all the sounds effects amb's all word as they should but when i go into the blue swirl it asks if i want to leave and enter ..i click yes it goes to loading screen then an error appears :

Ion launcer error
    failed to start executable c:\thief3edit\system\t3Main.exe

im sure its set up correctly .could it be something to do with using the send to xbox .
    i have tried to create a shortcut to the exe file as per the tutorial but when i add the map name to the end of the line and click apply it gives an error box and wont let me change it ..am i changing the right line in the shortcut ?. and am i adding the right thing to the line anyway ?..any help would be appreiciated thanks

well, here's an example of how the shortcut should go:
    Code:
    C:\Davids\Thief3\System\T3.exe TDS_Townhouse
    otherwise, um....
    I don't know, I've never tested a map with teleport from the Play Level or Send to Xbox buttons, I've always used shortcuts or New Game (entry map).
    They are both exported to game though? You'll need gmp files for both areas.

Door Frames

I have a problem with doorframes. I'm able to walk through some door frames, as it should be, but there are some doorframes I can not walk through. They act like a block. How can I make those doorframes walkthroughable or how can I reskin (texture) working doorframes ? I know the texture part in the static mesh browser, but there are only a few textures.

I had the same problem with window frames

okay Pinhead:
    To make them passable, the easiest way is to set the colliion properties in the static mesh browser - you probably want to set it to either Exact or None.

To re-skin, place the mesh in the level somewhere, then select the alternative texture you want in the texture browser, then ALT+Left Click on the part of the mesh you want to resin without selecting the mesh first. [General tip - you can ALT+RMB to pick up textures, ALT+LMB to paint them, so becareful of the bsp behind the smesh you are reskinning].

Beware that some smeshes use more than one texture.

Once it looks how you want, right-click on the smesh, then select StaticMeshes>Add Skin, and give it a name, so that you can select the skin again and to make sure it doesn't complain about the names (or lack of - I'd recommend naming the skin after the dominant texture on the smesh)

Well, maybe not a completely newbie question, but since I'm a newbie, I put it here.
    Has anyone managed to do a carriable light?
    I managed to make a lantern so that I can pick it up as junk item, but it loses the light while carrying it. I was wondering if it could be somehow possible to have it keep the light while carrying around?

It seems people are busy doing their contest6 entrys, but I'd like to ask another question regarding putting AI's to sleep.
    I've done it like so:
    create bed, create AI-pawn. Add link from AI-pawn -> sleeping, target StaticMeshActor__x , where x is the number for bed.
    However, AI's get there always sleeping sideways. I checked the castle1 -mission for the sleeping guard, and he didn't seem to have anything more than what I've done.
    Am I missing something, or can this be done only for a limited number of pawns/beds?

Not all of the beds have sleep points, and you need to edit the link (ActorLinks, then Edit), so that the attachment point is the actual sleeping thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye
    Or you can fake it, like I did at the start of Townhouse - bTensePatrol, bStartWthWeaponDrawn, and make them run between the patrol points.
    would this work if I wanted them to be normal until the event triggered?

I don't know, since I had them out of world to start with, but I guess the properties could be set in a script.
    Running between patrol points would be harder to fake that way I think, since it's set on the actual patrol point, but the script might be able to move them onto a parrallel track for running around I guess.

You'd have to do the experiment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye
    Not all of the beds have sleep points, and you need to edit the link (ActorLinks, then Edit), so that the attachment point is the actual sleeping thing.
    Thank you for the reply. However, I can't find "attachment point" in my selected bed (bed4heather), only Link -> m_GroupName, m_name and Object -> Class, Name. Also, I can't add stuff in there either.
    So is the conclusion right, that one is able to use only certain beds for putting AI's to sleep in?
    TIA

I think that the bed4heather is one of the ones that doesn't work.
    Somewhat inconcenient, because I like the model.
    If you can attach the sleeping link to a generic marker node or something then you may still be able to force it, but I haven't tried that.

is there a link offset property for the sleeping link? I can't remember atm but if there is you could use that to reposition the body.

sound dampening

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to make a room quieter? I need some guard footsteps and dialog to be very quiet as if heard from a distance.

AIs appear and follow a sound

I don't know if this is a newbie question or more of an advanced one, but seeing as I am a newbie, I'll ask it here: how can I make AIs appear when Garrett plays a certain instrument and how can I make them follow him while he plays it or until he plays the instrument again? I'm looking for a Pied Piper of Hamlin response, making creatures follow the sound of a flute or bird/rat call but only for a certain amount of time (might be annoying to have creatures follow Garrett throughout the game). Can I make this effect happen repeatedly or just once? I appreciate any help -- I don't even know where to begin.

I think this is possible, just. You'd need a custom script with a timer, and you'd probably need some complex flag system and you'd need the action "follow the player" and "stop following the player"

Bardic - sounddampening is a ZoneInfo actor property (you zone off the room, then add the actor, then add the ReverbStyle property).

The different preset ReverbStyles will amplify or diminish (and/or echo), just play with them till you find one you like.

Page 20 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055606570 ... LastLast