TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Project 1.4.1 Revised: May 20th, 2005.

Minimalist Project 1.4.1 Revised: May 20th, 2005.

MinimalistProject-1.4.1

Always restart the game/ mission before playing with Minimalist or you will not benefit from all the changes.

Custom Sounds -

Loot Chime
    Drinking Health Potion
    Noise Maker Arrow
    Garrett Dying Sounds - sorry, I couldn't resist having the old sudden heart attack death screams.

Difficulty -

All Playstyles now have the same numbers of AI within a level. This wasn't so before as I didn't have access to that without the editor.
    Be sure to check your objectives inside the mission as I was still not able to get them to display at load time.

May 20th - There were varying opinions on the difficulty of the AI in Minimalist 1.4. Some told me to leave the difficulty as it was, while others said it was too hard. It was around 50/50 but I decided to tweak the AI down a bit further in the end. They're still higher than the T3 defaults but have been lowered considerabley from the first Minimalist release. This will be the last change, so I hope it makes all parties happy.

Fatigue - Guards no longer grow tired. It seemed unbalanced to me that guards were gasping for air while Garrett ran marathons.

I tried to make only overweight guards grow tired but I'm having issues with the Behavioral inheritence.

Visibility - Like the original games, drawing any weapon will now make you slightly more visible. Encourages stealth but does not enforce it.

Wall Hugging Invisibilty Bug - Fixed. Guards will find you if they get too close while you are wall hugging.

Many changes that you won't see as they aren't gameplay oriented.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by nickie; 8th Mar 2014 at 02:31. Reason: Updated download link

Awesome! Just got done downloading it.

Edit: Hmm...the only thing I don't like is the strict restrictions on the number of items you can possess. That wasn't something from the other Thief games, though I assume it's an attempt for realism of some kind.
    Last edited by Darkwarrior_II; 30th Mar 2005 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwarrior_II
    Awesome! Just got done downloading it.

Edit: Hmm...the only thing I don't like is the strict restrictions on the number of items you can possess. That wasn't something from the other Thief games, though I assume it's an attempt for realism of some kind.
    Not so much to counter realism but rather to counter the abundance of items you are able to accumulate throughout the game. You can pretty much load up and be a walking tank.

The idea is to get people thinking while they play. Planning, plotting.

So much of this was lessened in the Default T3. I find the game much more engaging now. I hope others will too.

Cheers.

Ah, I see what you mean. I always just played like I did in the first two Thief games and used up as many items as I needed to for each mission, though most of the time that wasn't as much as the other games since T3's missions are usually smaller.

But wow, you've done an outstanding job with this. I always liked Thief III, but I never liked the GUI. It feels so much more like Thief 1 and 2 now! Awesome work!

Hm, blackjack shouldn't make you more visible (unless that was your intention). Other than that, great job! Really improves the game even with such little changes.

Finally thief 3 as a game i want to play yay!... (only now i don't have time, -- ghost mode and high senitivity and only five water arrows makes even the first level too hard to concentrate on just now...) Many thanks!

Now this is what it's about, taffers.

Time to replay the whole thing. It's time to begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Finally thief 3 as a game i want to play yay!... (only now i don't have time, -- ghost mode and high senitivity and only five water arrows makes even the first level too hard to concentrate on just now...) Many thanks!
    My pleasure. Having some funny playing through like this myself. Play testing and playing are two very different things.

Hm, blackjack shouldn't make you more visible (unless that was your intention). Other than that, great job! Really improves the game even with such little changes.
    Nice catch. I've corrected that and am uploading the corrected version as we speak. Not really worth downloading the whole thing again but for purists, it's there.
    Last edited by New Horizon; 30th Mar 2005 at 15:28.

Maybe it's just a problem with mine, but I seem unable to blackjack anyone anymore. I uninstalled Minimalist 1.3 and installed 1.4, then started the game and loaded my save file (the factory in St. Edger's Church). Everytime I try to blackjack someone, they aren't knocked out - instead it just wounds them, as if they were already alert.

New Horizon RULES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Smith
    Maybe it's just a problem with mine, but I seem unable to blackjack anyone anymore. I uninstalled Minimalist 1.3 and installed 1.4, then started the game and loaded my save file (the factory in St. Edger's Church). Everytime I try to blackjack someone, they aren't knocked out - instead it just wounds them, as if they were already alert.
    Try restarting the save file. If you don't restart the save file, there are options that will not be carried over from the save game and will probably cancel out The Minimalist Project. Haven't had this problem myself.

have you managed to get rid of the automatic bj raising?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    have you managed to get rid of the automatic bj raising?
    The blackjack doesn't auto-raise anymore, no. But you'll still need to stand in the correct position to the NPC to knock him/her out, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    MinimalistProject-1.4

Always restart the game/ mission before playing with Minimalist or you will not benefit from all the changes.
    How does that work with a city section? Will Minimalist just kick in after you start the next mission?

I like the idea of Garret's original death scream - used to give me a shock when I heard that Thanks for your continiued efforts

I have the bow upgrade
    Fatigue - Guards no longer grow tired. It seemed unbalanced to me that guards were gasping for air while Garrett ran marathons.
    Another thing I did not know could be fixed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Maybe
    How does that work with a city section? Will Minimalist just kick in after you start the next mission?
    Yep, everything is fine after that. If you're starting in a city mission, just run into a load zone, then come back through and save your game from that point again if you wish. Everything will be Minimalized after that.

I like the idea of Garret's original death scream - used to give me a shock when I heard that Thanks for your continiued efforts
    I know what you mean. I literally used to jump out of my chair sometimes. Oh, and you're quite welcome.

I like the I the minimalist project and I understand why you limited stuff but are we able to disable that feature during install?

(haven't tried 1.4 yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadon
    I like the I the minimalist project and I understand why you limited stuff but are we able to disable that feature during install?

(haven't tried 1.4 yet.)
    Nope, that's one feature that can't be disabled since it's within the gamesys. I'm not a huge fan of optional components myself. I'm a firm believer that it's the developers job to present a unified and balanced experience. That's becoming much harder to do these days with publishers expecting so much for so little. If I were to get really hardcore, the only optional component would be the choice of Hud Style.

At the cost of possibly alienating some players? Some people may, for example, like the HUD changes you've made, but not necessarily like the gameplay changes. Some people may like everything about it except for the sound changes. Etc. I'm a firm believer in giving the user as many options as you can, so that they can customize it exactly how they like it.

Now you've brought back Garrett's dying scream, what about the 'mission failure' screen too? Better than jumping straight back to a menu!

MinimalistProject-1.4
    Testing the new changes I had a guard chasing me round and round some barrels and he stopped to get his breath. - This was one of the city watch in the city section. I haven't tried it with other AI yet but all the other minimalist 4 things seem to be working ok.

Also (not to do with minimalist) I noticed when I was tempting a guard to chase me just how stupid they are. I was stood in full light a few sword lengths in front of him. He started to chase me and I instinctively ran into the shadows. When I turned around he was standing where I had been when he saw me and was going through the "I'll find you" routine and checking the corners etc. I mean, I've never had to run from guards because I play stealthily but I don't like that it is so easy to escape from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupraptor
    At the cost of possibly alienating some players? Some people may, for example, like the HUD changes you've made, but not necessarily like the gameplay changes.
    I'm funny like that. Honestly, I'm not concerned about alienating some players. For me, it's not about reaching the largest audience, it's about reaching the "right" audience. I like T3 for what it is... it's kind of all over the place and not really sure what kind of game it's trying to be...when it could have been...right...THERE. Fortunately, I'm not a development house and I don't have millions of dollars riding on this.

I'm torn - I love some of the changes - wall hugging, loot chime, new fonts, new lockpicking, but I dislike some of the gameplay changes. 3rd person is pretty much useless now, and without 3rd person it's harder to enjoy the graphics - I liked using it to scope out areas, and I loved to watch Garrett blackjack someone from that perspective. Also, I think I'm one of the few people who thought the T3 hud was good (apart from the zoom-overlay, but the sound effects were cool!).

I really appreciate what you've done here, NH, but I think I might just have to venture into the editors guild and change specific things one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja
    I really appreciate what you've done here, NH, but I think I might just have to venture into the editors guild and change specific things one by one.
    Feel free to use the minimalist versions of the T3 files for your work if you're interested. They may make a good starting point for anyone interested in trying to get T3 closer to the feel of the previous games.

NH, you're brilliant!
    I've actually had some fun completing the TUTORIAL mission!!!
    Thank you for resurrecting Garrett.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast