TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thief Icons (now for download!-updated)

New Thief Icons (now for download!-updated)

In anticipation of getting all three Thief games running on Linux shortly, I realized that the old Windows 95 era icons would look out of place on any modern desktop, so I went about making some updated versions.
    Here are the originals:

And here's what I came up with:

Anyway, I wanted icons that had the same theme as the originals, but that didn't look as if they were 5 years old. I'm also working on new icons for the Deus Ex and System Shock series, as you can see from the included Deus Ex icon.

Edit:
    They're done; a zip file containing both ICO and PNG versions can be downloaded here:
    http://www.tyrino.com/jonathan/Icons.zip
    Re-Edit:
    A new version is available here; these icons are the same, but should be a bit larger in use. I'll remove the original link after we've made sure there aren't any problems with these:
    http://www.tyrino.com/jonathan/New_Icons.zip

Here's what the new ones look like in windows, compared to the originals and other normal Windows icons:

Original post follows...

If you want to see what they look like on a desktop, check the image below: (careful, image is big)
    Last edited by Kerrle; 12th Apr 2005 at 23:02.

They're very nice. What's this about getting these games to run on Linux? Are you talking about with Cedega?

Well, with Wine in general. Cedega will run Thief I and II, and System Shock 2, pretty much perfectly now - you even get the cinemas. I just installed Thief II and System Shock 2 and was quite suprised when I heard Shodan's "Look at you, h-h-hacker..."

In fact, you can run them in a window, and avoid the resolution change in menus, which always bugged me about Dark engine games.

Non-Cedega wine is quickly improving it's DX9 support; within a few months, even vanilla wine from WineHQ should be able to play all of these with no problems. Even the safedisc protection works on most drives, as long as you've told wine to pretend to be Windows 2000 or XP. I fully expect Thief III and Deus Ex II to be completely playable within the next 2-3 months; already they display, just with messed up menus and whatnot.

Since System Shock 2 used Shodan's face for the icon, you could use the hackers modified face (the one that was on the box cover) for System Shock 1.

Download this theme from ttlg, open it up & view the System Shock Wallpaper (.bmp or .jpg) file if you don't know the face I'm refering to.

Great icons I must say, offer them up for download when they're ready please.

Nice work! I'm very interested in the prospect of .ico versions, if you'd be so kind.

Edit: Oh, and would it be possible to get a blue version of the T: DS one to go with the editor?
    Last edited by Gestalt; 11th Apr 2005 at 01:02.

Sure; that's a great idea. I was also considering doing one for Darkloader and other related projects. I put these together this afternoon; each icon doesn't take long.

To Nedan:
    I've gotten the image, and I'll make an icon out of it, but since I got into Shock late and got my copy used, I just don't associate that face with the game...I'll do that one for now, but I may make another one later.
    Last edited by Kerrle; 11th Apr 2005 at 02:08.

Well, I created icons for System Shock I and II. I will probably make a TriOptimum icon to replace the Shock I icon I currently have, but they'll both stay available.

To complete this little set, I need to make a Deus Ex II icon. Any ideas? I can work some things out, but the games logo isn't useable like the first DX's was, and there aren't really any identifyable in-game logos I can think of other than the Tarsus one, and that wouldn't fit.

Wow, those are great!

- chrish

Nice icons, gimme gimme gimme.

Voice Actor
    Isn't an ICO file nothing more than a bitmap with the file extension changed to BMP? Of course, that's in Windows, I don't know much about Linux. My UNIX experience is from the days before GUIs were invented.

Don

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedan
    Since System Shock 2 used Shodan's face for the icon, you could use the hackers modified face (the one that was on the box cover) for System Shock 1.
    That wasn't the hacker. It was an Elite Cyborg.

Isn't an ICO file nothing more than a bitmap with the file extension changed to BMP?
    No, actually - ICO files may have been that way back when, but now they're library files that can contain multiple image formats, each capabable of being up to 32-bit with an alpha channel. The downside is that each icon is still stored internally as an uncompressed bitmap, so .ICO files with modern-looking images can get quite large.

On modern Linux/Unix systems, such as the Gnome desktop, you can use any image file you like for icons, as long as the system knows how to open that file. Most people use .PNG or .XPM images, as they're not lossy.

Damn ZylonBane... if it was, I couldn't tell. The graphics in-game were ok in my book, but not good enough for me to take careful notice of. But maybe it could've been that when I got to them, I shot first & then looked.

Kerrle, I guess I associate that face with the game because I got into it when it was released. The TriOptimum logo would also be a great addition to that set for the entire System Shock series in general.

As for Deus Ex: Invisible War, my only suggestion would be the background eye image that you see on the official website. It looked interesting enough for an icon IMHO.

That's as good an idea as any I've had so far.

I'll add the Darkloader and DX2 icons to the image at the top when they're done. The .ICO and .PNG files will be up today, but probably not until after work.

ZylonBane

Kerrle's icon inexplicably cuts this guy's mortarboard down to dreadlocks.

It's not so inexplicable if you could see the source image I was working with. I'll redo it now that I've seen what it really looks like - though I'm going to make a TriOp icon for my own SS1 use.

I've finished the Deus Ex II icon, and it looks decent, but I'm still open to suggestion.

For Darkloader, I was planning the T1 and T2 icons here shrunk down and placed slightly on top of eachother - think like the visa logo at a 45 degree angle. Again, open to suggestions.

Per ZylonBane's suggestion, I've corrected the Shock I icon to properly reflect the character. I also tweaked the DX2 Eye a bit. You guys like that, or would you rather I had some blue ciruitry behind it, fading out towards the edges?

Alternative DX2 suggestion

The symbol in the background here:

I'll do different DX2 and Shock 1 icons later, but I've gone ahead and packaged the current ones.

The icons are up; I've put a zip file in the first post of this topic.

For right now, I've only included PNG files and Windows XP icons (24-bit with alpha), as really, without an Alpha channel, there's not much point in bothering with new icons. If someone really wants a non-alpha-channel version, I'll do that too, but realize things like the smoothness around the edges will be reduced.

Thanks!

Kerrle, awesome work. I'll download these at home later. Props, dude/dudette.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Taffer
    Kerrle, awesome work. I'll download these at home later. Props, dude/dudette.
    Dude.

I have the bow upgrade
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle
    Dude.
    Sweeeeeet.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast