TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must-Have Mods for the New Guy

Must-Have Mods for the New Guy

Just started playing SS2 again and I was extremely happy to find a ton of new cool mods out for it...

Other than the obvious Rebirth and SHTUP mods, what are a few others to get? I've been poking around at Shock Unlimited and there's quite a few ones for weapon sound effects and such...

Anyway, what are a few of the better mods to get? I'm gonna try a sound one, but there's three or four to get and I'm not quite sure...

Also does anyone know if there's a weapon retexture or similar high-res weapon models? I saw a screenshot somewhere of a high-res shotgun, but I haven't managed to find any mod for that one...

Thanks a ton.

-Dust

Welcome to the forums, AboveTheDust!
    Quote Originally Posted by AboveTheDust
    Other than the obvious Rebirth and SHTUP mods, what are a few others to get? I've been poking around at Shock Unlimited and there's quite a few ones for weapon sound effects and such...
    If this is your first time through the game, I recommend that you don't install any mods at all. Just slap on the Official Patch (you'll need it to complete the game), and play. After the initial runthrough, I'd recommend Rebirth (as well as the Rebirth Rumbler, the Rebirth Monkeys, and ZylonBane's Rebirth Monkeys, all on Shock Unlimited) and SHTUP. Also, you may want to install Zombe's Mod Manager, as it comes with several mods, like a new sky texture, a few color mods, and several colors of laser rapiers, just to name a few.
    Anyway, what are a few of the better mods to get? I'm gonna try a sound one, but there's three or four to get and I'm not quite sure...
    I haven't tried any sound mods, so I can't help you there.
    Also does anyone know if there's a weapon retexture or similar high-res weapon models? I saw a screenshot somewhere of a high-res shotgun, but I haven't managed to find any mod for that one...
    That mod was just brought up in this thread. As you can see, I'm hoping for a link myself. Keep checking back there to see if Livo comes back with a link.

Enchantermon
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantermon
    Just slap on the Official Patch (you'll need it to complete the game)
    Just wanted to say this:

You don't need the patch to finish the game! I completed it with no patches or cheats

Right, that's out the way, here's my humble opinion on the matter:

First time through: No mods, patch optional

Second time through, Rebirth, SHTUP, Patch, Sound Mods Optional

Third and subsequent times through, Whatever you like

Just slap on the Official Patch (you'll need it to complete the game)
    Yeah, where does that come from? All the patch does is fix some bugs and add Multiplayer. I can't count the times I completed the game before even knowing there was a patch...

To answer the question, I second SHODANs Hacker's opinion, nothing on the first run is best, OR if you want one absolutely, SHTUP and Straylight's mods. The rest, only if you have played at least once already.

ZylonBane
    ZylonBane's Rebirth Monkeys
    Which, I rush to mention, are just Cyberblutch's Rebirth Monkeys (beta) with some work done on the textures.

There's also no need to download both versions, as my version includes all the necessary files.

Quote Originally Posted by averroes
    Yeah, where does that come from? All the patch does is fix some bugs and add Multiplayer. I can't count the times I completed the game before even knowing there was a patch...
    Errr, do you have the GOTY addition? I do belive that the original version was impossible to complete do to a bug on Hydro, in which the window to the room with 2 vials of Toxin A and where you start that whole little mission.

Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    There's also no need to download both versions, as my version includes all the necessary files.
    Really? For some reason I thought it didn't. Hmm. I'll have to remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrime
    Errr, do you have the GOTY addition?
    My brain's not functioning.....what's that version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrime
    I do belive that the original version was impossible to complete do to a bug on Hydro, in which the window to the room with 2 vials of Toxin A and where you start that whole little mission.

Is that right?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I should have said, though, some versions of the game come already patched (like mine).

Enchantermon
    TNTís Lair

+ the 3 stars problem which might disable you from completing the game.
    So Enchantermon was almost right... Or not completely wrong for that matter!
    It might become impossible to finish the game without the patch! And the in-your-face spawning that you sometimes get without it is not too nice either...

AI

Quote Originally Posted by Ai Amano
    Actually, Soma Transference would work there. But if you aren't a psi person, then yeah, you're stuck.
    Well, I don't know. I've heard for so long that you can't finish the game without the patch, and now.....
    And the in-your-face spawning that you sometimes get without it is not too nice either...
    Oh, that still happens with the patch. Went through a bulkhead on Rec, and a hybrid spawned right in front of it. A long, long time ago (I can still remember ), I set off the alarm in Hydro and a hybrid spawned as close as he could get to me without standing on my head!

Enchantermon
    TNTís Lair

AboveTheDust:

While the patch is not technically necessary, it is a good idea to use it. It adds multiplayer, a couple little things here and there, and, most importantly, fixes a couple random bugs.

Without it, there is a chance that you could get into a couple spots where no progress is possible. Then again you may be fine. Either way, get the patch. If you've already started a game, you won't have to restart after applying the patch.

I also beat the game once without the patch, then twice with the patch. Half way with rebirth and patch:P. Now im playing through again about a year later with models textures and straylight.

GOTY = Game of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by averroes
    All the patch does is fix some bugs and add Multiplayer.
    Some of those bugs can be complete show stoppers if they occur, though. For example, I remember reading about is one I've never heard of since, so I might as well share for kicks. I read that on Deck 6, (don't look beneath the blue, AboveTheDust, it's going to spoil you beyond belief!) if you hacked the replicator that gives you the sympathetic resonator before you get the e-mail from Shodan telling you about it, you would be stuck. You can't hack the replicator again, can't get the resonator. Anyways, when Enchantermon was reading through my walkthrough, he pointed out that he'd investigated that bug, and it didn't happen. I checked it out, and lo and behold, it wasn't there! That kind of bug would've been a show-stopper, but if you know better, you'd never run into it.

My brain's not functioning.....what's that version?
    That's the catch -- I'm not sure it even exists. There was the EA Classics version. You know the one, it's the one that resides in your SS2 CD case. Or your CD drive. That one came with the patch installed, it's probably the one Bluegrime meant. I think . . .

I do belive that the original version was impossible to complete do to a bug on Hydro, in which the window to the room with 2 vials of Toxin A and where you start that whole little mission.

Is that right?
    That's the exact bug I remember reading about, back in my days before SS2 was running right. Makes me want to cry. Read about the bug, knew it wasn't happening for me, because I wasn't getting that far, so I didn't bother with the entire patch. Which in the end was probably what got the game running for me.

Even geniuses have their down days, but this wasn't one of his. *pats wrench* Right guys?

Well, I don't know. I've heard for so long that you can't finish the game without the patch, and now.....
    It's okay, between the BOTM bug and the Hydroponics bug, those are two major show stoppers. The people who had them would've screamed loudly about it, it would've been one of the main things mentioned when saying the patch is something you really should install.

Oh, that still happens with the patch. Went through a bulkhead on Rec, and a hybrid spawned right in front of it.
    There's nothing like wandering down a hallway and seeing a nasty appear out of thin air and immediately start firing. It's one of the reasons I've learned to love the Dark engine, nothing could scare me so easily as that.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Since this is my second time through, the first one being back in 2001, I'm looking for a modded experience.

But just a few questions:

Where in the world can I get the new Rumbler model and the reskin of the Rebirth Midwife? I've been looking all over for those two and I can't find them anywhere, and the place where I found the "file downloads" had been taken down about a year ago.

Anyone have a site? Or if they can't be found, anyone nice enough to E-mail me? I really, really, REALLY want to see the new Rumbler, and a updated midwife would be good to have too... The screenshots I've seen from the Rebirth seem sort of weird. I was terrified of the original's lipless smile and forced-open eyes, and I really want that back.

Mods running:
    -Rebirth 01 Beta (Pipe/Shotgun Hybird, Crew Bodies [NO Rumber/Midwife])
    -SHTUP

On SHTUP, I noticed the Xerxes logo underneath his face hasn't been done over in high-res.

By the way, I've managed to rip a few Xerxes/SHODAN sounds and made them into my error beeps and boops. Hearing SHODAN say "I will not allow this" and Xerxes saying "Security online" whenever a popup comes up is pretty damn sweet.

The other beeps are my error messages, which have Xerxes saying "We apologize for the inconvenience" and "We regret the inconvenience."

Lame, but fun showing it off to people not in the know..

-Dust

http://www.strangebedfellows.schwarz...board,2.0.html

Rebirth complimented has the reskinned midwife, IIRC, (and I have it as well, so if worst comes to worst . . . ) as well as the rumbler, and the monkeys. There's something about the monkeys I don't like, they just seem like they're not quite ready to be released. They have odd edges to them, they seem too big, they just don't seem right. But that's just my opinion. You may love 'em.

I had a sound setup like that on my computer once upon a time. I really should do it again. I never have the sound unmuted unless I'm gaming, but still. My boot up sound file was 'welcome to my death machine, interloper!'

ZylonBane
    On SHTUP, I noticed the Xerxes logo underneath his face hasn't been done over in high-res.
    And it's not going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    And it's not going to be.
    That takes care of that, then.

It wasn't really nitpicking, just something I randomly happened to notice while checking out everything else. SHTUP is quite awesome, I must say.

-Dust

ZylonBane
    Of course, by "it's not going to be", I mean, "hold on a sec...".

http://home.att.net/~shtup/images/xerxes_compare.jpg
    "Look at you, hacker, a pathetic creature who smells of elderberries. Now leave, insect, or I shall taunt you a second time."

Heh, so it was an object texture afterall.

ZylonBane
    No, it wasn't.

Wha? You mean the original texture was that blurry? Hum...

IIRC this is an exclusive bug from an early beta nobody is supposed to have.

From the patch readme:
    Many Boss Brain: In certain cases, at the end of the Body of the Many, one of the three spinning star-shaped thingies orbiting the Many's brain would disappear. As it is necessary to destroy all 3 of the spinning star thingies to destroy the brain, the result of this bug is that the game gets in an unwinnable state. The patch fixes both the case in which the bug happens and savegames that are already in the bad state.
    No need to mention this in a readme if nobody is supposed to have that bug.

AI

An official patch used the word 'thingies' and discussed major spoilers?

Why dont you just read it? It has a SPOILERS warning btw.

AI