TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 39 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491419242934353637383940414243444954596469747984 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

How can I prevent loot from being frobable through closed chests?

http://www.ttlg.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LootContainers

However, there is one important note: if you leave the loot with default properties, the player will easily be able to frob the valuables right through the closed/locked lid. To prevent this, set each piece of loot's Frob->FrobBias property to a value of 0. That way, the lid has a far higher bias to be frobbed, and the loot is ingored until the lid is open. Seems to be done that way in the OM's, and it seems to work!

I did it by setting bOutOfWorld (or whatever it is) to True on the loot and changed it back to False when the container was unlocked. (I prefer adjusting Toggles as opposed to Values.)

Just a quick question about difficulty objectives and the entry.unr, I followed D'spairs mission tutorial but even though I have placed my own difficaulty actor in the entry map and linked it to the enter mission info it always shows the difficulty for the Inn, Do i need to change something in the enter mission info as well?

t3ed question

Hello - Absolute FM newbie here Didn;t know if anyone might have an idea what this issue might be - I have installed DS in a directory named thief3 and the t3ed form Jan. 2005 in Thief3Edit and followed all the other tips in the tutorial for setup including an install of Thief3Launcher. Strictly following the tutorial (KomagTutt3) I create a brush as directed but when I select the Subtract tool nothing happens?!?! I do not see the "bubbly" walls as expected - it just remains a red wire frame. I have followed the directions verbatim and figure if I can't dig a hole I'm already in one ;P. Is there perhaps a step missing or have I wandered into inexplicable weirdness land - or mayhaps I do not have the mental acuity to be successful at such an endeavor... any help appreciated.

Move the red builder brush and you should see a yellow box where it used to be. If you do, the Subtract action worked. Then Build All. Remember, you must be inside the brush to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific
    Move the red builder brush and you should see a yellow box where it used to be. If you do, the Subtract action worked. Then Build All. Remember, you must be inside the brush to see it.
    Thank you - if I move it I do see the yellow wire frame box and when I do a Build All it processes but I still just see a yellow wire frame - even if I move my 3d view to an area within it all I see is the yellow frame (transparent 'walls') - the tutorial shows an isometric view from outside with an opaque "bubbly" texture on the walls - should this be cause for concern in your opinion?

There's a row of buttons above the perspective viewport - which one(s) are highlit?

if I'm understanding correctly the only two hi-lighted are Hide Actors During Pan and Perspective (Alt+1)... if I go to the next step and add a light I see a brown wall when I'm in the room but the Texture Browser wont launch (clicking the button does nothing) so maybe there is something wrong... thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Molkehii; 20th May 2006 at 20:13.

If you see brown walls, you're doing okay. That's what the bubbly default texture looks like with light when the Toggle Flesh Render button (green button with ION text) is on.

As for the Texture Browser, it shares the same window with the Actor Class Browser. Just click the Texture tab. You might want to import a MatLib or two. It's under the File menu.

Might be worth having a quick look here for a different perspective on things.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific
    If you see brown walls, you're doing okay. That's what the bubbly default texture looks like with light when the Toggle Flesh Render button (green button with ION text) is on.

As for the Texture Browser, it shares the same window with the Actor Class Browser. Just click the Texture tab. You might want to import a MatLib or two. It's under the File menu.

I'll try the MatLib idea but right now no browser appears - I see in the tutorial what the window should look like (with the tabs) but it doesn't appear at all...

I've heard that sometimes the window gets completely off the screen so you can't see it. Look along the bottom of your screen to see if you can see the top of the window. If so, you can just drag it back into view.

If you still don't see it, try opening EditorPrefs.ini in WordPad and search for "Texture Browser" under "[WindowPositions]" and change the X and Y positions to 0 to force the window to the top left corner of the screen and then reopen the editor. You should be able to see it then.

Thanks Nomad - can't believe that possibility didn't occur to me DOH! must be because of the other abnormality I jumped to conclusions. Anyway I see it now and hopefully I can make it throught he tutorial and maybe create somethign worth posting on my own in time

Glad I could help. I look forward to seeing something you've created. If you have any more question, I'll be lurking here.

Moving clouds

I've made an honest search attempt to find some guidance on this, but no luck. So here goes:

I've got the skybox thing figured out, but how can I make the clouds slowly drift by?

Many thanks.

If you've done Komag's tutorial, it's the same way you make water flow. Add the property render -> Texture Pan and adjust the x and y values as you wish.

Administrator
    I'm having trouble tracking down a way of controlling the voices AIs have. I dropped a female merchant into the world and she started moaning about being a barmaid...

GlasWolf,

Thanks! Looks very nice.

Scumble, try changing Properties/Actor/VoiceTag to +Voice_commoner_f.

I seem to recall I had a very similar problem, I wanted to give a female AI a particular voice set (commoner5?) but it wouldn't do it. I wonder if you can only change the overall class (commoner_f) rather than which specific voice they use.

I saw that some of the stock characters have specific voices. Maybe it's just a matter of getting the syntax right?

Administrator
    I can see that the VoiceTag property is set a fair way up the inheritance tree for Guards (+Voice_guard_m) (T3AIPawnHumanCombat), yet the guards I've dropped in have different voices.

What does OneLinerTag do?

A female aristocrat has +Voice_noble_f, and the merchant female class is +Voice_merchant_f, even though she talks incessantly about serving beer.

Incidentally, is there a good way of getting a list of all these? It would certainly be useful to have a reference page for it.

On another note, they don't seem to be running off for help as I jump around the room.

[edit]Ah, it seems the servants do. I left my body in the corner of a hallway while flying around to see where she went to get help. I'm surprised they weren't shocked.
    Last edited by scumble; 24th May 2006 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    My newbie questions:

1. How do I teleport the camera to a given point in the orthogonal viewports?
    Me too. Anyone?

Also, is it possible to resize the ortho/persp views or otherwise go into one particular view fullscreen? I'm used to Maya and it's annoying the heck out of me.

Are there anything like selection filters, offering the ability to, for instance, disallow clicking of smeshes if they're in the way? What about hiding bsp geometry or smeshes (similar in use to selection filters)?

Why do these GUIs have to be so arcane? It's especially annoying how one has to wiggle his mouse a bit in a particular view before trying to move something!
    Last edited by deadman; 1st Jun 2006 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman
    Me too. Anyone?
    Tut tut, I answered it before - right click then Obsolete -> Align Cameras.
    Also, is it possible to resize the ortho/persp views or otherwise go into one particular view fullscreen?
    Check in the view menu under viewports.
    We probably can't create groups or quick-select sets, right?
    http://www.ttlg.com/wiki/t35t/mediaw..._Group_Browser
    Are there anything like selection filters, offering the ability to, for instance, disallow clicking of smeshes if they're in the way? What about hiding bsp geometry or smeshes (similar in use to selection filters)?
    Well you can choose not to show smeshes (and other things) by right clicking on the icon bar and going into the view menu.

Page 39 of 86 FirstFirst ... 491419242934353637383940414243444954596469747984 ... LastLast