TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Ahh, excellent Ziemanskye.

Now I have to decide to go to work, or to stay here and build my mission some more. Or better Yet, hijack the computer at work to build the mission there.

Pied Piper

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    I think this is possible, just. You'd need a custom script with a timer, and you'd probably need some complex flag system and you'd need the action "follow the player" and "stop following the player"
    Thanks, Project X! I'll do a search for information on custom script timing and "follow(ing) the player" and see what I can find. I appreciate your help.

I'm working on a potion that makes the player jump twice the normal height, I've tried changing the gravity property on Garrett, and I've tried changing the Jumpheight property on Garrett but none of these work. Anyone come across something that might be helpful?

You can change the Jumpheight property on the PlayerGarrett archetype in the editor, but unfortunately its one of those things you can't change in-game. I tried to make something similar a while back, with no success. If you do change the jumpheight, make sure you change the property that sets how high Garrett can fall from without being injured, or he will get splatted every time you jump.

Is there a way to change vulnerabilities mid-game? This is my last hope for anything resembling a slowfall potion.

EDIT: Also is there a way to make the player wall-climb up a volume or a brush with a texture that doesn't normally have the bclimbable property set to true?
    Last edited by ProjectX; 24th Aug 2005 at 14:13.

Has anyone managed to make a book you can pick up and read from inventory? I've tried (and failed). It would be an extremely useful thing to have, especially for clues/riddles in missions.

Ok, its not really a newbie question...

I'll take a crack at it, it doesn't look as if it should be too hard, it all depends on whether there are the right actions I suppose.

Irrational Games
    I've moved this here since it was slightly off topic where it was:

How does one go about using an object from their inventory while frobbing (or just highlighting) something in game. In much the same way the keyring is applied to the door (in the other thread), could you select a stone that was put in the inventory and use it on some sort of socket in the wall to place it there? Are there conditions for this that combine an inventory object with a frob in the world?

Uh, you could do it with a volume, but AFAIK not with a highlight.

You could do:

When linked volumes [MYSELF] are breached by [category_player]
    Set flag [StoneRecepticleVolume] To [TRUE]

and then:

When I am used in a way from the inventory
    Query if [StoneRecepticleVolume] is [EqualTo] [TRUE]
    Do what you want to do with that stone.

BTW with this inventory book thing:

I've got it so it appears in your inventory, just tweaking things so that it is readable, btw. the book is read when you frob it to pick it up as well as when it's used from the inventory, this seems to be hard-coded and there's nothing I can do about it, however it isn't gameplay impeding, and probably more useful anyway.

Worked it all out. Thi needs to go on T3 functonality progress thread.

My tutorial (this requires the changing of the gamesys, so make sure it's backed up):

BOOKS IN THE INVENTORY:

1. First open the actor class browser. Expand WorldObj -> InventoryObject -> Potion. Add a new class called "InvBook". This will be our base folder for all the future types of book we make. I chose to put it in potions because potion has a lot of the base properties we need.

2. Create a new class under InvBook and give it a suitable name, right click on it and select placeable/unplaceable, your book can now be added to a level.

3. Open the script browser and create a script, we'll call it "InventoryBook". Our script is quite simple and will look like this:

CONDITIONS
    When I am used in a way from the inventory
    ACTIONS
    Show the book that this script is on
    Reset script conditions and actions

It really is that easy!

4. Now select InvBook (the folder) and add the properties: book -> bIsBook and book -> BookFileName. Leave BookFileName blank but set bIsBook to true. Then add Frob -> FrobBias, IsFrobbable. Set FrobBias to 16 and bIsFrobbable to True. Next add Highlight -> HighlightDist and set that to 128.

5. Now we need to customize how it is used in the inventory. Add inventory -> bCanUseWhileClimbing, bDeleteOnUse, bDontUseOnFullHealth and bIsStackable and set these to false, add bIsInventory and set that to true. Then add InvType and MaxInventoryStack. Set InvType to ITEM and MaxInventoryStack to 0.

6. Now for adding the script, with the InvBook still selected, add the properties Scripts -> TriggerScripts and bEnableScriptInherit. Set ScriptInherit to true and add a script to the TriggerScripts array, set the script to the one we just made. Now go to File -> Save Selected Packages and File -> Export Changed Scripts.

7. Add the book subclass to your level, open it's concrete properties and add Book -> BookFileName, add the name of an existing book (.sch files found in CONTENT -> T3 -> Books -> English) except change the name from *.sch to *.txt. Now rebuild, save and run your map. When you frob the book the book will appear as readable, but is also selectable and usable from the item inventory (you'll have to select your items using the scroll item inventory buttons)

There's only one problem. The book's poorly aligned.

8. Go back to your InvBook class, right click and select "show links". Add a link from "InvBook" To "BookModelPageUI" with the flavor being "HUDRender". now save the packages, export the scripts, rebuild the map, run the game and try it out!

NOTE: This is also possible to add to the existing books in T3 OMs, all you have to do is change the Readable -> Book in the same way as above, although a few methods will need to be different, I'll leave you to have fun experimenting.

NOTE2: This was a rushed attempt to get the functonality working, it may need improvements. You may also want to add CastShadows too and physics properties too.

NOTE3: You can now add any type of book underneath InvBook and it will only need the absolute minimum of properties changed (just the mesh and the book reference)
    Last edited by ProjectX; 26th Aug 2005 at 15:11.

I haven't tried it, but I'd suggest the offset problem's solution lives in the various ini files that control the buttons and other HUD elements.

It needed a HUDRender actor link, it works perfectly now, take a look above

The first problem sorted out by me without exterior help, I am proud.

