TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

does T3ed work with the Thief Deadly Shadows demo?

Good question. I don't suppose there's any reason why it wouldn't run, but I don't know what resources the demo does and doesn't have, so I can't say for certain. Probably at least the schema metafiles wouldn't be complete, so you wouldn't get to hear all of the sounds.

My advice is just bite the bullet and buy the game. Then you know it'll work. ... Well, probably...

Administrator

Sorting out the newbie thread

To respond to prustage, valadan and GlasWolf:

Perhaps I should have kept a better eye on this thread. Clearly there are too many posts that aren't really basic, and the thread is riduculously large, almost like the forum is getting sucked in here.
    The only thing we really wanted to avoid in the main forum is threads like "Where do I find the PlayerStart", or "how do I put an AI in the level". For anything that may conceivably go on for several posts there should be a thread.

Perhaps we should limit this thread to one-liners generally to avoid several topics getting interlaced.

At least I can chop it down to size and let the older stuff go...

I think if you tried to split this up it would be a mess, the only hope would be to create something like the T3 Tweaks Thread but that would be a mass of (ongoing) work. I see two possible solutions. Firstly, have a variety of stickied newbie threads on each main topic as prustage suggested. The other one is just to lock this and do away with the idea. Now that things have calmed down from the release and the wiki and Komag's tutorial have given noobs a place to get a started editing, it's probably not necessary any more anyway.

Edit: I see you've reconstituted some threads scumble - I take my hat off to you.
    Last edited by GlasWolf; 20th Jan 2006 at 15:56.

Administrator
    I just pulled out what I thought were some useful recent topics. I haven't been through the whole thing yet, but working backwards looking for important questions seems worthwhile. There's a lot that should work its way into the wiki, as there's an awful lot of very useful, if disorganised, information sitting in forum posts going back to march last year.
    So, I'd encourage everyone to think of the wiki more often when these points come up - there is a good turnover of additions and changes, as revealed by the RecentChanges page, but an increasing number of even tiny additions will make quite a difference to amount of information on there.

Possibly the newbie thread isn't ideal, but there hasn't been much use of an IRC channel as far as I'm aware. Ultimately that's best for simple questions, but the problem is the likelyhood of someone helpful being online at the right time.

Saved Games - how can I change the default folder?

Hi,

This strictly is a question about the OM game rather than T3ED and the process of editing new levels. I've posted it here (if you'll forgive me) because I think the guys on this forum are more likely to know the answer!

I have done some reorganisation of my hard drives with a view to disconnecting one of them. Unfortunately Theif3 is the one application left that still insists on writing saved games to a folder on the old drive. I have searched the config files to see where this filepath is set up but with no luck.

So, the obvious question - how can I make Theif save games to different folder?

From the T3 tweak thread:

Moving the Save Game Folder
    Contributed by Jahandar

A number of you have said you dislike the way Thief: DS stores your saved games in your My Documents folder. Here are instructions on how to change this behavior. I'm running Windows 2000, but it should work on XP as well.

DISCLAIMER: Registry editing can cause a lot of problems with your Operating System and software if you're not careful. Although, this is not a difficult tweak, you may want to backup your registry beforehand (its good practice to backup your registry periodically anyway). As always, tweak at your own risk. Blaming Jahandar for your mishaps is strictly forbidden.

Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way, on with the tweaking...

For those unfamiliar with registry editing, step-by-step instructions:
    1. Open the Registry editor. Go to Start, Run, type "regedit" then press enter.
    2. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows" using the navigation pane on the left side of the window.
    3. Look in the right pane of the window for an entry called "SaveGamePath," right-click it, choose Modify, and replace the Value Data with the location where you'd like Thief to store your SaveGames folder (I'd suggest using the location where you installed the game. Default: "C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows").

For those who know what they're doing:
    Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows" and modify the path specified by SaveGamePath.

Notes for Everyone:
    The next time you play, the game will create a folder called SaveGames at the location you specified. If you already have games saved or if you've already configured your standard game settings (screen resolution, key binds, etc), you'll want to move/copy your old SaveGames folder to the path that you specified in SaveGamePath. Until then, you will not be able to load your saved games, and you'll have to reconfigure your settings.

Quote Originally Posted by thief0
    does T3ed work with the Thief Deadly Shadows demo?
    Download my new T3EnhancED installer. It includes all of the extracted sounds and textures, but no longer packages the original mission files.

In other words, you can build missions, but you still need to buy the full game to properly test them.

Voices and Footsteps

I have a dumb newbie question, it's probely asked tons of times but I can't find it:

I've got everything figured out by now but I still don't know how to give the NPC voices and how turn hear footsteps. Can someone how to turn them on, and if they are suposed to be on how what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Might aswell ask another question....Wen I give a NonCombat Human a patrol round it works fine, If I do this with a combat unit nothing hapens.
    Last edited by Righard; 31st Jan 2006 at 18:32.

You should get sound when you test it ingame - so long as you don't just use the "Play level" button in T3Ed.

If you start the level with a shortcut, or by using Send to XBox (or in T3EnhancEd?) you should be able to hear the sounds. The wiki should tell you to do such things.

As for the patrol routes, they ought to work anyway, irrespective of if the NPC is combat/non-combat, so that's just weird.

I used to have the same problem with voices and footsteps not playing. I have no idea what the cause was, but I solved it by reinstalling T3Ed. It may not fix the problem in your case but it's worth a try.

Are you sure you set the patrol routes up properly? If you just deleted the combat AI and placed the non-combat AI in its place and expected it to pick up the same patrol route, you may need to delete and recreate the AddAIPoint.

Thank but unluckely it still doesn't work

I re´nstaled both T3Ed (Enhanc) and Thief, In windowed mode I hear things like doors, candle goining out, weapons etc. but I don't hear any Voices or Footsteps. That Send to XBox gives me sound at full screen ut still no voices or footsteps.

EDIT: I'm not the only one that doesn't hear the footsteps, gaurd don't hear them as wel...Wen I run to a guard and keep jumping behind his back he doesn't respond what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Righard

I re´nstaled both T3Ed (Enhanc) and Thief, In windowed mode I hear things like doors, candle goining out, weapons etc. but I don't hear any Voices or Footsteps. That Send to XBox gives me sound at full screen ut still no voices or footsteps.

EDIT: I'm not the only one that doesn't hear the footsteps, gaurd don't hear them as wel...Wen I run to a guard and keep jumping behind his back he doesn't respond what so ever.
    Did you compile the schema meta files as instructed in the Tutorial? Also, after compiling the meta files, did you move them into the 'Sound' directory? It sounds like you didn't. When you compile them, the files are found in the Utilites folder, they must be moved to the sound directory manually.

If BlockLoading in user.ini for the editor is enabled the AI tend to stupid. This is confusing because you need to enable it in the regular game install in order to get custom content to work. See if Blockloading=True & is not commented.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    Did you compile the schema meta files as instructed in the Tutorial? Also, after compiling the meta files, did you move them into the 'Sound' directory? It sounds like you didn't. When you compile them, the files are found in the Utilites folder, they must be moved to the sound directory manually.
    Thank you! I didn't put the compiled schemes in the sound map, all works fine now

Thank you! I didn't put the compiled schemes in the sound map, all works fine now
    I thought so.

What is the use of T3EnhancED I don`t get it. From what I read you have more sound now. But if I checked the video texture map from both. The original version has more textures in the map then the T3EnhancED???

I have downloaded both version, but at this point I don`t see the reason for using T3EnhancED. I think with the T3EnhancED I can paste the music to the original T3ED version, and I got a more complete T3ED version.

Hope someone can explain me wich EDITOR IS BETTER

Administrator
    T3EnhancEd is New Horizon's repackaging of T3ed with a number of enhancements and tweaks - if you read the relevant thread it should be clear what's been changed. If you work a bit with the editor you'll realise there are some good reasons for what New Horizon has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky
    What is the use of T3EnhancED I don`t get it. From what I read you have more sound now. But if I checked the video texture map from both. The original version has more textures in the map then the T3EnhancED???
    The original version has more textures because there were two texture folders, a PCTextures and an Xbox textures folder. For the most part, they contained the exact same textures, but in some cases the xbox folder contained some textures that the pc folder didn't. I merged both folders into one and shaved a good 100 megs off of the editor. I have explained all of this in the original T3EnhancED thread, which you must have visited to download it. Trust me, all the textures are there...I just removed the xbox duplicates. This doesn't affect functionality because all the filepaths in the default.ini now point to the PCTextures folder.

The original T3Ed requires much tweaking to get running and only came packaged with a small number of the sound files. Also, T3EnhancEd is a self installing application...very little work is needed to get it running. Just run the installer and start building. Simply put, I've done the annoying work for you, so you can start building FM's as soon as you finish installing the editor.

Please read the T3EnhancED thread for a fairly comprehensive list of changes/ tweaks.

This is pretty off-topic but I am really looking forward to use t3enhancED but I will have to finish my FM first...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    The original T3Ed requires much tweaking to get running
    This is reason enough for the large download. So many people have had so much trouble installing the thing I don't think we can stress this enough...

Problem installing T3EnhandEd

I'm willing to try T3advancED but I have problem installing it. The installation stops when I'm done with about half of it. It says I cannot copy a file, and the second time I downloaded it it was another file. I may have corrupted some files when installing John P's stuff (I didn't do it properly). So I'm going to try to remove it in case it's because of this.

I'm not sure I agree with all the changes that were made with T3advanced, though the overall changes seem good, especially for bugs being fixed.

Hiogui
    Last edited by scumble; 8th Feb 2006 at 05:02. Reason: some content moved to separate thread (Strange Lines)

Quote Originally Posted by hiogui
    I'm willing to try T3advancED but I have problem installing it. The installation stops when I'm done with about half of it. It says I cannot copy a file, and the second time I downloaded it it was another file. I may have corrupted some files when installing John P's stuff (I didn't do it properly). So I'm going to try to remove it in case it's because of this.

I'm not sure I agree with all the changes that were made with T3advanced, though the overall changes seem good, especially for bugs being fixed.

Hiogui
    Make sure you're not trying to install T3EnhancEd over top of any existing files. It doesn't work that way. It must be installed in its own directory.
    Last edited by scumble; 8th Feb 2006 at 04:57. Reason: chopped quote to relevant content for response

I don't want to spam T3EnhancEd thread, so I'll ask this question here...

There are problems with rebuilding of schema meta files in the original editor. It lasts too long. What should I do in order to fix this? Do you think that installing T3EnhancEd and then copying its sound folders over the original editor folders is a good idea?

I ask such question, because... well, I would use T3EnhancEd and its great features (thanks, New Horizon, for your acomplishment!), but I simply can't stand Minimalist HUD (I know I am strange ).

Quote Originally Posted by bukary
    I don't want to spam T3EnhancEd thread, so I'll ask this question here...

There are problems with rebuilding of schema meta files in the original editor. It lasts too long. What should I do in order to fix this? Do you think that installing T3EnhancEd and then copying its sound folders over the original editor folders is a good idea?

I ask such question, because... well, I would use T3EnhancEd and its great features (thanks, New Horizon, for your acomplishment!), but I simply can't stand Minimalist HUD.
    You definately don't want to copy the sound folders from T3EnhancED to vanilla T3. That would break many sounds. There is really no easy way to do it unfortunately. The way I streamlined the process was to create dummy wav files for all of the .oggs, that way...ogg is used over wav. As with many things in getting the T3 Editor working, it just takes time...lots of time.

What is is that you don't like about the classic hud? Is it something minor I could perhaps fix with an adjustment of some kind? Is it that the health shields stay up all the time? It's the same basic configuration as the vanilla T3 hud, the only difference is that it follows the layout established in the previous games, and takes up less screen space. Hud items don't overlap...etc. My primary goal was to balance the new hud elements within the style of T3. You'll notice that the new lightgem configuration simply uses one of the loading screen buttons for the lightgem casing.
    Last edited by New Horizon; 7th Feb 2006 at 10:17.

Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984 ... LastLast