Irrational Games
    Thanks for the help regarding using items from your inventory in the world. I suppose I could fake things by making the receptacle frobbable with a highlight distance that falls within the volume space.

Seems like an annoying omission (really cramps the adventure elements), but oh well.

Worked it all out. Thi(s) needs to go on T3 functonality progress thread.
    It's there

is there a way to make the player wall-climb up a volume or a brush with a texture that doesn't normally have the bclimbable property set to true?

is there a way to make the player wall-climb up a volume or a brush with a texture that doesn't normally have the bclimbable property set to true?
    Try a GENinvisiblewall* smesh found under DOORS_WINDOWS_LOCKS>Doors_DoorFrames then set the Climber property to blsLadder=true. I don't know if that'll work so keep us posted.

Ok, if this is where I can just ask questions without fear of being accused of not searching through a million pages, then my questions are:

What precisely do I need to do/have to get the editor functioning in a two directory install? Why do I need to rename anything? The Readme thread says "for reasons that will become clear". They didn't become clear to me.

Where can I find TDS finished missions? The websites I find (including this one) all only have direct links for T1 and T2. Or are there no finished T3 missions as of yet? (I am almost done with the game, and don't want the experience to be over...)

What happened to Ion Storm? I saw vague references in some of these threads relating to some sort of disbanding. Why? Who presently owns the intellectual copyrights? Does this mean there will be no new official Thief games?

I sort of get the impression that at least one of the people on this board was a part of the Thief team, so hopefully I can find some of this stuff out. Are there any other members of the team on board here?

Comment:I only wish I had been pointed to this game series sooner. It is by far one of the better games I have ever played.
    Last edited by kamyk; 27th Aug 2005 at 17:42.

Quote Originally Posted by kamyk
    Where can I find TDS finished missions? The websites I find (including this one) all only have direct links for T1 and T2. Or are there no finished T3 missions as of yet? (I am almost done with the game, and don't want the experience to be over...).
    been wondering that myself, seems to be a well kept secret.

What happened to Ion Storm? I saw vague references in some of these threads relating to some sort of disbanding. Why? Who presently owns the intellectual copyrights? Does this mean there will be no new official Thief games?.
    I believe it's Eidos that has the rights now after ION Strom was shut down because of a drop in sales and quality in thier products. There are plans for a new Thief game though, it just happens to be in a modern setting. Apparently they believe that "the whole "mideival" thing has run its course". For more info look in the Thief General Discussion, a quick search or new thread will pull up more information than you need.

The levels released so far have been alpha/beta/proof of concept-type things, though Townhouse and Schism are pretty much complete in their own right. You can download them, plus the alpha of Krellek's Labyrinth here.

Ok, if this is where I can just ask questions without fear of being accused of not searching through a million pages, then my questions are:

What precisely do I need to do/have to get the editor functioning in a two directory install? Why do I need to rename anything? The Readme thread says "for reasons that will become clear". They didn't become clear to me.
    Take a look at teh wiki, it has an install guide that I followed and know it works.

Anybody know what the alarm link flavor does?

The Alarm Link I'd assumed was a DX:IW thing...
    (yet again with the haven't tried it, jees...)
    I figured it would link from an alarm sounder object (or NPC) to other NPCs so that once one of them got alerted it''d be picked up by others linked to it and you could have a whole area go alert.... Which I think was kind of what you wanted to happen for something, so might be worth experimenting with a bit.

Is there any way to completely mute an AI mid-game?

Don't worry all of these questions will eventually emerge as one complex yet rewarding FM. Hopefully.

Inventory Books

By the Builder, it works! One thing - when you read the book from inventory, it only displays the correct text if the filename is specified on the archetype, rather than the concrete. This isn't a problem, really, it just means any FM without a custom gamesys won't be able to use these.
    And now we have proof the When I am used in a way from inventory condition works, I'm going to try making T1/2 style keys again.

"Install and patch the game. For reasons that will become clear later it is best to install it to a directory named Thief3 rather than the default Thief - Deadly Shadows. Also, avoid installing it under the Program Files directory, or any other directory that contains spaces in its name. "

"To launch manually rename Thief3 Edit to Thief3 and start /SYSTEM/t3.exe editor
    If you fail to rename the directories when manually running the editor you will get a Viktoria error with the error message Unable to load static mesh 'WEPaiSWORD'!"

This is what I am referring to. This is the part that confused me. According to the installation wiki, you are supposed to re-install the game from scratch with the defualt name of thief3 as the directory. Then later the wiki tells you that in order to run the editor to rename the editor directory from thief3 edit to thief3. This gives me a directory already exists type of error. And as I said before, the reasons why I should rename the actual game directory in no way becomes clear later...

Does the launcher render this problem irrelevant? If so, I will use that instead.
    Last edited by kamyk; 28th Aug 2005 at 18:07.

This is what I am referring to. This is the part that confused me. According to the installation wiki, you are supposed to re-install the game from scratch with the defualt name of thief3 as the directory. Then later the wiki tells you that in order to run the editor to rename the editor directory from thief3 edit to thief3. This gives me a directory already exists type of error. And as I said before, the reasons why I should rename the actual game directory in no way becomes clear later...

Does the launcher render this problem irrelevant? If so, I will use that instead.
    It doesn't matter what you name the editor folder as long as there's no spaces. If there are spaces then the editor cannot find certain things such as conversations, scripts, etc. My editor directory is just named "T3Ed"'.

Use the launcher. It alters the Windows registry so T3 knows where it's at.

Page 21 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast